autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

trying to decide??

Ive got a pc da right now and its done a great job for me in the past. I only do 3 vehicles a year ( my truck, and my parents auto). All 3 are maintained very well and in very good shape. What I'm trying to decide is...is it worth it to spend $300 on the flex 3401 or would I be just as well off buying some 4in pads for my pc if I do need to do any correcting? Thanks for the opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: trying to decide??

If you only detail 3 cars per year then a flex doesn't seem worth it. I don't see the point in spending 300+ for a machine that is only going to be used every once in a while. A PC is perfect for the weekend detailer with some 5.5 pads and 4" pads for tight spots, you can get rid of most defects with no problem.

IMO you would be better off getting some quality pads and quality polishes. Maybe 105 and some surbuf pads for deeper stuff, and sip and 85rd with ccs orange,white and black pads for the minor stuff.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

What he said^^^

2001 c5 z06
    2000 Camaro SS - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    If you only detail 3 cars per year then a flex doesn't seem worth it. I don't see the point in spending 300+ for a machine that is only going to be used every once in a while. A PC is perfect for the weekend detailer with some 5.5 pads and 4" pads for tight spots, you can get rid of most defects with no problem.

IMO you would be better off getting some quality pads and quality polishes. Maybe 105 and some surbuf pads for deeper stuff, and sip and 85rd with ccs orange,white and black pads for the minor stuff.
    I agree 100%. I have the flex and I love it but if you only do 3 cars per year then I would do just as Jon Miles said and spend it on polishes and pads and maybe a few fun lsp's.

I would get 105, SIP, 205, and 85rd for sure. Those seem to be the polishes I reach for the most. Also get several pads for each color: surbuf, cyan, tang, orange, white, black. Then you will be set for just about any correcting you need to do on those three cars.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda what I was thinking.....was just trying to talk myself out of a new toy. Imagine that!! LOL Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford the Flex then go ahead and get it, you will love it. Just understand that you can do the same thing with the PC

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an older PC, the flex might come in handy, but if you have an XP, you are fine. Might be fun to pick up a crappy Harbor Freight rotary for $40 to play with though and save the rest for a rainy day.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how I think. How much is your time worth? For me getting three cars a year done in half the time is worth the extra money. Then again I enjoy doing this stuff so to do my own stuff I wouldn't mind taking the extra time if detailing was a hobby. If it's a chore then get the flex. If it's a hobby then don't.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on what you want..I had a PC original one for 2years..I got a Flex about a month ago..Granted I have only been able to use it one time because the weather changed and car is put away for the year..I only do 1 car, my own but I wanted the flex so i bought it..I liked using it more then the PC..I was able to use 6.5" pads so I was able to cover a little larger of an area at a time..I didnt have to worry about the flex stalling on spinning at every little curve in body panel like the PC would do and I have to try and adjust my hold just perfect so it would spin at all. it corrects faster and doesnt make my hands go numb from vibrations like the PC did to me. I now only use my PC to apply glazes and will get a 3.5" adapter for it so I can use it just for small tight spots I cant get to with the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Which pads are better the black flat or the blue flat for putting wax on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast