autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex PE14-2-150 Shocking

So I received my Flex PE14-2-150 today. I decided to do a test spot using a 5.5" LC Orange light cutting pad with M105 on a swirled out fender just to get a feel as I only have experience with my DAS/3401/Rupes15.

While the DAS needed speed 6 to cut with the same pad, the Flex needed speed 4 with the Orange Hybrid,Rupes HD Blue Speed 4, wana guess what speed the PE-14 got the same results in?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex PE14-2-150 Shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    wana guess what speed the PE-14 got the same results in?
    I'll guess that you probably didn't even
    have to turn the PE-14 on?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    P
    I'll guess that you probably didn't even
    have to turn the PE-14 on?

Bob
    Rofl lmao! Yeah just put it close to the paint and the swirls ran for their lives!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had to go over 3 with my PE-14
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I used speed 1!!! I am absolutely gobsmacked at the correction ability at speed 1! I initially thought I'd just spread the polish on 1 and then bump up to 3, but then thought to myself out of curiosity to just work the polish in at 1 and wipe off. If the swirls were still there bump up to 3, but after the wipedown I was floored, the finish was perfect!

Then I looked at the specs, the 3401 at speed 6 spins at 480rpm, the PE14 at speed 1 spins at 600rpm!

Also, its way quieter, smoother and powerful than any polisher I have ever used, it's ridiculous how easily this thing corrects paint! No fancy pads or compounds or technique. Makes me think we have regressed with DA's as this makes my 3401 and BigFoot look like one of those cheapy orbital wax spreaders in comparison. I can't believe I waited this long to buy this phenomenal piece of detailing treasure!

We all chasing faster correction through long throws,thinner pads and so forth when the answer all along was PE-14!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I used speed 1!!! I am absolutely gobsmacked at the correction ability at speed 1! I initially thought I'd just spread the polish on 1 and then bump up to 3, but then thought to myself out of curiosity to just work the polish in at 1 and wipe off. If the swirls were still there bump up to 3, but after the wipedown I was floored, the finish was perfect!

Then I looked at the specs, the 3401 at speed 6 spins at 480rpm, the PE14 at speed 1 spins at 600rpm!

Also, its way quieter, smoother and powerful than any polisher I have ever used, it's ridiculous how easily this thing corrects paint! No fancy pads or compounds or technique. Makes me think we have regressed with DA's as this makes my 3401 and BigFoot look like one of those cheapy orbital wax spreaders in comparison. I can't believe I waited this long to buy this phenomenal piece of detailing treasure!

We all chasing faster correction through long throws,thinner pads and so forth when the answer all along was PE-14!

Once you start doing more than 5-10 cars a year time is everything. And the rotary polisher, though dangerous in the wrong hands, has always been and I reckon will always be the tool of choice for heavy initial cutting in a production environment. I deal with tree/brush scratches on 4x4 pickups all the time and when that's the case the PE-14 is my goto!!
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely fascinating comment. Did you find the rotary hard to control? I am way to inexperienced to even attempt rotary usage since the risk of "burning" paint is too great and I only take care of my own rides. I don't do much correction myself but this is surely very interesting. Is it fair to say rotary for correction, DA for polishing? If so, I have my tools already since correction work is not something I need to do.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning I bought the DAS 6 thinking it would be at this level, little did I know paint was harder to correct or I expected too much out of the DAS(PC24XP to you guys). I then got the Rupes and was impressed but still didn't get the results vs time as I initially intended so bought the Flex 3401 which was around the same as the Rupes so thought thats it, they the pinnacle of correction. Today I finally achieved and received the speed and level of cut I always wanted. The sense of self satisfaction and joy is unexplainable.

Smooth
    Quiet
    Light
    Powerful

Sums it up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Absolutely fascinating comment. Did you find the rotary hard to control? I am way to inexperienced to even attempt rotary usage since the risk of "burning" paint is too great and I only take care of my own rides. I don't do much correction myself but this is surely very interesting. Is it fair to say rotary for correction, DA for polishing? If so, I have my tools already since correction work is not something I need to do.
    The way I decide if a rotary is needed is based on how deep the scratches are and how hard the paint is. If you're estimating 8 hours or more on a correction with a 3401 or Rupes then you probably should start with a rotary. The first hour I had on the machine was a bit scary but now I'm 100% confident in my ability to control it. Just focus on what your cutting edge is and never cut "into" a panel, always be "pushing the paint" to the edge, not away from it. If there's not a how to on this I'll make one soon when work (hopefully) slows down, it's been a crazy busy fall season. Like you said though, if you're not doing correction work there is no need for a rotary.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

I am rotary for cutting/correction and 50% finishing too. The other 50% finishing is via DA. While rotaries can cut more effectively you run the risk of leaving holograms. Forced rotation is forced rotation!

I WILL have a PE-14!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast