autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mysterious crosshatch scratches on front hood

I went to polish a hood on my parents Acura TL yesterday and noticed all those small white cross hatch scratches all over the front of the hood, it almost looks like the paint cracking on the front hood area near the headlights, those scratches are not on the front bumper or anywhere else, just front hood area. I have never noticed this before and I have looked at the hood several times when washing it/drying it. It is almost like they magically appeared when I started polishing, I thought I was possibly doing it with the pad like I got something in the pad but I noticed them all over the front area where I did not polish. They don't polish out, they seem down past the paint. My dad had a Black Accord that had basically the same thing all over the front of the hood. The Acura TL has had a coat of Opti Coat on it for about 2 years or so, I thought it could be the Opti Coat cracking but again my dad had a very similar thing on his Honda which was never polished or had opti coat.

The Acura TL is mostly parked in the garage, it is not driven too often nor does it really ever sit out in the sun or cold temps for a long time, it is washed every week and well cared for. It has never hit anything, front never received any kind of damage. It has been on a few long trips where some insects collected on the front but they never caused any permanent damage.

What could they possibly be, should I contact Acura if pre mature paint failure. What can I do about it aside from repainting the hood, Dr. Colorchip?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mysterious crosshatch scratches on front hood-2015-christmas-194-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mysterious crosshatch scratches on front hood

That's crow's feet, a common problem with hoods of Honda products. There's no fix.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...=crow%27s+feet

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Repaint is the only perfect fix.

I had a neighbors son ask me about his older Accord. He was pretty upset when I told him that there was no cheap and easy fix for it.

Ten year old car. Always parked in the sun, outdoors. And I don't think that it had EVER been waxed or protected in any way.

So he's going to sell it and get another car.

I guess I will be telling him the same thing about it in a few more years too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That's crow's feet, a common problem with hoods of Honda products. There's no fix.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...=crow%27s+feet
    The link didn't open for me?

This one does,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-checking.html

Mike Phillips

Here's a better picture and more specific info for this type of paint defect in clearcoat paints.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-failure.html

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, do you know what rest is? LOL!!!

Then again, most red heads I know do tend to be hyper active. LOL!!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint color is Crystal Black Perl there was a recall on those cars. At least for my old Civic Si there was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The link didn't open for me?

This one does,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-checking.html
    Oops, I just did a search and copied the link without opening it, but you're right it wouldn't open from this thread or the search window. It seems to be that apostrophe thing like is going on at Autopia, because none of the 4 threads that came up when I searched for "crow's feet" in the title would work (even though your thread doesn't have the apostrophe), but if I search on "crows feet" the links work. Weird.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boejoula View Post
    If the paint color is Crystal Black Perl there was a recall on those cars. At least for my old Civic Si there was.
    I am pretty positive the color is called Nighthawk Black Pearl for Acura which is what is on the TL. This is very disappointing if the paint is failing already. It is a 2008 and always garaged, always had a coat of wax, washed every week, the burden/cost of dealing that paint failure should not fall to owners especially when they had to have known this was a problem for a long time after a little research I did, pretty much all Honda's/Acura's effected since the 90's. My parents 96 Accord had the same thing but it was worse, I thought it might have been something my dad did like a grit or 2 of sand got caught in his buffer.

I guess I will be contacting American Honda.

Has anyone tried Dr. Colorchip on something like that, if you keep smearing it it may fill in the cracks, only problem is it will likely be removed when using the liquid to remove excess paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lexusgs View Post
    Has anyone tried Dr. Colorchip on something like that, if you keep smearing it it may fill in the cracks, only problem is it will likely be removed when using the liquid to remove excess paint.
    I don't remember anyone ever trying it, but it seems like a good (although possibly temporary) solution. I'm not sure why the solvent wipe would be any more likely to remove the paint from a crow's foot than a chip.

Don't feel like your care had something to do with this, this usually is from engine heat, perhaps combined with sun heating on dark colors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast