autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are Lake County CCS pads ok for the Flex 3401 or is there a better choice

Are Lake County CCS pads ok for the Flex 3401 or is there a better choice

Hello guys. I'm still relatively new to the whole correcting paint and started out with my PC and LC CCS pads as part of a kit about 2 1/2 years ago. I almost exclusively use Wolfgang products also. (WF groupie I swear!) I've since gotten better at this paint correcting with practice and now want to step up to the Flex 3401 to correct faster. My PCXP stopping on curves gets kind of annoying at times.

My question is about pads. I only have experience with the Lake County CCS pads. But in my researching on the Flex, I keep hearing about Hydro-tech and Hybrid Lake County pads. I've read that the Hybrid ones recommended for the Flex.....

1. Are the CCS pads good or just ok to use for the Flex?
    2. Do the Hybrid pads just work that much better/faster than a CCS pad would?
    3. Would a Hybrid pad be better on my PC than the CCS pads I currently use now?

I just bought a bunch of CCS pads and would like to know if I should return them for the Hybrids when I make the Flex leap.

I've research and seem to just being getting overwhelmed by all I have researched.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond,
    Michael

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are Lake County CCS pads ok for the Flex 3401 or is there a better choice

I use LC CCS 5 1/2" pads with good results.

I have not tried the hybrid pads.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the Hybrid pads are the best pads with using the Flex. While you do have to purchase the LC interchangeable backing plate for the proper fit they work great. I have found that the 5" Pads make using the flex much more fun and easier than with the larger pads.

Anytime I use my Flex I have only used the hybrid pads. I highly recommend them to anyone with a Flex.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I use LC CCS 5 1/2" pads with good results.

I have not tried the hybrid pads.
    Forgot to mention that I did have the circumference of the standard FLEX 3401 backing plate sanded down to accommodate the 5 1/2" pads

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool1975 View Post
    1. Are the CCS pads good or just ok to use for the Flex?
    They work great. I've used them on tons of car projects with no problems whatsoever...

Actually did the correction work on this using the Flex 3401 with 6.5" CCS Pads...

Used the orange pad with Uber Compound - (no picture)
    Used the black pad with the Finishing Glaze - (see picture below)

Candy Apple 1955 Ford F100 with Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

I really needed to take a rotary buffer to the paint but I had the Flex 3401 already out and ready to use so I just did the best I could in the time I had...

Some pretty deep scratches...
    I used an orange foam cutting pad first and that removed all the swirls, it didn't get out all the really deep scratches. Some were deep enough that it would probably be faster to machine sand them first using some #3000 followed by #5000 but on a TV set you really don't have time as a luxury. In this shot I'm re-polishing with a soft foam pad and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish to max out the gloss and clarity.

Next I machine applied Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish using the Porter Cable 7424XP

Then hand applied Black Label Diamond Paint Coating...

A soft final wipe...

Came out okay...

2. Do the Hybrid pads just work that much better/faster than a CCS pad would?
    For me it's the flat pad design and the pad formula. CCS are Open Cell and Hybrid are part open and part closed. (at least that's my understanding).

I use the term "Optimized" to describe how I think a tool is set up best for max effectiveness.

See this article and you'll see I set our forum member Eric up with a Flex 3401 with the Lake Country 4" backing plate so he could use 5" Hybrid Pads.

Rupes 21 & Flex 3401 Comparison + Detailer's Paint Coating

3. Would a Hybrid pad be better on my PC than the CCS pads I currently use now?
    NO!

Remember these words when it comes to choosing pads for the Porter Cable 7424XP or any of the copies of this tool that started it all.

Thin is in...

Even have an article by that name...

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

I've been playing around with these new thin foam buffing pads and really like them. The thinness makes it a breeze for all DA Polishers to maintain rotation and oscillation when removing swirls, water spots, oxidation and scratches.

