autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

And today...the flex made my Griot's look REALLY bad on some SUPER soft paint on a 2008 Toyota Avalon that had some parts repainted...see, the Griot's has good days, and days like today, when they just suck. Had to use a completely different pad/product combo to get the same results as VR8's Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bradshaw View Post
    If you are running a detail business and pumping out 3-5 cars a week or whatever, the Flex is worth it (still overpriced IMHO) But for average detailers doing there own vehicle and cars here and there, Griots will do the job just fine. I just got my Griots yesterday and like Mike said, it has plenty of power. PS. Lets not forget the man who is using the machine, he is more important than the machine itself.
    Another way to look at is if you paid someone to polish a vehicle correctly (most lightly a two step routine), it would pay a substantial cost of the Flex.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrock2003 View Post
    lol I love how all of you are saying the Flex is BY FAR better, when it's not better. In SOME WAYS it's better, but for raw correction ability, the Griot's is the more powerful of the two. The forced rotation from the Flex offers a better initial finish, but it leaves a lot of defects behind that the Griot's removes.

VR8 and I work together and he uses the Flex and I use the new Griot's. My machine is more powerful and I get better defect removal, but his machine is more refined and leaves less marring.
    From my limited experience dabbling with DAs there is only one machine that can outdo Flex in corrective power overall, and it is not DA, it is rotary, and there is only DA that is vying to be approximately equal and it is not Griot's V2 no matter how much I like GG V2 among "PC"s.

But I am also kind of guy that is open minded to being wrong and kind of guy that believes in "proof is in the pudding".

So what I would like to see is you proving it on hard paint panel sanded with 1500 grit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    So what I would like to see is you proving it on hard paint panel sanded with 1500 grit.
    I've seen him take out wet sanding marks with his Griot. Plenty of times!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    I've seen him take out wet sanding marks with his Griot. Plenty of times!
    You might have. I said _I_ would like to see it. Plus I would like to see how long it takes compared to person experienced with Flex. Whole panel, not a spot. Because you can clean mow the lawn with the scissors too if you are given enough time or if your backyard is small enough.

Post Thanks / Like

And today...the flex made my Griot's look REALLY bad on some SUPER soft paint on a 2008 Toyota Avalon that had some parts repainted...see, the Griot's has good days, and days like today, when they just suck. Had to use a completely different pad/product combo to get the same results as VR8's Flex.
    I had one of those days with my flex.. I used Dodo lime prime(w/abrasives) w/a grey pad on my wifes Toyota. The lime prime marred the hell out of the paint. I use it on my Infifniti with no problem. Don't you hate when that happens? Use something that works great on one car. Then think it will be the same on the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt all you'd like. I've polished out plenty of wetsanding marks with my Griot's. In large and small sections and it didn't take a crazy amount of time to do. It is much faster with a rotary, but the flex isn't a rotary and neither is my Griot's. AGAIN, I say, if you have the money, GO WITH THE FLEX. If money is an issue, then the Griot's is a powerful alternative to the Flex. The forced rotation on the Flex is incredibly strong, but the power of the Griot's puts it right next to the Flex in terms of correction power. They both have their place and neither is better than the other in terms of correction ability. The flex appears to be easier to use and is more consistent than the flex due to the fact it keeps up it's rotations no matter what the circumstance is where the Griot's will have issues keeping rotations up based on the pressure you use and where it's applied on your pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt all you'd like. I've polished out plenty of wetsanding marks with my Griot's. In large and small sections and it didn't take a crazy amount of time to do. It is much faster with a rotary, but the flex isn't a rotary and neither is my Griot's. AGAIN, I say, if you have the money, GO WITH THE FLEX. If money is an issue, then the Griot's is a powerful alternative to the Flex. The forced rotation on the Flex is incredibly strong, but the power of the Griot's puts it right next to the Flex in terms of correction power. They both have their place and neither is better than the other in terms of correction ability. The flex appears to be easier to use and is more consistent than the flex due to the fact it keeps up it's rotations no matter what the circumstance is where the Griot's will have issues keeping rotations up based on the pressure you use and where it's applied on your pad.
    I think the new Griot's 6" is an awesome machine(I had it), I just opted forthe Flex. Personal preference, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I had one of those days with my flex.. I used Dodo lime prime(w/abrasives) w/a grey pad on my wifes Toyota. The lime prime marred the hell out of the paint. I use it on my Infifniti with no problem. Don't you hate when that happens? Use something that works great on one car. Then think it will be the same on the next.
    Yeah, John and I always seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our machines. I"ll be having a great correction day and he'll just be having issues left and right or vice-versa. He'll be doing great and I'm getting marring and hazing all over the place. I believe it has something to do with the paint/clear we're working on. I believe I get a better correction from harder clears where his machine is IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE on softer clears. I mean, it's not just a small difference either. It's very noticeable. I've had days where soft clears just mar and haze up on me and John is just smoking along leaving behind a crystal clear finish, but on harder clearcoats, I get better results with my Griot's. I prefer the flex's ability though. I'll be buying one when I can swing the $300 for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Grey pad has no cut, and lime pime has very little cut, and it still marred the paint?! So, what pad and polish would you use to remove the marring?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast