autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint coating? On bare aluminum

So I am planing on purchasing a paint coating like Car Pro CQuartz or Detailers Paint Coating to use on my car but I also wanted to coat my wheels.

My question is:

Can you apply a ceramic paint coating to BARE(un-coated) metals like in my case aluminum?

I would like to using a coating instead of a traditional sealant because it will last way longer and polishing bare aluminum is not my favorite thing to do during my free time. If left untreated aluminum will oxidize in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint coating? On bare aluminum

I think it would be wise to talk to someone from the company that makes the coating.

For example, Gtechniq does not recommend using their coatings on bare aluminum. From their FAQ:

9. Can C5 or EXO be used on polished exposed Aluminum?

No. However painted or clear coated aluminum can be treated with C5 and Exo.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Paint coating? On bare aluminum

If it was me, and I had some nice polished non coated aluminum wheels, I'd stick to less permanent products like Permanon. Because, worse case scenario if it doesn't look right, it will likely just fade off. A coating - dunno. Maybe quite a task to completely remove it from 4 wheels.

And if something goes south, who is going to have to fix it???? You are.

Im always after the path of least likely to have a disaster. I'll do something more frequently or use a product that costs more - if it doesn't require a lot of brain cells to use (low screw up something factor) and is easy to use.

That being said, I don't think any of these coatings are meant for bare aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say no to coating bare aluminum wheels.
    Myself I love the look of aluminum wheels, with the polishes of today it makes for easier polishing work.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

DLux can be used on metal can't it?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently received a prize of 22ple VM1 rim and wheel coating. Application was very easy and spreads nice and thin. The description says it can be applied to "metal trim and wheels (painted, cleared, or un-coated)". I know aluminum is tricky so I would check with 22ple to make sure.

I was given the 20ml bottle and was able to put a single coat on all four wheels and my calipers. I still have about 1/3 of the bottle left for touch ups. I used a thin makeup foam applicator which worked very well. Seems to be holding up nicely for the last couple weeks. Simply clean with regular car wash when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum coatings work perfectly fine on bare aluminum. this includes Pro, defunct 2.0 and Gloss-Coat. prep is of the essence, but it's easy as heck.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no coating on the market that will full protect bare aluminum! Alumiclear is a clear coat that can be used. It will fully protect from oxidation and staining from heavy chemicals. Again there is no coating on the market other than a clear coat that will protect aluminum completely!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propolishing View Post
    There is no coating on the market that will full protect bare aluminum! Alumiclear is a clear coat that can be used. It will fully protect from oxidation and staining from heavy chemicals. Again there is no coating on the market other than a clear coat that will protect aluminum completely!
    define "protect aluminum completely"

define "heavy chemicals"

OPT's 240 hour CASS tests for Opti-Coat were conducted on bare Al. i believe their modified filiform corrosion tests (CASS + 1000 hour temp/humidity) were as well. all results were comparable to powder coating performance in terms of resisting damage from the environment.

you'd need nothing more powerful than Power Clean if you were cleaning a coated Al wheel - car wash and agitation is really all that would be needed.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Option Coat 2.0 on my uncoated aluminum winter wheels. After a harsh Canadian winter wheels look terrible. The proof is in the pudding will be when I try to remove the dirt and see if the coating sacrafices or not. One thing when applying Coatings over bare aluminum alloy-you need to be sure all the oils from polishing are removed. In my case I used lots of cleaners and even lacquer thinner to clean. I then hand polished with Optimum Finish Polish just to make sure.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast