autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get used to the 3401, some questions

Got the kids in bed and the presents done so I finally got around to trying out my flex 3401 that I got about a week ago and I'm trying to figure out a few things here.

Background, I've been using a PC7424 for about 3 years now and have achieved excellent results, but I stepped up to a 3401 really to save time. I just tried it out on the hood of my car to see if I could get some of the fine swirls out and ran into a few issues.

It definitely has a different feel to it than the PC with the forced rotation so it took a little bit to get the balance so it wasn't pulling or stopping so I think I have that down.

What I used: Optimum Polish, white Lake Country flat pad and white cobra cross groove

Problems: Product appeared to dry almost instantly and took a ton of effort to wipe off. Seemed like there was virtually no working time at all. Felt like I could have gotten better results with the PC.

What I tried: Originally once I spread the product I cranked it up to 6 and went for it. After the problems I started backing down to 5, then 4 and eventually 3. It seemed to be better on 3 with the Cobra pad, but still had issue with it drying and didn't really get much correction out of it. I was also using less pressure than I would normally with the PC. Usually with the PC I would use only about a dime size dab of the Optimum and it worked good. I also tried different amounts of product here as well and no difference, dried instantly. I just can't figure out what's up...maybe it's the egg nog...

Any help or input is greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to get used to the 3401, some questions

Merry Christmas goathead.
    Here is another reason we need some videos on what to expect from different products and how to properly use the Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it would be nice for more videos, but I figure that the polisher has been out for a while and a number of people have gone from the PC to this so I can't be the first one to have this issue.

My guess (hope) is that it's something that just needs to be done a wee bit differently like since it generates more heat you need to use more/less product, pressure, speed or some combination there of.

I don't have an endless supply of cars with beat up paint to test on so I've only got so much hands-on opportunity right now...I could go wash the wife's car with a scotch-brite.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a garage to work in, that's great. The Porter Cable has been out longer and look at how many videos there are using it with all the different products.

I live in an apartment complex and have to work outside under a carport. I usually just do a bunch of free ones to get some experience, but my problem is that the weather turned right after I got my Flex. It still hasn't seen a car but it sure would be nice to have a bunch of Flex videos to watch during the cold months. Videos with just the problem you're having and what to expect from the Flex.

Maybe with a little persuasion, Mike can put some together and post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Priming the pad(Kevin Brown method) or using pad conditioner might improve the workability.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Priming the pad(Kevin Brown method) or using pad conditioner might improve the workability.
    Yup, forgot to mention that, I used the XMT conditioner that came with the package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    Sounds like you have a garage to work in, that's great. The Porter Cable has been out longer and look at how many videos there are using it with all the different products.

I live in an apartment complex and have to work outside under a carport. I usually just do a bunch of free ones to get some experience, but my problem is that the weather turned right after I got my Flex. It still hasn't seen a car but it sure would be nice to have a bunch of Flex videos to watch during the cold months. Videos with just the problem you're having and what to expect from the Flex.

Maybe with a little persuasion, Mike can put some together and post them.
    Yes, having a heated and lit garage is helpful! I did check out the videos available and product-wise, it looks like the same amounts are being used for either the PC or the Flex so maybe I was just caking up the pad when i used more.

Post Thanks / Like

have you used the optimum before on your car with the porter? Just wondering if it could be a case of "some products react differently to different surfaces, depending on temps etcs....." at least i think I've read that on here before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonn127 View Post
    have you used the optimum before on your car with the porter? Just wondering if it could be a case of "some products react differently to different surfaces, depending on temps etcs....." at least i think I've read that on here before.
    Funny you mention that, I've never polished this car before. I picked it up used in the summer and just have been busy with other cars that all I did to mine was wax it. I think I might pull out the PC and see if I have the same issue. Good thought man!

Post Thanks / Like

When you standing size amount, is that one spot or three equally spaced. The flex does build heat especially on 6-I dont think you are using enough product. Just to check-are you cleaning the pad between sections?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast