autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$250 to get started

I'll be placing an order in about a month so I'm trying to fill my head with knowledge and ideas before I buy something I don't need. I'm new to polishers, but for various reasons, I'm going with the PC7424XP. A friend of mine has one and they seem to be pretty user friendly. What I'm looking for is someone to help me spend my money wisely. Should I go with a kit, or purchase everything separately so I can customize to my needs?

I drive an '04 Mazda 6s that I bought last year. It has some swirl marks I definitely need to remove. My wife drives an '06 Hyundai Elantra that has much better paint than my car, but I'd like to remove the car wash swirls and go strictly to hand washes on both cars.

So, I'm looking for something that I can use on both cars, and potentially on family/friends and potentially future customer cars when I'm completely comfortable. I still don't fully understand the difference between polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes, carnaubas, etc. I'm guessing some of them are used interchangeably, but if anyone could point in to a thread that explains the differences, I'd appreciate it.

Just to clarify, I am sticking with a $250 budget, so I'd appreciate if you're going to put me over the budget, it's not by more than $10 or $20. The Poorboys kit at $259 does look appealing.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $250 to get started

Hi Mark, while you asked many questions I will let someone else address those. Not to discourage you in anyway, but what I want to contribute is that in my experience with Hyundai paint it proved to be hard as a rock. I polished my mother's 09 Sonata a short time ago and that was a chore. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on your car. Since the car was basically new, only 3,200 miles on it and garage kept, I thought a simple 1-step would suffice. Wrong! I ended up with the traditional Meguiar's M105 on several Hydro Tech Cyan pads and Meguiar's M205 on quite a few Hydro Tech Tangerine pads, speed 6 on the PC XP, quite a bit of pressure, and lots of time. Keep in mind though, your experience may be different.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Richard,
    Thank you for your comments. I'll keep that in mind when I detail her car. I've noticed a lot of people use the Megs 105 and 205. I think I might give that a shot if I don't end up with the Poorboys kit.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The Poorboys kit was an old favorite and a good one too. I do find the newer polishes (Menzerna, Megs, Wolfgang) easier and more beneficial but its your choice. I might suggest getting the buffer, backing plate, and pads then getting some smaller bottles of each polish and experimenting yourself. Most of these newer polishes are sold in 8 ounce versions and should keep you within budget too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I know you said you were going with the PC7424xp, but have you looked into the Griots Garage polisher? It has a 7 amp motor and a lifetime warranty as opposed to the PC's 4.5 amp motor and 3 year warranty. The extra power will help in removing those tough defects.

While the kits AG sells are great, they often include some things you might not need, while not including other items that you do need. Then you have to spend more money getting the necessary items.
    If you are set on getting PC, I built a cart for you within your budget:

(click to view larger size)

This has pretty much everything you need to remove swirls and other defects.

You haven't mentioned if you have the necessary items for washing, claying, and wax and/or sealant, so I didn't include those items. If you want me to re-work the cart to include that stuff, just let me know and I'll try my best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spellrm View Post
    I know you said you were going with the PC7424xp, but have you looked into the Griots Garage polisher? It has a 7 amp motor and a lifetime warranty as opposed to the PC's 4.5 amp motor and 3 year warranty. The extra power will help in removing those tough defects.

While the kits AG sells are great, they often include some things you might not need, while not including other items that you do need. Then you have to spend more money getting the necessary items.

You haven't mentioned if you have the necessary items for washing, claying, and wax and/or sealant, so I didn't include those items. If you want me to re-work the cart to include that stuff, just let me know and I'll try my best.
    Excellent choice of products!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I did take a look at the Griot's Garage polisher, but figured there had to be a reason why most people here go with the PC. Maybe I'll look a little harder into the pros and cons of each before I buy. That is a really nice list you put together, and within budget, so thank you! To answer your question, I purchased a Zaino kit a few years back that I used on a previous car, which has their clay bar, Z2 and Z5, and I still have some of their car wash left. I thought I'd get what I need to remove the swirls and get me started, and I'd use what I have left of the Zaino to give it some shine. Once that's all gone, I'll be coming back to AG for something different!

Mark
    Last edited by Y2KSVT; 08-04-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    Actually, I did take a look at the Griot's Garage polisher, but figured there had to be a reason why most people here go with the PC. Maybe I'll look a little harder into the pros and cons of each before I buy. That is a really nice list you put together, and within budget, so thank you! To answer your question, I purchased a Zaino kit a few years back that I used on a previous car, which has their clay bar, Z2 and Z5, and I still have some of their car wash left. I thought I'd get what I need to remove the swirls and get me started, and I'd use what I have left of the Zaino to give it some shine. Once that's all gone, I'll be coming back to AG for something different!

Mark
    I think the reason it seems like a lot of people go with the PC is because it was the FIRST. I believe the PC was around long before the other dual action polishers, made by Meguiars, Griots, etc. Another reason I think many go with the PC is because of the kits AG offers. I feel like AG promotes the PC and the PC kits more than the others, so naturally, it get's bought more.

When I first started looking into getting a polisher, I thought the exact same thing: "There must be a reason why everyone mentions the 7424xp, it must be the best". Then I found the Meguiars G110v2 and it looked a little better, so I wanted that one instead. Then I found the Griots and read some great reviews about, so I went with it.

They are all great machines, so get the one you feel like is the best for you. It isn't so much the machine as it is the technique and experience that gets a swirl-free finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason it seems like a lot of people go with the PC is because it was the FIRST. I believe the PC was around long before the other dual action polishers, made by Meguiars, Griots, etc. Another reason I think many go with the PC is because of the kits AG offers. I feel like AG promotes the PC and the PC kits more than the others, so naturally, it get's bought more.

When I first started looking into getting a polisher, I thought the exact same thing: "There must be a reason why everyone mentions the 7424xp, it must be the best". Then I found the Meguiars G110v2 and it looked a little better, so I wanted that one instead. Then I found the Griots and read some great reviews about, so I went with it.

They are all great machines, so get the one you feel like is the best for you. It isn't so much the machine as it is the technique and experience that gets a swirl-free finish.
    I went through the same indecision and read and read good reviews of all of them but what swayed me was the power and the warranty of the Griotts, I like power and a good warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason people go with the PC over the GG is reliability. Lately there has been a lot of threads throughout all the detailing forums about the GG breaking down. Sure it has a lifetime warranty but who wants their polishers breaking down in the middle of a job and waiting for a new one to show up at their door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast