autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint coating? On bare aluminum

By fully protect I mean it will not stop oxidation or chemical etching. The issue is that coatings are not thick enough to seal off all the pours, therefor oxidation and chemical etching can happen. Heavy chemicals like wheel acid, stong apc's and tire cleaners will stain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint coating? On bare aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by propolishing View Post
    There is no coating on the market that will full protect bare aluminum! Alumiclear is a clear coat that can be used. It will fully protect from oxidation and staining from heavy chemicals. Again there is no coating on the market other than a clear coat that will protect aluminum completely!
    Wow i never heard of Alumaclear. Sounds like the perfect product for my project. Have you had any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    define "protect aluminum completely"

define "heavy chemicals"

OPT's 240 hour CASS tests for Opti-Coat were conducted on bare Al. i believe their modified filiform corrosion tests (CASS + 1000 hour temp/humidity) were as well. all results were comparable to powder coating performance in terms of resisting damage from the environment.

you'd need nothing more powerful than Power Clean if you were cleaning a coated Al wheel - car wash and agitation is really all that would be needed.
    Great information! I also contacted optimum and they say that applying opti-coat to bare aluminum should be no problem. Now how good it will protect I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by propolishing View Post
    By fully protect I mean it will not stop oxidation or chemical etching. The issue is that coatings are not thick enough to seal off all the pours, therefor oxidation and chemical etching can happen. Heavy chemicals like wheel acid, stong apc's and tire cleaners will stain.
    I'll have to do some more research on Alumaclear....I had no idea that stuff even existed. I just figured a coating would be my best solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12