autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinion/help PLEASE!!

When detailing rims and tires, I've tried Armor All gel and spray products. But no matter what I do as far as drying time or amount used on the tire, I can't seem to prevent little black spots from the product getting on my car. It drives me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!!!

So I'm looking for opinions on Armor All tire products vs other brands, and what can I do to prevent the black spots from showing up after I detail the tires?

Thanks a million.

brm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion/help PLEASE!!

I am not a huge fan of the armor all product lines. You tend to see the product sling off and onto your paint, which is what it sounds like you are getting. You can try wiping off the excess in order to help control the sling.

There are a lot of products out there, but in my opinion, the real questions is how much gloss do you want. I have found that I like a more mat finish versus the high gloss look. I have tried the following dressings Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright Tire Dressing, Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel, Optimum Tire Shine. All are good in my opinion
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest Meguire's Endurance Tire Gel or Black Magic Titanium Tire gel both are minimal sling products. I have used both and haven't noticed any sling yet . They both are high gloss. U will need to buy an applicator with the Meg's but the Black Magic comes with one but it sux so i suggest buying one. Armor All is ok i guess for the guy that wipes his dash twice a year but there are far superior products out there IMO.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the applicator. Yes, Armor All's applicator is horrible too. I get through a 1/2 bottle of product and the applicator is trashed. While I love the look it gives me, the slatter/slinging it causes just isn't worth it. I do like the high gloss look.

I will look into the suggested products above. Thanks for the tips!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use aero 303

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Ah, the applicator. Yes, Armor All's applicator is horrible too. I get through a 1/2 bottle of product and the applicator is trashed. While I love the look it gives me, the splatter/slinging it causes just isn't worth it. I do like the high gloss look.

I will look into the suggested products above. Thanks for the tips!!
    If u like high gloss either the Meg's or the Black Magic have more gloss then the armor all and last longer. I am currently using Black Magic because the Meg's is kinda hard to find in the gel sometimes. I have half a bottle of armor all that just sits on the shelf because i bought since it was 2 bux cheaper but after comparing the two i wish i woulda spent the extra 2bux

Post Thanks / Like

The products you're using are thin sprays. These looks great sitting however as soon as a little centrifugal force enters the picture away it goes!

Tire Products

1. Pinnacle Black Onyx
    2. Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
    3. DP Gloss Tire Gel
    4. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
    5. Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

I've listed from 1 to 4 for level of glossiness.

All of these are superb performers with the "more glossy" going to Pinnacle and Wolfgang. Now this glossiness is not the wet shine you might be thinking of if you've ever used something like Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" tire spray.

While either the Pinnacle or Wolfgang are applied they do give off that wet appearance but as the product soaks into the rubber it tends to tone it down to a nice black satin finish. I apply all my tire treatments with a brush and a foam sponge.

DP Gloss Tire Gel goes on buttery smooth and dries to a deep dark rich blackness. It's has sort of a mint smell to it but goes away after it's dried.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is another good performer but it takes a couple of coats to get it looking good. This gives what I'd call the flattest finish although it does look quite good but not quite as rich as the three above.

All of these have a decent lifespan so I'm sure one will suit your needs.

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus is another product that I have but have not tested. It gets great reviews and lasts for quite a while so I've added this one to the list above.

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martykyj View Post
    I use aero 303
    After thoroughly cleaning the tires with either 3M Tire and Wheel Cleaner, or P21 TAW, and enploying a good tire brush during said cleaning process, 303 Aero is also my choice. I suggest staying away from tire dressings that contain petroleum distillates.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is likely water still in the ribbing of the tire. Unfortunately it hampers the drying agent and can cause spitting. I find it best to dry well with leaf blower, and then pat dry. Apply protectant and then buff off any excess 10 minutes later.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

DP Gloss Tire Gel (new version) is my favorite. Here's a review I did, which includes both DP Gloss (original version) and Opti-bond- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ws-review.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast