autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand new car - Bumpers don't match - ?

Cliffs Notes: Brand new car, front and rear bumper have less metallic flake than rest of car - repaint? or other factor?

Full story:

So I just got a brand new 2016 STI in WRB pearl. I ordered this car and waited 2 months, car arrived on a Friday at the dealer and I picked it up Monday morning 2/8 with 5 miles on it.

I didn't let the dealer do any prep other than remove some of the plastic so I could avoid the dealer installed swirl option. So the car was obviously a bit dirty when I picked it up, as to be expected after transport. I've since noticed about about 6 or 7 minor defects on the paint that I know I'll be able to remove, no big deal I pretty much expected some due to being handled by various people.

The weather here has not been great, so day of pick up I did a wash and quick wax with collinite 845, with the intention of doing a full detail at some point in the near future. It was a bit nicer this weekend so I was able to do a wash followed by a topping with Souveran. I had previously noticed what appeared to be a difference in the amount of metallic flake in the paint on the front bumper. Since we actually had some sun, I was able to really fully inspect the car and it appears that the front and rear bumper share the same difference in flake from the rest of the car.

Now, the reason for this post is I want to get everyone's opinion here as to why there's a difference. I know that cars can be repaired in port due to damage during transport, so I don't know if the bumpers have been repainted, or if it's a case of the front and rear bumper being painted separately from the rest of the car at the factory, or if it's just a case of the paint laying differently on the plastic of the bumper as opposed to the metal panels on the rest of the car (though the rockers and wing are plastic and look no different)? Subarus aren't known for excellent paint quality, I know this, but didn't expect what seems to be a mis-match on a brand new car.

Thoughts?

Front bumper / fender:

Quarter panel to rear bumper:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new car - Bumpers don't match - ?

Full car pictures for reference:

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you can definitely see the color difference on both the front and rear fascias. Take it back.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Always possibility of a repaint, but alot of painted plastic seems to have different color than metal components. At least in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

My senior eyes can see the difference . I know the new challengers had same problem..

Yep, back and talk with dealer...suppose to be nice monday and tuesday in Da Burgh..

Post Thanks / Like

Most bumpers these days are supplied to the assembly line by the external vendors already painted. What you see is the product of different paint number batches or possibly totally different paint manufacturer even

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Yeah you can definitely see the color difference on both the front and rear fascias. Take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Always possibility of a repaint, but alot of painted plastic seems to have different color than metal components. At least in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    My senior eyes can see the difference . I know the new challengers had same problem..

Yep, back and talk with dealer...suppose to be nice monday and tuesday in Da Burgh..
    Thanks for the super fast replies. Agreed, I think my next step is back to the dealer, but I was somewhat hoping that I was seeing things. Not too crazy about having a respray done. I know it can be difficult to match metallics, should I let them blend it or just request to do the bumpers?

MikeC - have you seen any differences in person with the plastics? This was my initial thought at first, but I guess regardless it's going to continue to bother me.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    Most bumpers these days are supplied to the assembly line by the external vendors already painted. What you see is the product of different paint number batches or possibly totally different paint manufacturer even
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. That definitely would explain it.

I guess it still comes down to either living with it or making them respray. Not sure which is worse...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that problem with my current Wrx, but mine is also an 03. However, my current Toyota and past toyotas always had a different shade compared to the rest of the car. Toyota always explained it as something along the lines that because it was different materials (plastic vs aluminium) it would always be a different shade.

Post Thanks / Like

Ccrew is right. I would not try to fix it. They would probably make it worse. Perfection is unrealistic...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast