autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Woolies or Microfiber Barrel Blades?

For some types of wheels, I try to avoid using nylon barrel brushes, atleast if I can, depending on how bad the barrels are. For bad wheels, sometimes I need my EZ nylon brushes. The softer wheel barrel brush I have been using for several years is pretty worn out and due for replacement. For it's replacement I am considering Wheel Woolies or the newer microfiber barrel blades. Which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Woolies or Microfiber Barrel Blades?

haven't used the barrel blade but have the wheel woolies. personally, i like the angled/bent wheel woolies as they can get into/around areas better than the straight ones...

for the wheel faces, i like to use the flexi half finger wash mitt...

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    haven't used the barrel blade but have the wheel woolies. personally, i like the angled/bent wheel woolies as they can get into/around areas better than the straight ones...

for the wheel faces, i like to use the flexi half finger wash mitt...

Thanks for the reply. I haven't given much thought to the angled woolie, may have to give them a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Bert -

Are you discussing cleaning the wheel barrel. IMO, get both. The WW has been a barrel cleaner in mainly the Medium and the Small (to get in the minutia of caliper/wheel). The head is round, and the shaft is thin enough that it allows you to get inside the angle and angle/scrub as one should ....

The Blade is nice but IMO it's a single function tool. It is flat and allows you to get inside a spoke and reach all the way in *can scrub a 11 1/2" wheel with ease*.
    Where is fails is the profile is flat and *wide*. It doesn't work well for me to scrub/move the wand much aft' left or right due to this shape, and this is in a *wheel spoke* opening that I could move freely everyday and anyway with my Wheel Woolie.

Personally, one will always need a mitt of any sorts for the spokes It' allows you to hit the faces, behind the spokes, etc - super quick with a mitt.
    I used to clean wheels with the *swissvax* brush primarily. And it's still a great tool for getting into profiles/pockets of the wheels pokes, etc.
    But a mitt is the main *front wheel face/spoke* tool of choice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Bert -

Are you discussing cleaning the wheel barrel. IMO, get both. The WW has been a barrel cleaner in mainly the Medium and the Small (to get in the minutia of caliper/wheel). The head is round, and the shaft is thin enough that it allows you to get inside the angle and angle/scrub as one should ....

The Blade is nice but IMO it's a single function tool. It is flat and allows you to get inside a spoke and reach all the way in *can scrub a 11 1/2" wheel with ease*.
    Where is fails is the profile is flat and *wide*. It doesn't work well for me to scrub/move the wand much aft' left or right due to this shape, and this is in a *wheel spoke* opening that I could move freely everyday and anyway with my Wheel Woolie.

Personally, one will always need a mitt of any sorts for the spokes It' allows you to hit the faces, behind the spokes, etc - super quick with a mitt.
    I used to clean wheels with the *swissvax* brush primarily. And it's still a great tool for getting into profiles/pockets of the wheels pokes, etc.
    But a mitt is the main *front wheel face/spoke* tool of choice
    agreed, and that's why i like the bent/angled wheel woolies. it covers (and contours more) inside the barrel as oppose to a straight one. i will always have at least one straight one (just in case), but the bent/angled ones are the ones that get used on a regular basis...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have wheel woolies both straight and angled. Never bought the Barrel blade as I agree on it being harder to maneuver.

The wheel woolies have a shorter cleaning part so easy to get behind the face and makes ve around to clean more.

I personally don’t like the angled for general cleaning and use a wheel mitt for behind the face. I got it for cleaning the calipers in which it has excelled for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The blades don't work on my cars with the massive rotors/calipers. Not enough clearance. The smallest woolie barely fits between the caliper and the wheel, and that's tight. I use the other woolies for the rest of the barrel. I'll also use an Autofiber two-finger mitt on the face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    The blades don't work on my cars with the massive rotors/calipers. Not enough clearance. The smallest woolie barely fits between the caliper and the wheel, and that's tight. I use the other woolies for the rest of the barrel. I'll also use an Autofiber two-finger mitt on the face.
    This is why I've stuck with my EZ/Speedmaster wheel brushes. The nylon bristles move around to where you can get the brush into an area not much bigger than the center shaft of the brush. The Woolies and other MF tools wouldn't compress enough to get around large calipers. Places I couldn't get my nylon wheel brush, I couldn't get my hands/fingers in very well either. I had to rotate the wheel and finish off those spots later.

Are you worried about scratching from the nylon brushes? Unless you are working on some highly polished or black painted wheels, the risk of scratching should be pretty low. I've never seen any scratching issues from the barrels or narrow spoke areas when using a nylon wheel brush like the EZ. I wouldn't use it on any facing surfaces, just to be safe.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Black painted wheels. That's the issue. And those Speedmasters are spitters, too.

10. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pffft....the ez details are not spitters

This one is...
    404 Not Found - Adam's Polishes

I have a S/M/L from the original maker of this. Adam's rebranded this....
    If I'm too lazy to rotate the wheel due to caliper, and or it's a super winter dirty wheel with a large rotor and minimal space, this tool is great.
    You do need to use a drill so it rotates and the -flaps- do it's thing.
    Just be mindful to stop rotation before back it out or those flaps will SLING....

I was hoping the barrel blade would replace the Wheel Woolie but it turns out it's a single function tool (it got some praises here on AGO as well, which gave me the push to order it).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast