autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to tell if coating is removed

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    OPT coating uses different technology than clear coat
    that makes it much harder and microscopically smoother once it levels. that is what makes it ideal as something to put on top of our existing clear coat to protect it. it's clear...and a coating,
    but it's totally different in chemistry.
    Let's see...there are:
    Urethane Enamel Clears; Acrylic Urethane Clears; Polyurethane Clears.

And:
    Since none are the same...
    (RE: there are no urethane police):

-Is it the wide variety of polyols, from which to choose, that makes up these Chemistry and Technology differences between Clear-Coats and Opti-Pro?

-What is a pre-polymer resin?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GanenR32 View Post
    We've noticed.
    wow, all of that "noticing" in less than a month. very observant.

EDIT: oh, welp, you're a "long time lurker".

you sound annoyed. have anything of substance to add that will make you feel included...maybe about another coating or two?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Let's see...there are:
    Urethane Enamel Clears; Acrylic Urethane Clears; Polyurethane Clears.

And:
    Since none are the same...
    (RE: there are no urethane police):

-Is it the wide variety of polyols, from which to choose, that makes up these Chemistry and Technology differences between Clear-Coats and Opti-Pro?

-What is a pre-polymer resin?

Bob
    my google research would be the same as yours, Bob. Dr. Ghodoussi would be the best source for that since he developed paint prior to developing these coatings.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Ghodoussi would be the best source for that since he developed paint prior to developing these coatings.
    I realize that you keep deferring any questioning of your Optimum Coatings' "findings"...to having myself, and others, contact their Owner/Developer (Dr. G).

Nevertheless, I'm still going to inquire:
    On what basis are you stating that Opti-Pro is technologically and chemically different than CCs?

Providing the answer to that would probably go a long
    way in proving the veracity of your "IPA-test" protocols.

JMO.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I realize that you keep deferring any questioning of your Optimum Coatings' "findings"...to having myself, and others, contact their Owner/Developer (Dr. G).

Nevertheless, I'm still going to inquire:
    On what basis are you stating that Opti-Pro is technologically and chemically different than CCs?

Providing the answer to that would probably go a long
    way in proving the veracity of your "IPA-test" protocols.

JMO.

Bob
    Bob, i refer people to him because people will discuss coatings with me and i will explain what i know. there is a limit to that. people tend to quiz me as if i'm involved with creating the product or i'm a scientist. i'm not, at all. i have researched it to a point and discussed the tech at length with the producer. and i've used it a decent amount. i'm no different than the modern weekend racer who has been building street/strip engines in his garage for the past several years and has learned what he has learned from experience, discussing with experts and the manufacturers and research.

i use it; i don't sell it to you guys. i'm not an OPT employee despite what some people seem to think. there are people elsewhere on the web who claim i'm a pro detailer and am paid by OPT to promote their products on the forums. they also call me a "retard" and an "idiot" in the same breath, so, you know...

i have been promoting my favor for OPT products since around the time i showed up on here in '08 and i didn't even talk/meet Dr. G until several years later.

Dr. G is an ally of mine and has been very helpful with sharing info. so, thus, i refer people to him if they too have questions. i don't sell the product to anyone on here, but i do discuss my experiences with it. and, it's made my life a lot easier as i've discussed in the useless/fantastic coatings thread.

why would i not refer people to the guy who has created paint and the product, vs. some dude who uses it relatively often in his garage?

next point:

i still feel there is some confusion.

when wax or sealant disappears, the paint acts differently with moisture. the surface tension has changed and water acts differently vs. areas that still have that protection. in the same vein, when you strip an LSP, the surface acts differently than when it was waxed or sealed. that isn't a question of chemistry or why those things are different. you don't need to know that to see how those scenarios play out.

what i'm describing as a test is the same exact thing, even though it's not really a test. i am just highlighting it because the question comes up so much about how to tell if coating is there or not, especially when re-correcting areas that have previously been coating.

this IPA thing just happens to occur when i'm doing my post-correction process which involves cleaning the area i polished....and in doing so, i will wipe over the area where i didn't polish. every time i deeply polish or compound in an area that was coated, and wipe the panel, the only area that acts different is the area i polished, no matter how much i try to further strip it with IPA. so that means the only two remaining things that are contacting the IPA are 1. coating in the unpolished area and 2. clear coat in the polished area. the IPA acts totally different in the area i polished. and no, it's not polishing oils or anything because again, i always wiped the area several times with IPA to assure it's clean for re-coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, i refer people to him because people will discuss coatings with me and i will explain what i know. there is a limit to that. people tend to quiz me as if i'm involved with creating the product or i'm a scientist. i'm not, at all. i have researched it to a point and discussed the tech at length with the producer. and i've used it a decent amount. i'm no different than the modern weekend racer who has been building street/strip engines in his garage for the past several years and has learned what he has learned from experience, discussing with experts and the manufacturers and research.

i use it; i don't sell it to you guys. i'm not an OPT employee despite what some people seem to think. there are people elsewhere on the web who claim i'm a pro detailer and am paid by OPT to promote their products on the forums. they also call me a "retard" and an "idiot" in the same breath, so, you know...

i have been promoting my favor for OPT products since around the time i showed up on here in '08 and i didn't even talk/meet Dr. G until several years later.

Dr. G is an ally of mine and has been very helpful with sharing info. so, thus, i refer people to him if they too have questions. i don't sell the product to anyone on here, but i do discuss my experiences with it. and, it's made my life a lot easier as i've discussed in the useless/fantastic coatings thread.

why would i not refer people to the guy who has created paint and the product, vs. some dude who uses it relatively often in his garage?

next point:

i still feel there is some confusion.

when wax or sealant disappears, the paint acts differently with moisture. the surface tension has changed and water acts differently vs. areas that still have that protection. in the same vein, when you strip an LSP, the surface acts differently than when it was waxed or sealed. that isn't a question of chemistry or why those things are different. you don't need to know that to see how those scenarios play out.

what i'm describing as a test is the same exact thing, even though it's not really a test. i am just highlighting it because the question comes up so much about how to tell if coating is there or not, especially when re-correcting areas that have previously been coating.

this IPA thing just happens to occur when i'm doing my post-correction process which involves cleaning the area i polished....and in doing so, i will wipe over the area where i didn't polish. every time i deeply polish or compound in an area that was coated, and wipe the panel, the only area that acts different is the area i polished, no matter how much i try to further strip it with IPA. so that means the only two remaining things that are contacting the IPA are 1. coating in the unpolished area and 2. clear coat in the polished area. the IPA acts totally different in the area i polished. and no, it's not polishing oils or anything because again, i always wiped the area several times with IPA to assure it's clean for re-coating.
    "The precession angular velocity of a "Spinning top",
    is inversely proportional to its "Spin speed".

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

there are people elsewhere on the web who claim i'm a pro detailer and am paid by OPT to promote their products on the forums...

i have been promoting my favor for OPT products
    We've noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the video!

Post Thanks / Like

tonight i went back to the hood after a couple days of waiting for the clear to harden in the chip. i had to clean the entire hood prior to polishing the whole thing (some minor correction had to be done as well) and re-coat.

when i went to clean it using Opti-Clean, i noticed that the uncoated (through polishing) area (that was previously cleaned with IPA and later prep solvent to assure all polishing oils were gone) responded even more dramatically than it did with the IPA. probably because there was way more moisture this time than with the IPA, but still.

this video isn't very clear for some reason - on my computer it looks great but youtube...not as much. oh well.

hopefully you can at least see the patch where i polished past the coating. notice i wipe the whole area but only the uncoated area shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/r0z1AdX1do...on=3&vq=hd1080

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12