autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me prep with my Black 2014 civic please

Ok so this question will make me sound like a new b but im not. I want to smooth out and prep my paint very very well. I did chemical guys v38 followed with Chemical guys Black Light glaze then topped with Chemical guys Butter Wet Wax. I know it looks good but I also know it can look better. I've detailed many black vehicles and buffed them to the point they looked like a mirror in the sun almost looks not even black from the high reflections. I haven't been able to achieve this and I feel its because the clear coat seems to be so soft and sensitive. I know I need something a little more aggressive than v38 but I don't want to have any spiderwebing and or marring. I have a bottle of menzerna FF3000 that I haven't tried yet. So anyone how has maybe had same issue or expirence with a sensitive clearcoat and can chime in here and maybe suggest some pad/compound/polish combos for me? Here is a pic of the paint after the above process...............

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me prep with my Black 2014 civic please

How are you going to get spider webbing/swirs from a compound?

Anyway, what machine and pads are you using?

I've done plenty of Acuras and Hondas, and I really like Menzerna PF2500, HD Adapt, or Ultimate Compound in a white pad. I have no experience with the products you've listed.

It also sounds like you want to do one step. If you truly want the best looking paint you MUST do two steps. Heavier cut such as SIP 1500 followed by SF4000/4500 is truly the best and most effective way to achieve perfect paint on softer paint.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I think in this case more information is needed. What machine are you using? What pads did you use and do you have? What other products do you have at your disposal?

Yes, Honda's do typically have very soft paint. Once the paint is perfected, it is going to take absolutely care to keep it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots garage d/a and meguiars compound and polishing pads. No I can do as many steps as needed Ill do whatever it takes just need a product/pad combo that will be safe for this soft clear coat. For me when I look at those pics I see a clean basically scratch free defect free paint but I just feel it doesn't have that mirror reflectivity I have got so many times on other cars. Idk if that makes sense or you guys are seeing that maybe im just to ocd?

Post Thanks / Like

You are definitely OCD.

I havent used Chemical Guys products or Menzerna. If the surface is already defect free, I would try a good polish (not a compound, such as M205, Carpro Reflect, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0) your preference, with a good polishing pad.

Once this is done this should bring the maximum gloss.

After that, finish with a nice LSP. Perhaps consider a coating like the new Blackfire coating. Or go with a high quality paste wax like Fuzion.

The shine is really in the prep for the most part, the LSP should only be icing on the cake.