autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

is a flex 3401 good for a beginner???

hello i am new to machine polishing and i have been doing quite a bit of research on dual action polishers and was wondering which would be best to begin with??? i know the porter cable is usually recommended for first timers but i want to buy a polisher that is not only safe but i can grow into and not turn around and end up buying a flex when i could have done so in the first place. any help i would greatly appreciate it. pros and cons about the flex would be nice also. thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is a flex 3401 good for a beginner???

I had a PC for a few years before I plunged in and got the FLEX. I have absolutely no regrets in getting the PC, since it's lighter and a lot easier to hold and maneuver (The FLEX is somewhat of a beast to handle) and I still use 4" plate to polish areas I can't get to with the FLEX along with using the 6" plate for LSP applications. That being said, I absolutely love the FLEX and if I knew then what I know now, I would have just gotten the FLEX to begin with and saved myself $125.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is just as easy to use as the PC. It is a lot more expensive is all. You'll get the work done quite a bit faster, but the machine is essentially the same as far as how you use it goes. It is a lot heavier and you'll certainly develop some good forearm muscles before long, but either the PC7424 or the Flex 3401 would be good machines for beginners or professionals alike. It is an easy machine to use and the learning curve is practically non-existent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by termigator View Post
    I had a PC for a few years before I plunged in and got the FLEX. I have absolutely no regrets in getting the PC, since it's lighter and a lot easier to hold and maneuver (The FLEX is somewhat of a beast to handle) and I still use 4" plate to polish areas I can't get to with the FLEX along with using the 6" plate for LSP applications. That being said, if I knew then what I know now, I would have just gotten the FLEX to begin with and saved myself $125.
    You are still using the pc with 4" pads so isn't worth the $125 you would have saved?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You are still using the pc with 4" pads so isn't worth the $125 you would have saved?
    Those "areas" I said I can't get to with the FLEX (e.g. bumpers, mirrors), I actually can. I just have to keep a steady hand and not fling polish around. The PC with the 4" pads is just easier. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra $125 easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with a Flex and got the hang of by the end of my first car. I am thinking about getting a pc or the small GG for the small tight areas. I love the Flex but would say get what you can afford and you will be happy either way.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Dont let the Flex scare you away, it is very easy to use and I really love it. I first learned on a rotary so I was used to that type of power and forced rotation. I love DAs though and I absolutely love my flex. I would highly recomend getting it if you have the money, you wont regret it I promise
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Flex. Extremely SMOOTH!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Flex. You won't regret it. I am new as well to machine polishing. I decided to go with the Flex as my first machine. I didn't want to get the PC and wish I had gone with the Flex.

I used it for the first time this past weekend. I had no problem using it what so ever. I'll admit that I was intimidated to use it at first but once I got going with it I felt right at home with it. I used it on a Mazda MX-5 (small sized car) and I really didn't have any problem with the 6.5" pads. I just made sure I taped off areas I didn't want to touch and was careful in tight areas.

It is more expensive but if you can afford it, get it. It's easy to use and you won't be disappointed.
    2019 Subaru Forester Limited
    2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex will try to control/wander from you when polishing NON flat panels, just be aware of that. Only being able to use 6.5" pads sucks if you don't have another DA. It's a solid machine, but has it's drawbacks, IMO. I just sold my Flex 3401. I like the new version Griot's DA better..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast