autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liquid Glass over spider web scratches

Why not just get one, then? I drive cars that aren't worth one-tenth the value of that Bimmer and I have five polishers...
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

it is not about the cost of the DA. I have a 10 in orbital that i use for buffing wax. I don't see buying a DA to just remove the swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seandcarpenter View Post
    Hello fellow Auto Geeks,
    Hi Sean, welcome to AutoGeekOnline.

so just as the title says...a couple weekends ago after two days of work, I thought i took care of most of these fine scratches before applying the LG. [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]But now i am noticing i was very wrong[/COLOR]. Now i have to strip the LG, an address the scratches. Then apply the Liquid Glass again. Keep in mind i am using elbow grease, not a DA Polisher. Any suggestions on how to achieve my mission?
    What did you do prior to believing you took care of these fine scratches?

Purchase a machine to fix these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by seandcarpenter View Post
    it is not about the cost of the DA. I have a 10 in orbital that i use for buffing wax. I don't see buying a DA to just remove the swirls.

You have a lot to learn grasshopper...
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spreader.html

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

i have used LG's entire 'kit'. how many layers of LG are on there? i have called LG personally and they said the pre-cleaner will remove 1 layer of LG, but said i would have to do something much more drastic for more layers. -- i would say (if more than 2 layers) let it ride for this year and then spring of 2016 use the precleaner 2X and THEN 'fix' it properly before resealing it again. if you have 2 or less layers of LG i would use the precleaner 2X and then clay bar it. then 'fix'. i have heard LG is cheap and will wear off/come off just as easy as anything you get for $10 at the local store (which i dont believe)...... and i have also read it is super hard and almost impenetrable.

i was in the same boat as you as i had sealed it up (3 layers!) before i 'fixed' the swirls and oxidation and whatnot first...... then before i could start trying to strip it down i got in a wreck and half my car had new paint while the other half had a ton of LG on it.

i have yet to find a 'precleaner' that did NOT have 'fillers' in it which is what fills or addresses the swirls. (i believe the swirls are from improper washing methods and are permanent, filling the swirls just masks the problem more than actually fixing them.) an actual (stand alone) polish is what will make the paint look wet and eliminate the swirls and really make your black paint inky black with more depth. THEN re-seal. --(i do not think, after having used these products, that the LG precleaner will remove or "mask" enough swirls to make your car "swirl free", you will need a polish once striped and before a sealant)--

if you can afford that car you should be able to afford a DA orbital sander. you can probably get the porter cable with all you need for under $200. i would also suggest buying a hood or something from a junk yard and practice technique on that first, or if you know someone who has an old POS that they dont care what you do to it !!!and thoroughly research how to use a DA polisher here and on youtube!!! very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people can't see swirls or choose not to look but once you see them at they bother you its best to just get the da and use it. I remember the first time I used a da to correct and honestly I felt so depressed that I had wasted all that time and effort by using "elbow grease".

Post Thanks / Like

buy the GG 6"--it is worth it IMO. That is the first one I purchased and I have now bought additional ones for other purposes. The GG 6" isn't expensive and it does a great job of accomplishing what it is you are trying to do on your car. My 2 cents...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12