autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

DP Gloss/Opti-Bond/Porrboy's WS review

CEE DOG was kind enough to send me a sample of DP Gloss Tire Gel. Thank you Corey! Today I tested it and wrote the following review. See "Method of Application" and "Initial Product Observations" for details.

If you notice any similarities, in my review, to the thread- Review-Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, it's because I quoted the OP of Corey's thread, and used it as a template for my own...
    ...Literally!

DP Gloss Tire Gel*
    *Note- The DP Gel I used was the original version, not the linked new formula.

Initial Product Observations:
    Product feels greasy to the skin and doesn't seem like it would ever dry on a tire, though it does. Gives the impression that it will darken the tire and give a wet look.

1- Consistency: Like a thick dish soap that doesn't suds up
    2- Color: Translucent green
    3- Scent: Clean, Sesame street baby shampoo (or I as imagine it might smell )

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Very slippery between the fingers. Consistency is like a watered down plain white skin lotion (or so I imagine). This product does not give me the impression that it will be an awesome tire gel... at all. I already know it is though.

1- Consistency: Watery lotion
    2- Color: White
    3- Scent: Mild/clean

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant

Smells good but I feel like I don't want to breath it in. The look and feel of this stuff is unique to me, it's like a paste wax mixed with sealant and blended to be super smooth. It gives the impression that it will be easy to apply and easy to remove. It is.

1- Consistency: Smooth-creamy paste
    2- Color: Pink
    3- Scent: Watermelon?

Products used for prep or during application:

- Megs APC+
    - ONR
    - Various tire scrub brush's: Similar to mothers wheel/tire and Spoke Wheel Brush
    - Home Depot soft yellow grout sponge
    - Air compressor
    - Various MF/foam, towels and applicators

Method of Prep::

Pre-Prep to remove existing Opti-Bond, ensuring a clean slate:
    - Pre-soak with Megs APC+
    - Pressure Wash rinse
    - Scrub wheels and tires with APC+ and brushes
    - Pressure Wash rinse
    - Leave tires un-dressed and drive car daily for a week

Prep:
    - Pre-soak with Megs APC+
    - Pressure Wash rinse
    - Scrub wheels and tires with Megs APC+ and various tire brushes
    - Scrub tires with Grout sponge and light ONR-water mix
    - Pressure Wash rinse
    - Clay wheels with ONR and Meg's clay
    - Pressure Wash rinse
    - Dry wheels and tires with air compressor and allow to air dry.

Methods of applications:

I have already used all of these products before, so I pretty much knew what to expect.

Tire Gels-
    A MF covered foam applicator was used to apply both tire products. Each tire gel was applied twice ~30 minutes apart to one half of the drivers side tires. The Tire Gel products were separated by a painters tape line that was left un-treated, as a control area, to measure durability. Each application was done very thoroughly by scrubbing the tire with the applicator, one small section at a time, firmly rubbing in the product in every direction. Then a final full-section wipe to even it all out and remove excess. Then later repeated.

Wheel sealant-
    Both of the drivers side wheels were divided in half with a 50/50 tape line to test the effectiveness of the wheel sealant on both a front and a rear wheel. I used what I think was the applicator that came with Souveran paste, a soft foam applicator, to give the wheels 3 coats of sealant. Each about one hour apart. Lightly swiping the applicator on the surface will give you enough product for like 20 wheels. I scraped all the excess off and had about enough for the first half-wheel.

Observations of application:
    Both tire gels were a pleasure to use, giving great coverage and a nice satin-gloss look. They quickly dry to the touch and leave a slick surface. I definitely notice the DP to have a higher gloss and slicker surface, but the difference is small.

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant was easy to get a thin layer down but it was kind of tough to tell where it had/hadn't been applied. It dried to a haze fairly quick and then passed the swipe test with ease. Removal was a breeze and the wheels felt slick. Subsequent layers were just as easy.

OK, onto the pics!

Diagram of products used-

Tools/Products-

Tires before-

50/50's-

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant-
    Thin coat

Swipe test passed-

50/50's after 3 coats, left side of next 3 pics have been sealed and buffed. Notice the improved "clarity" or "gloss" of the clear coat on the sealed side. PB's WS is good stuff!-

50/50 cleaned up-

The passenger side got a regular-effort cleaning with Megs APC+, brushes and Pressure washer. Also, the rims were clayed. Then one coat each of PB WS and my new "special tire mix" of about 3 parts Opti-Bond, 1 part DP Gloss and 1 1/3 part water were quickly applied. I'll check the durability of the thoroughly cleaned/dressed/sealed drivers side against the one quick coat passenger side.

"Special Tire Mix" is in the middle, in a small pump spray bottle-

Passenger side tire before-

Passenger side afters-

I'll keep this updated periodically with durability results, until all products are in need of re-application.

Wow, I'm beat from all that typing and thinking.

OK, more...
    Just waiting for that foam cannon to arrive to do my Dodo Juice Yeti's Fist Wash Mitt and Dodo Juice Purple Haze PRO Soft Wax reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP Gloss/Opti-Bond/Porrboy's WS review

WOW! David, that was a wonderfull review! I read every word (before you moved it over here LOL). Love the diagram as well A lot of effort put into prep and documentation of everything! Thanks so much for all your time and effort!

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    WOW! David, that was a wonderfull review! I read every word (before you moved it over here LOL). Love the diagram as well A lot of effort put into prep and documentation of everything! Thanks so much for all your time and effort!

Thanks Corey! I modeled it after the best!

Yeah most of my day yesterday was consumed by this review, luckily I had a couple friends and cold beers to keep me distracted between applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Tires the next day, after driving 15 miles. Opti-bond has significantly less gloss than DP. Both look great, I noticed a couple spots on the Opti side that needed touch-up but I left it alone.

There was no brake dust build-up to see if the PB wheels sealant is doing it's job yet.

Opti-Bond is on the left side of the following 4 pics-

Even though I'm not a "glossy tire guy" DP sure is nice. If DP has durability like Opti did before this test... I'll be glad I bought the new version on BOGO.
    Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've been slacking on updating the durability results because the car has been garaged for most of the three weeks since application, being driven ~350 miles. Tires have only gotten wet 4-5 times, twice was from washing, during which they were not agitated with any brush or chemicals, just rinsed. So much for testing the durability in tough conditions.

Opti on left, DP on right

Basically I'm very happy with both products but I'm too anxious to try DP Gloss New Formula to keep this test going. They both last longer than I normally wait in between applications anyway, so I'm happy.

As for the Poorboy's Wheel sealant, if you look at the first pic in this post you may notice the left side, with the sealant, looks to have collected more brake dust than the untreated side. To be honest I may have forgotten to buff off the final coat, I had had a few by then... So I will clean up the rim and continue with the Wheel sealant testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hey! Good timing! I just did my update at the same time

Thanks for the update. Both products are definetly good!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

quite a big difference in gloss between the two, seems like DP is a winner for those wanting the gloss factor indeed.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are applying too much WS. I could do like 40-50 application ( which means 200 wheels) with one 8oz jar. Also, it's a sealant so you need to wait 12 hours before reapplying another coat, just like a sealant on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review David!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu