autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st day with my Flex 3401

I'm aware all foam pads lose their firmness to some degree during polishing. Some become more mushy than others. Over time during a polishing session, the Meg's maroon cutting pad holds it's firmness better than the hybrid orange and blue, IME.

I didn't mean the Meg's foam pads make the machine more enjoyable over the hybrid pads, it was more of a general statement.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Just to note...

I show and recommend the Meguiar's foam pads for the Flex 3401 in my new Flex 3401 how-to book. You'll find a picture of the pads and my comments about the thick versus thin version on page 18.

Little tidbit of information...

This how-to book became available to the public about one week before SEMA started. At that time the pads were still top secret as they were to be announced and introduced to the world at SEMA.

Was a simple oversight but not a single person spotted these and broke the news in the forum world. Also shown in the Flex 3401 book were the new Sonax products on page 28.

Click here to get your own copy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to note...

I show and recommend the Meguiar's foam pads for the Flex 3401 in my new Flex 3401 how-to book. You'll find a picture of the pads and my comments about the thick versus thin version on page 18.

Little tidbit of information...

This how-to book became available to the public about one week before SEMA started. At that time the pads were still top secret as they were to be announced and introduced to the world at SEMA.

Was a simple oversight but not a single person spotted these and broke the news in the forum world. Also shown in the Flex 3401 book were the new Sonax products on page 28.

Click here to get your own copy

Although they're the same colors, aren't the 7" soft buff rotary pads different foam compared to the new DA foam discs?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

While we are on the subject of Pads used for the Flex 3401, and in regards to other non-forced rotation DAs I have some questions regarding such?

Would one say that the Flex by its forced rotation feature, it is harder on any given foam Pad per se, or no?

Like it is noted by you folks, pads lose their firmness due to product absorbtion. I imagine heat too also breaks down a pad.

With a machine like the PC7424XP, I note that one usually by its design has to use either speeds 5 or 6 for correcting, otherwise Pad-Plate Rotation suffers.

Now with the Flex 3401, is it a quality due to forced rotation, that one doesn't necessarily have to run the machine "full out" at its highest speeds to be effective? Thus perhaps actually less detrimental to shortening pad life because of this? Meaning there's actually less heat generated?

Hope the way I worded my questions is understandable.
    Thanks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work OP. I've been a flex guy for over a yr now. I tried the LHR15, it was ok for a couple months until it broke. Now I use the 3401 and PE-14 in tandem. One of the best 1-2 punches in the business!!
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

We also did my friends older 4runner.

Using D151 and orange pads. He used a PC on half, I used the Flex on half. Not racing, just a quick AIO one step going our own pace. Speed 5 on Flex, Speed 5.5-6 on PC.

I finished about 15 minutes before he did, and my side had much better depth and clarity. The Flex just ripped right through it.
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

While we are on the subject of Pads used for the Flex 3401, and in regards to other non-forced rotation DAs I have some questions regarding such?

Would one say that the Flex by its forced rotation feature, it is harder on any given foam Pad per se, or no?
    The answer is yes but due to the ability to push the machine harder than a free rotating spindle machine my guess and experience is guys DO tend to push the machine harder, (I know I do), and thus it's not just the machine being harder on pads it's us.

Like it is noted by you folks, pads lose their firmness due to product absorption. I imagine heat too also breaks down a pad.
    Pressure over time creates heat. So pressing a pad against a panel and buffing creates heat. The longer you buff, the harder you push the more heat you create.

The violent oscillating action plus any chemical seepage to the adhesive and Velcro of both the pad and the backing plate PLUS the heat created by pressure over time, all of these factors affect pads in a negative manner but that's the nature of the beast.

With a machine like the PC7424XP, I note that one usually by its design has to use either speeds 5 or 6 for correcting, otherwise Pad-Plate Rotation suffers.
    I'm pretty much on the 6 for everything by light polishing or machine sanding.

Now with the Flex 3401, is it a quality due to forced rotation, that one doesn't necessarily have to run the machine "full out" at its highest speeds to be effective?
    Some people like to use the lower speeds for correction work, I think that's the jist of Mike aka smack's technique for using the Flex 3401.

My take on it is I tend to always recommend a range to other people and let them decide what speed works best for them tailored to their,

• Pads
    • Chemicals
    • Working climate (low/high temperatures, inside/outside, windy or no wind)
    • Type of cars and thus type of paint
    • Type of cars and thus type of body panels

I just find to state a specific speed setting to be kind of limiting when I deal with people that live all over the world. Whether coming to this forum or coming to my class. For example I have a guy coming to my class this weekend from New Zealand, about 8000 miles away. I'm not going to tell him in his location for his cars for his pads and products a specific speed to use any tool but instead a range that is known to work.

Me? If I'm doing correction work with the Flex 3401 I'm almost always on the 6 speed setting for a number of reasons, one is there's actually VALUE to just being able to knock out the correction step as fast as you can.

I switch cutting pads out often so pad condition is a huge variable to speed when doing correction work.

Thus perhaps actually less detrimental to shortening pad life because of this? Meaning there's actually less heat generated?
    I would agree that running the Flex at a slower speed setting would be less destructive on pads in general.

Hope the way I worded my questions is understandable.
    Thanks, Mark

Always clear Mark.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    We also did my friends older 4runner.

Using D151 and orange pads. He used a PC on half, I used the Flex on half. Not racing, just a quick AIO one step going our own pace. Speed 5 on Flex, Speed 5.5-6 on PC.

I finished about 15 minutes before he did, and my side had much better depth and clarity. The Flex just ripped right through it.

For the last three years I've taught a class at Mobile Tech Expo called,

How to detail faster and maximize profits

The description for the class reads,

Mike Phillips, author of How to use the Flex 3401, will show you how to turn the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher into your own money making machine for doing both production detailing and show car detailing.

The classroom this year hold 147 people and every seat was taken.

2015 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule

The key is to use the softest pad you can get away with and cleaner/waxes that use great abrasive technology.

And do a Test Spot first... or course...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1USMC View Post

Now I use the 3401 and PE-14 in tandem.

One of the best 1-2 punches in the business!!

That's my second class at Mobile Tech Expo

Class 2 - How to reduce correction time and make more money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    That's my second class at Mobile Tech Expo

Class 2 - How to reduce correction time and make more money

I can't wait to take your classes when I get back to the states Mike - you've truly been an inspiration to me and following your sage advice I've been able to take my business to the next level.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast