autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed car and rock chips

Hi, I have been looking around this forum for awhile but never posted. I just got my car detailed(buffed/polished/waxed) with the swirls removed on my black car. I was wondering does the rock chips? on the front bumper get removed/less noticeable or is it hard to get rid of them? Pictures I uploaded were too small so I uploaded them on photobucket. Thanks in advance.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2.jpg~original
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6.jpg~original
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2.jpg~original

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailed car and rock chips

Rock chips are missing paint. Only way to fix those is to touch up or repaint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I was kinda worried that the detailer didn't work on the bumper or something since it was really noticeable with all the white dots on the front bumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Once fixed, film is a nice way to preventer additional chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips are a cars devil. I have them all over the front of my gray car just as bad or worse than your black car. However, black will show up worse that any other color.
    The thing about a black car, it either looks GREAT, or it doesn't. No in between with black (or most really dark colors).

Post Thanks / Like

My Ford Edge gets front end chips just by looking at it!!!!!! Really wish I would have done the clear bra thing the day I got it.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Dr Colorchip road rash kit. About $75 with shipping. If you are mechanically inclined, that is. You will have product left over, so you can fix new chips as they come. Nathan

Post Thanks / Like

So the detailer you brought your car to too get the paint reconditioned didnt go over options with you about the stone chips?

As others have stated they need to be filled in and polished down. That should have been something a good detailer would go over with his customer I would expect
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    So the detailer you brought your car to too get the paint reconditioned didnt go over options with you about the stone chips?

As others have stated they need to be filled in and polished down. That should have been something a good detailer would go over with his customer I would expect
    I agree. My buddy just had his BMW into me this weekend. When I first quoted it, I told him I wasn't going to polish the front fascia which looked like it had been shot with a bb gun about 500 times. Told him I would hand glaze it but when I washed it and a light toweling paint flecks were coming off on the towel. So I texted him and told him I wasn't going to touch that area. When we first went over the car, he said he was looking into having it repainted anyway. Apparently the previous owner had some slight front end damage that required a repaint and whoever painted it definitely didn't do something right.

Sorry for the long story, but I am just a weekend warrior that does detailing for friends and family and I ALWAYS have them come over in advance to look over the car so I can show them what I will take care of (and what I can't...or a lower end detail won't). To make a long story longer...one of his buddies asked this weekend if he trusted me to do that kind of work on his BMW. It was a jet black which I talked to him about, but I did the research on it as I had heard horror stories. When I told him what I found out, he was sold. He said if a weekend guy like me is willing to go to that extent to make sure he is capable of the job, then he has no worries. Even with friends and family, it's all about that little "extra" you can put in.

Detailers shouldn't be "order takers" and should spend time talking through the process with customers, making recommendations, etc. The $50 detailer down at the swirl factory can take orders. My 2 cents.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I always have my customers bring touch up paint and fill the chips as part of what I do. Check out the 370z I just posted...it had a TON of them! To me, it is much more noticeable if they're not done once the rest of the paint looks pristine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast