autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 inch Flex DA Orbital

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    No, I own a 2001 Acura CL and a 2012 Accord both black. If I am working on a scratch or swirl with UC (which removes clear coat) I want to remove the least amount possible amount of clear coat. Thus I use the 3" DA instead of the 6" DA. Now when I finish it off with SWIRL X or 205 I may or may simply exchange 3" pads or unplug my 3" DA and use the 6" DA depending on how flat the panel is. But basically I feel removing the least amount of clear coat when making a correction is best in the long run. I am especially nervous going over creases with a DA and an aggresive polish. In addition when I am trying to polish or wax around the car's Acura Logo I can get in much closer with the 3" DA than the 6"DA.

I am a hobiest and not a profesional and I enjoy it, so a little extra time is OK with me.
    Do what works for you, but polishing two black cars with a 6" will not remove any more clear coat than using a 3".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post

On a trip to Nick Chapman's in Dallas a few years ago I had the chance to try the Metabo and the 3" griots.

IMO the were as close to identical as possible in performance. There was no advantage of one over another.
    I agree. I've owned a Metabo, actually Kevin Brown gave it to me years ago... the 3" GG looks very much like it and they both operate pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post

The griots has its place but will disappoint some for not having the raw power of the 6" machine.
    I've used the 3" GG to remove sanding marks, what I always tell people is you have to use expert technique with this tool and by that I mean you have to hold the pad flat to the surface for maximum pad rotation.

The below was done using only a medium cut polish, I could have done it faster with a compound.

Also, at the time I wrote the below article MF pads were not mainstream and we also didn't have all the cool abrasive technology around. The 3" Griot's does work well with the LC Ultra Fiber Microfiber pads.

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher - Extreme Demo - Warning!

Mike Phillips

In this thread we used some beta MF pads for tight areas and thin panels...

1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Process and products used

This is me tackling the iconic front grill using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher using an Optimum 3.25" Microfiber Pad with Hyper-Polish.

I now the question everyone wants to ask and here is the answer...

YES the 3" Mini Polisher was able to maintain pad rotation. I started with the upper potions and worked downward and wiped the residue off as I worked... look how shiny and glossy the paint is after using the 3" Mini Polisher. The 3" Mini Polisher also makes a great Dampsander for spot repair.

Mike Phillips

More than anything, the 3" GG makes a GREAT dampsander and I show it to this way all the time. If fact we'll be using it this Saturday to machine wetsand a 1963 Impala

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish there was a smoother, quiter, and more powerful 3" DA. I know it's alot to ask for, but it could be done.

The GG 3" is just so noisy, and such a pain to work with. The vibration is killer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    That is what I am looking for...a complete redesign from the ground up. A completely new Flex in the size of the Griot's but not a toy.
    3" Flex DA polisher in the size of GG would be a must have.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're still looking for a super quality 3in electric orbital, and you're not too concerned with the price, check out the festool rotex 90
    I used festool tools when I worked at my uncles Porsche repair shop in Germany. When I was looking for a small polisher I remembered the Festool company and found the rotex 90.

It's the best small buffer I've used. Almost no vibration but powerful. It is a dual mode polisher as well. You can switch it from forced rotation to free spinning orbital with a knob on top. Another nice feature is the small vacuum port on the back to reduce dust. It comes in handy if you ever need work with dusty compounds.
    It's made in Germany as well. It isn't cheap though by any means. I paid $350 for mine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234