autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot?

I unfortunately started with a baby polisher and now I'm in need of something that really works. I was all set to pick up the Flex3401 when Rupes Bigfoot hit the scene. Is Rupes now the go to polisher using the washer trick to get better rotation? or is the Flex3401 still king? I have 2 days and 18 hours to get this figured out before the sale is over. Thank you for any thoughts you may be able to provide.

Haz

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot?

The best situation would be for you to try both before buying. The forced rotation of the Flex 3401 seems to be highly polarizing, people either love it or hate it. If you're looking at this strictly as a popularity contest the Rupes is certainly the flavor of the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    And in 6 months something else will be king. Cyclo polisher is due for a comeback.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great. Check out my NOVA detailing breakdown review of both machines.

I would agree with Lost that the flex is either love/hate. the Rupes is the flavor of the week, yes, but it is a sick machine.

I enjoyed using both polishers, and will probably opt for the 3401VRG as my next step up, just due to the forced rotation aspect over the larger throw of the Rupes.
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Cyclo polisher is due for a comeback.
    You've been over at Adam's Polishes too much.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    I unfortunately started with a baby polisher and now I'm in need of something that really works. I was all set to pick up the Flex3401 when Rupes Bigfoot hit the scene. Is Rupes now the go to polisher using the washer trick to get better rotation? or is the Flex3401 still king? I have 2 days and 18 hours to get this figured out before the sale is over. Thank you for any thoughts you may be able to provide.

Haz
    I used the Rupes Bigfoot 21 with the 6" backing plate yesterday on my truck and I have to say, I was impressed.

Bouncers Capture the Rapture Monster Truck Detail

I'm a huge fan of the Flex 3401 though and it's two main best features are...

1. Pro Grade - If you're detailing full time for money, you should be purchasing tools that won't wear out or break if you drop them.

2. Gear driven, forced rotation and forced oscillation. You cannot stop the pad from spinning no matter what.

I prefer the Flex 3401 with the LC 4" backing plate and the LC 5" Hybrid pads. Set-up like this there's pretty much nothing you can't tackle and do the job right without any wasted time.

Tough choice, both tools are very different but also very good. Like Lost Highway stated, some people really like the Flex 3401 while some people don't like it. The thing is you don't know until you actually get one in your hands and buff out a few cars.

That's what's so cool about my detailing classes, you get to use LOTS of tools and work on cool cars and then you'll have a real world opinion that will help you to make up your mind.

Ah heck... get them both...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I used the Rupes Bigfoot 21 with the 6" backing plate yesterday on my truck and I have to say, I was impressed.

Bouncers Capture the Rapture Monster Truck Detail

I'm a huge fan of the Flex 3401 though and it's two main best features are...

1. Pro Grade - If you're detailing full time for money, you should be purchasing tools that won't wear out or break if you drop them.

2. Gear driven, forced rotation and forced oscillation. You cannot stop the pad from spinning no matter what.

I prefer the Flex 3401 with the LC 4" backing plate and the LC 5" Hybrid pads. Set-up like this there's pretty much nothing you can't tackle and do the job right without any wasted time.

Tough choice, both tools are very different but also very good. Like Lost Highway stated, some people really like the Flex 3401 while some people don't like it. The thing is you don't know until you actually get one in your hands and buff out a few cars.

That's what's so cool about my detailing classes, you get to use LOTS of tools and work on cool cars and then you'll have a real world opinion that will help you to make up your mind.

Ah heck... get them both...

...I have both!
    Best regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

You CANNOT deny the forced rotation of the 3401. On the other hand, it has a mind of it's own, it can be harder to control than a traditional DA.

The Rupes is great with it's huge throw, which equals very fast correction. It's pretty easy to control. However, on non flat panels, the pad stops rotating too easily. That really bugs me.

They both have their pros and cons.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

^^ was waiting for you to post some more details, Mark - you were (are?) very vocal about the 3401. which worked better, for you, on the Z?
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast