autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber care before wash?

Um - Shortspark, I do the same thing with the exception, first hand wash Dawn, then dry bag, then MF wash All Free, found the vinegar, not beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    No! No one it seems knows how to treat these microfiber towels. After use you wash them, simple as that. I never let them sit or soak for more than a few hours. I don't care if you only have three or four towels - wash them. Every time I use a towel it goes in a bucket with a solution of hot (very hot) water with a scoop of OxiClean. Mix it up good and let them sit in the solution for a couple hours. Then wash them with your favorite microfiber restore detergent. If you don't have that then use a free and clear liquid detergent followed by a rinse (preferably two rinses) with a half cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener cycle. Hang to dry on a clothes line as long as it is not too windy, or use a wrinkle control cycle on your dryer. That's how to do it.
    Umm, washing 3 or 4 towels at a time in a washer is no where near productive, practical, or economical, so your way isn't for me, but I appreciate the feedback.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

Then wash them by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with roguegeek
    I have some towels that are over a year old that still feel and look like new. Soaking them for a few days hasn't had a negitive impact on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyoldgoat View Post
    Soaking them for a few days hasn't had a negitive impact on them.
    Why would it? They are plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it has a lot to do with what is on them also. If you use them for a WW or RW. Wring them out and throw into a non sealed container till wash time. If they had wheel cleaner or something caustic then soak in your preferred spot cleaner then wring them out and then into the container till wash time.
    2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie CrewCab w/Air Suspension
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like

No! No one it seems knows how to treat these microfiber towels. After use you wash them, simple as that. I never let them sit or soak for more than a few hours. I don't care if you only have three or four towels - wash them. Every time I use a towel it goes in a bucket with a solution of hot (very hot) water with a scoop of OxiClean. Mix it up good and let them sit in the solution for a couple hours. Then wash them with your favorite microfiber restore detergent. If you don't have that then use a free and clear liquid detergent followed by a rinse (preferably two rinses) with a half cup of white vinegar in the fabric softener cycle. Hang to dry on a clothes line as long as it is not too windy, or use a wrinkle control cycle on your dryer. That's how to do it.
    When you have like 100+ clean towels set aside it makes no sense washing a load of 4-5 that are dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    Umm, washing 3 or 4 towels at a time in a washer is no where near productive, practical, or economical, so your way isn't for me, but I appreciate the feedback.
    This👆🏽

Then wash them by hand.
    There's no way washing them by hand is going to get them as clean as a wash cycle w/dedicated microfiber detergent. Besides, who's got the energy to be fully handwashing towels? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with what is on them also. If you use them for a WW or RW. Wring them out and throw into a non sealed container till wash time. If they had wheel cleaner or something caustic then soak in your preferred spot cleaner then wring them out and then into the container till wash time.
    I do this^ in a bucket with a grit guard to drain the excess water and a loose lid over the bucket. It's far from perfect, but it makes me feel better than just letting them marinade in grit for days/week[s]

Bad part is the buckets sit in the backyard, but I don't have room indoors for dirty towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, something I don't take into consideration is what they were used for. Whether it has a certain product in them or not, I just group them together. It's probably not the best practice, but I agree with you. It's better than letting them marinade dry for days.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

Normal upkeep I just keep in separate bags (like one for glass, one for interior, paint, wheels etc) and wash. But for actually detailing like polishing and waxing etc, I'll let those soak for a few days in some water and APC first and then wash with the glass or paint bag ones.
    The real WyStang:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12