These will be a great pad for anyone still using a first generation PC or Meguiar's G100, see this article...

How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

Here's a couple pictures I took to show the difference between the thickness of the new 7/8" pads and the 1 1/4" version of these pads.

Also, either the Cyan or Tangerine pads work great with our Indigo Bonnets for removing waxes that dry.

Indigo on Hydro

On Autogeek.net
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads
    Cobra™ Indigo 6 Inch Microfiber Bonnets 2 pack
    Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    1959 Cadillac 2-door Coupe de Ville (Out of stock)

I cover th topic of thin, small diameter pads for PC's and PC style tools in detail in my how to books...

Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book by Mike Phillips

I just bought a bunch of CCS pads and would like to know if I should return them for the Hybrids when I make the Flex leap.
    CCS pads are open cell and open cell pad, generally speaking last longer than any other type of foam formula.

I'd burn through them and then someday get the 4" backing plate and 5" Hybrid pads. Open Cell are also the easiest to wash and dry. I talk about this in my how to books too...

I have a brand new book dedicated to the Flex 3401, not sure when it will get through the editing process.

Hope the above helps... should give you some information to think about and chew on for a while...

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

This will be an awesome read I am sure. Looking forward to it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I have a brand new book dedicated to the Flex 3401, not sure when it will get through the editing process.

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid Pads with the Lake county backing plate with the Flex 3401 is what I use. I did try Hydro Pads a few times and it worked great, the only thing is I wish Hydro pads last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    IMO the Hybrid pads are the best pads with using the Flex. While you do have to purchase the LC interchangeable backing plate for the proper fit they work great. I have found that the 5" Pads make using the flex much more fun and easier than with the larger pads.

Anytime I use my Flex I have only used the hybrid pads. I highly recommend them to anyone with a Flex.
    I much prefer the 5.5" pads to the 6.5" on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Forgot to mention that I did have the circumference of the standard FLEX 3401 backing plate sanded down to accommodate the 5 1/2" pads
    I believe I did stumble upon your post about cutting down your stock backing plate. The backing plate I have now on my PC is slightly smaller than the 5.5" pads I use and like how much closer to the edge of the pad than it is with the 6.5" pads

Quote Originally Posted by Detail_Workx View Post
    Hybrid Pads with the Lake county backing plate with the Flex 3401 is what I use. I did try Hydro Pads a few times and it worked great, the only thing is I wish Hydro pads last longer.
    If you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on why the Hydro pads don't last very long? Did they only last one or two detailing sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    For me it's the flat pad design and the pad formula. CCS are Open Cell and Hybrid are part open and part closed. (at least that's my understanding).

I use the term "Optimized" to describe how I think a tool is set up best for max effectiveness.

CCS pads are open cell and open cell pad, generally speaking last longer than any other type of foam formula.

I'd burn through them and then someday get the 4" backing plate and 5" Hybrid pads. Open Cell are also the easiest to wash and dry. I talk about this in my how to books too...

Hope the above helps... should give you some information to think about and chew on for a while...

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

I recently bought a Grit Guard pad washer, would that make it easier to clean the Hybrid pads?

I've read the articles links you posted, thanks!

I agree, thin is in! It is so much easier to work with on my PCXP! So much more smoother too! The kit I got came with 6.5" pads and I got a orange CCS 5.5" pad in a Wolfgang twin set and needed it in a pinch, holy cow was it so much easier and nicer than a 6.5" pad. I'm assuming cause the PC just doesn't have the power/forced rotation to utilize it a bigger pad. So now I only use the 5.5" pads with my PC.

Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using hydro pads for awhile now, they're great! I happen to have quite a few but I will soon making the transition to 5" hybrid pads. One additional note, I find with the smaller pad, I have more control of the flex. Can't wait to try out the 5" hybrids...

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned the 5" hybrid pads are best suited for use on the 3401.

I have used a few other pads but NONE perform and handle the way the hybrids pads do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast