autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teach me about Nanoskin

One would think that too much lube would cause the sponge to glide over the contamination without removing it, but I haven't noticed that. Nanoskin does make its own soap that you can use with the wash mit that they sell.

Sent into the Ether via Tapatalk 🆒

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

My findings are a bit different from others.

What I like about traditional clay; I can see the contaminants pulled out in the clay. It's easier to know when the clay has reached the end of its useful/safe life. With the cars I work on, I feel it does a better job at pulling out contaminants.

What I like about Nanoskin prep sponge; I don't have to knead it after each panel. This saves me time and I can stay focused on the area I'm working on. It lasts longer than traditional clay. It can be washed if dropped.(for whatever reason I've never dropped clay but I've dropped the sponge twice). It can be faster but I would only use it on newer maintained paint.

Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 Blue and 1 yellow Nanoskin towel. We have had them over a year and they are still going strong. True you don't see the dirt that is being pulled off, but you can feel and even hear it coming off. Did a 2008 Evo last week. NEVER clayed and had overspray. My partner who was stand 10 feet away said "Are you sanding that thing." That's how it sounded. But after a couple of passes it was smooth as could be. I would go with the towel. Fold in in 4's and it will last you a long time. We can clay a medium car in no time at all. I use ONR for the lube. Cheap and works great.

Just make sure to hang it when you are done and don't set anything on it. We set a box of gloves on one on accident and I still can't get all the carboard that is stuck in it off. The back will stick to velcro so put a piece of velcro someplace and just stick it. Also it's very sensitive to heat. If the car is too hot it leaves a sticky residue behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the blue(fine grade) mitt and have used it with Nanoskin Bubble Bath soap (came in the kit I bought), Glide (their lubricant), and some Pinnacle clay lube that I had and the mitt works really well with all three. I like the fact that I can get the mitt in tight places and that I could decontaminate the whole car quickly. They are very easy to use and I ended up also buying the combo sponge kit that has both the blue(fine grade) and red(medium grade) sponges. I am not a professional but I find them very effective and easy to use and have recommended them to a couple of friends. Great tools in my detailing "toolbox"

Post Thanks / Like

Even when using lube does the Red (medium grade) lightly marr so you will need to polish afterwards?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what you should do is just drop by the house and I'll show you the Nanoskin pad on the DA, as well as the blue and red sponges.

(Providing you make a trip to the southside... We're about 15 minutes from I75.
    Just drop off I75 at Exit 224, take a left then go straight till you pass the high schools, then a few more turns and you're here
    .)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Used my nano skin mitt for the first time today on my buddy's car and my truck. Wow this thing is fast! No clay bars for me! This technology is where it's at.

My buddy's vehicle hasn't been even washed in two years. The front needed a lot more time but it overall it went very fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCD Detailing View Post
    We have 2 Blue and 1 yellow Nanoskin towel. We have had them over a year and they are still going strong. True you don't see the dirt that is being pulled off, but you can feel and even hear it coming off. Did a 2008 Evo last week. NEVER clayed and had overspray. My partner who was stand 10 feet away said "Are you sanding that thing." That's how it sounded. But after a couple of passes it was smooth as could be. I would go with the towel. Fold in in 4's and it will last you a long time. We can clay a medium car in no time at all. I use ONR for the lube. Cheap and works great.

Just make sure to hang it when you are done and don't set anything on it. We set a box of gloves on one on accident and I still can't get all the carboard that is stuck in it off. The back will stick to velcro so put a piece of velcro someplace and just stick it. Also it's very sensitive to heat. If the car is too hot it leaves a sticky residue behind.
    I've experienced the dreaded black skid marks but didn't know why that occurred. Hmmm, I never detail when the paint is hot so I'm not positive that's what I'm seeing. Also I've found the 6" disk works significantly better than either the towel or the mitt. If the paint is in decent shape with mild contamination then the towel & mitt work fine. For serious contamination, need to use the disk or you're wasting you time. YMMV but if I could only have one (I own all three) I would buy the 6" disk for the DA and use traditional clay for the hard to reach spots. Also I've found that if I use the any of the "nanoskin" type of products, I'll have to polish to some degree to remove the marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried this one? Saw it at AZ the other day
    https://www.eagleone.com/mitt
    Figured I'd just link to the manufacture's site, only place I could find a description of it..
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy View Post
    Has anyone tried this one? Saw it at AZ the other day
    https://www.eagleone.com/mitt
    Figured I'd just link to the manufacture's site, only place I could find a description of it..
    Sure, I have and some others.

Eagle One Surface Prep Mitt...Amazing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast