autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to get used to the 3401, some questions

What was the temperature while you were doing this? Certainly it's cold up there and that will affect any polish.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Garage was about 60ish degrees. I didn't have the heat on, but that's about the temp I normally work in, sometimes a little warmer. 07Zoh6 - good to know about the pressure. I kinda learned that as I was doing the hood, it seemed the machine was happier letting it do the work.

Hopefully I'll have time to try it out again tomorrow afternoon and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it, thanks everyone for the input! Turned out to be multiple things: temp, interim pad cleaning (never had to do that before), and pressure/polisher angle. Worked on my trunk tonight and was able to dial it in and get it working. Appreciate all the help again!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem. The flex is pretty great once all the bugs are worked out. I has the same problem with ccs pads on it when I got it but now I love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfullercdi View Post
    Not a problem. The flex is pretty great once all the bugs are worked out. I has the same problem with ccs pads on it when I got it but now I love it!
    Just took some getting used to. Yeah, I actually switched over to the cobra pads and like those better. I started with the LC Flat Pads and tried the CCS and...eh. They were ok, but the Cobra's really grew on me and I love them now.

Post Thanks / Like

If you dont mind me askin, what is it that you like about the cobra pads? I was one click away from ordering a few of them last night but backed out because I wasn't real sure if they would be any better than the HT pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfullercdi View Post
    If you dont mind me askin, what is it that you like about the cobra pads? I was one click away from ordering a few of them last night but backed out because I wasn't real sure if they would be any better than the HT pads.
    I find the cobras more...workable I guess. I get a lot more use out of the pad before I need to clean it and it seems to hold more product yet very resistant to caking up. Example, with the pc and Optimum Hyper Compound and an orange pad once the compound was broken down I could make a quick light pass over an area I wanted to focus on and that would deliver a little more product then I could work it in again...if that makes sense.

I haven't had the chance to try an HT pad yet, I've only used the LC flat, ccs, and kompressors.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thank you. I will have to give them a shot then. I like the HT pads a lot, they don't use as much product especially water based polishes a compounds. They are a closed cell construction so it doesn't absorb as quickly. I think they cut faster too, right AG has the Christmas ones for $21.99 for 3 6.5's and they are normally 29.99 for 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll have to give those a shot too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goathead View Post
    Got the kids in bed and the presents done so I finally got around to trying out my flex 3401 that I got about a week ago and I'm trying to figure out a few things here.

Background, I've been using a PC7424 for about 3 years now and have achieved excellent results, but I stepped up to a 3401 really to save time. I just tried it out on the hood of my car to see if I could get some of the fine swirls out and ran into a few issues.

It definitely has a different feel to it than the PC with the forced rotation so it took a little bit to get the balance so it wasn't pulling or stopping so I think I have that down.

What I used: Optimum Polish, white Lake Country flat pad and white cobra cross groove

Problems: Product appeared to dry almost instantly and took a ton of effort to wipe off. Seemed like there was virtually no working time at all. Felt like I could have gotten better results with the PC.

What I tried: Originally once I spread the product I cranked it up to 6 and went for it. After the problems I started backing down to 5, then 4 and eventually 3. It seemed to be better on 3 with the Cobra pad, but still had issue with it drying and didn't really get much correction out of it. I was also using less pressure than I would normally with the PC. Usually with the PC I would use only about a dime size dab of the Optimum and it worked good. I also tried different amounts of product here as well and no difference, dried instantly. I just can't figure out what's up...maybe it's the egg nog...

Any help or input is greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas!!!
    spray on water as you work will help endless if its not cutting us less water

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123