autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Flex3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot?

In my article here,

New 4" and 6" Backing Plates for Flex 3401

I included these pictures showing a 4" pad on the 4 3/8" backing plate, this will give you and idea of how much overhange, (reversesed of course), you will have trying to put a smaller backing on a larger backing plate.

The 4 3/8" backing plate is too large to use safely with a 4" spot repair pad

Here's the new 4" backing plate with a 4" pad

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Rupes 15, 21, Flex 3401, and the Flex PE14-2. The Rupes does act weirdly on curved panels where others don't and it bothers me. I'm not applying pressure either. Seems as though whatever your buffing has to be perfectly flat for proper pad rotation. The 3401 is great, fast results and very powerful. My favorite is the PE14-2. I know it's not a DA but damn its good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess all in personal preference. I owned a 3401 and once I got my Griots DA i sold my Flex as i feel it didnt add anything and I just didnt like the way it felt using it wanting to run away if not perfectly flat and felt like it was a choir to use. I just got a Rupes 15 last week and will say at first I didnt like the Rupes but after giving it a good work out and figuring out how it works. I love it. it works alot faster then my griots and takes no effort to keep it under control or any pressure. I would take my Rupes over a Flex anyday..hell I would take my Griots over a flex anyday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowWRX View Post
    I guess all in personal preference. I owned a 3401 and once I got my Griots DA i sold my Flex as i feel it didnt add anything and I just didnt like the way it felt using it wanting to run away if not perfectly flat and felt like it was a choir to use. I just got a Rupes 15 last week and will say at first I didnt like the Rupes but after giving it a good work out and figuring out how it works. I love it. it works alot faster then my griots and takes no effort to keep it under control or any pressure. I would take my Rupes over a Flex anyday..hell I would take my Griots over a flex anyday
    And that Ladys and Gentlemen is whay it's good to have choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetera413 View Post
    I have the Rupes 15, 21, Flex 3401, and the Flex PE14-2. The Rupes does act weirdly on curved panels where others don't and it bothers me. I'm not applying pressure either. Seems as though whatever your buffing has to be perfectly flat for proper pad rotation. The 3401 is great, fast results and very powerful. My favorite is the PE14-2. I know it's not a DA but damn its good.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You're not alone the PE14 is one sweet machine. I'm with Mike (now there a stretch, lol) if you have a DA and a RB you can tackle most anything that comes your way.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to see if those who complain about the Flex walking use Rotary or not.

Rotary has taught me to have a very good hand and keeping the pad perfectly flat (if you don't you will really learn what walking is)

So the FLEX shouldn't be a problem for me.

With that said i still bought the Rupes. I am treating it as a step up from the PC and GG.

The FLEX is more like if a rotary and a DA had babies thats what you would get.

It's the in between. The Rupes is still a DA. The FLEX is a FORCED DA.

My PE14 is my favorite machine. Rotary power without all the weight and size.
    OCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianch View Post

So why do these two machines always get compared to each other. Seems the 3401 is in a category all it's own and the Rupes in the category with GG, PC and all the other DA's. (Maybe its price point) For once I would like to hear someone ask Rupes or GG or PC.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it is about the price point. When I compared them and bought the 3401, I concluded that the Rupes was in the category of DA, not Forced DA.

What I can't figure out is why no one has come up with an actual competitor for the XC3401, with forced rotation. It seems to be alone in its category.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianch View Post
    I am interested to see if those who complain about the Flex walking use Rotary or not.

Rotary has taught me to have a very good hand and keeping the pad perfectly flat (if you don't you will really learn what walking is) This is the proper technique.

So the FLEX shouldn't be a problem for me. Should be a cake walk.

With that said i still bought the Rupes. I am treating it as a step up from the PC and GG. That would be correct, most powerful pure DA yet.

It's the in between. The Rupes is still a DA. The FLEX is a FORCED DA.

My PE14 is my favorite machine. Rotary power without all the weight and size. Yea it doesn't get any better than this for RB's.
    I believe the 3401 walking thing is over done. Not bragging but I can operate the 3401 one handed so it can't really be a big issue. Can I make it walk? Yep just turn it on edge. It's not really a big deal.

When my daughter first started driving she was always on the right side of her lane now with a little expierence she stays center of the lane. Same thing here just use the polisher it will become second nature.

The bottom line is all these polishers are good and it shouldn't be buy this one or that one. You need several IMO and a rotary should be one of them.

Enjoy your Rupes.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I think when people are asking for either the Rupes or the Flex they are looking for something that has more correction abilities than a standard DA polisher.

The Rupes gets placed in that category with the flex because of the large 21mm throw it provides. The large throw then is allowing the machine to correct faster with little to no pressure.

IMO placing the Rupes with a G110v2 GG and the PC just doesn't make sense. Yes the Rupes is a DA but its a DA on roids so to say.

The Rupes does have a learning curve when you first use it and some people with use it for the first time and think WOW does this not live up to the hype but after a few times using it and get the correct technique down they seem to change and say YEA this machine is does live up to the hype.

I know when I first had mine it was a bit strange. WHen you come from using a G110v2 where you have to place downward force on the head of the machine to the Rupes that needs none what so ever it takes some getting use to.

I say if you can find some one with either of please by all means try them out if at all possible as these are two totally different machines with two totally different techniques needs but I think a test drive will certainly help aid in your decision making in the end.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

What I observe between a forced DA and non-forced is that the forced DA just does not like quick direction changes.

I am wondering if people are using more downward pressure to get maximum cut to get results like they do on a non-forced DA. I just try to keep it flat with some pressure, guide it, and let it do its business.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast