autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Grey pad has no cut, and lime pime has very little cut, and it still marred the paint?! So, what pad and polish would you use to remove the marring?
    Toyota and Honda paint is very soft and marrs easily. Chad(Rasky) had the same issue with lime prime on his Honda. Dodo even has a warning on their website now. It says to be careful using this product on soft Japanese paint.

I just grabbed my SIP and a white pad to correct it. Then finished the car with 106FA w/a grey pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Grey pad has no cut, and lime pime has very little cut, and it still marred the paint?! So, what pad and polish would you use to remove the marring?
    The gray pad has a very slight cut to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrock2003 View Post
    Doubt all you'd like. I've polished out plenty of wetsanding marks with my Griot's. In large and small sections and it didn't take a crazy amount of time to do. It is much faster with a rotary, but the flex isn't a rotary and neither is my Griot's. AGAIN, I say, if you have the money, GO WITH THE FLEX. If money is an issue, then the Griot's is a powerful alternative to the Flex. The forced rotation on the Flex is incredibly strong, but the power of the Griot's puts it right next to the Flex in terms of correction power. They both have their place and neither is better than the other in terms of correction ability.
    It seems to me you have failed to notice I am _very_ familiar with DA machines and what each one of them can / can not do, especially Flex and GG V2, and that I am not easy to impress.

I am glad to hear you are very enthusiastic about GG V2 _but_ no matter how much I like it myself, no matter do I consider it best of "PCs", _reality_ is that is just not in the same league as Flex, including corrective ability wise. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a chance to use my GG-V2 yet, but I look forward to using it... and I don't regret having bought it, based on what I've read in this thread and other ones.

Lets keep this dialogue going.
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Flex for a few reasons. One being that I needed
    something with more power. I had the PC for quite sometime and I
    liked it. If you're just starting out, then the Griots would be
    fine. I'm doing details on a regular basis on top of my full time job.
    I knew what I'd spend on it would come back in details. I'm now either going to buy a 2nd Flex as a back up or a Makita.
    In other words if you are just one of those casual detail your own cars then I see the Griots as being fine. Assuming it works as well as the PC.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post

and that I am not easy to impress.

Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins

Probably won't impress you but thought I would share the link anyways....

Mike Phillips

Just to note, all the tools Autogeek offers are all very capable tools when it comes to correction work, besides the tool factor, using the right pad, product and technique are also HUGE factors for getting good results.

Don't limit yourself to just one tool, you wouldn't do this with the tools in your tool box, for example chances are good everyone reading this thread has more than just one flat blade screwdriver.

The Flex 3401 because it's a forced rotation, dual action polisher, it does offer more ability to remove paint when applying pressure to the pad and that's what the correction step is usually about, removing a little paint in an effort to level out the surface.

DA Polishers like the Meguiar's, the Griot's and the PC can all do this too but because they all have a free rotating spindle assemble they bring to the table a unique feature in that if you apply too much pressure or hold the pad at an angle the pad will stop rotating, for most people new to machine polishing this is an attractive safety feature, plus they are very easy to learn how to use.

Free Rotating Spindle Assemblies on DA Polishers

Check out this thread for more information on the different tools...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Post Thanks / Like

Mike... what is the measurement of each brands D/A orbit, compared to the Flex's Forced orbit?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    It seems to me you have failed to notice I am _very_ familiar with DA machines and what each one of them can / can not do, especially Flex and GG V2, and that I am not easy to impress.

I am glad to hear you are very enthusiastic about GG V2 _but_ no matter how much I like it myself, no matter do I consider it best of "PCs", _reality_ is that is just not in the same league as Flex, including corrective ability wise. Sorry.
    Unfortunately, you're wrong. I work side by side with VR8 on a daily basis and his Flex corrects no better OR faster than my Griot's.

They are in the same league and they both perform equally. They both just have their little quirks that need to be "worked out" with experience.

You apparently have failed to notice that I have 5-6 months of side-by-side comparison work between the Griot's and Flex and that I am perfectly capable of gauging whether the Flex is better than my Griot's or not and I"m telling you that it isn't.

If the flex had a faster rotation, then it would be in a different class, but due to the design, and the fact that it DOESN'T have faster rotational speeds, it is right on-par with the performance and corrective ability of the Griot's.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 GMC Denali View Post
    Mike... what is the measurement of each brands D/A orbit, compared to the Flex's Forced orbit?
    The orbit stroke for the PC, Meguiar's and Griot's is all 5/16"
    I think the orbit stroke for the Flex is around 3/4 of an inch but I'll have to check, just spinning it here in my hand it's a pretty noticeable distance.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast