autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Immortal - Self-Healing Coating

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Stuff is getting too complicated just for the sake of being "new". New DAs coming out that are really no different than the old DAs - but are made to look like Rupes. Now something that has to be applied in a paint booth?

Most body shops can't even buff a car right...How are they going to apply this correctly? It's just like spraying more clear coat on top of your clear coat. If you just maintain the car correctly and wash it correctly you don't need that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRabbit2.5 View Post
    Correct. Self healing clear-coat paint. Very interesting stuff. Also, very scary for correction based detailer stuff.
    (A lot more info was added to this thread while I was composing and...er...eating lunch, so please excuse some speculation that has already been corrected by other posters)

I'm just speculating, but I don't consider this to be a "detailing" product. It's clearly aimed at bodyshops and dealers (with bodyshops). If anything, as RobRabbit noted, it's a threat to detailers (of course, the Nissan self-healing paint was supposed to be, also, and that fizzled out). It's the ultimate dealer add-on, isn't it? I can see the guys in the finance booth salivating already.

Oh, and Swanic, I disagree with you on the polishers--even if they were the same polisher in a different case (which they are claimed not to be), they ARE a different form factor, who's to say that it's a bad thing to have a G110 for people who like that style, and an MT300 for people who like the "rotary" style with a trigger, even if they were the same machine (which apparently they are not).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    (A lot more info was added to this thread while I was composing and...er...eating lunch, so please excuse some speculation that has already been corrected by other posters)

I'm just speculating, but I don't consider this to be a "detailing" product. It's clearly aimed at bodyshops and dealers (with bodyshops). If anything, as RobRabbit noted, it's a threat to detailers (of course, the Nissan self-healing paint was supposed to be, also, and that fizzled out). It's the ultimate dealer add-on, isn't it? I can see the guys in the finance booth salivating already.

Oh, and Swanic, I disagree with you on the polishers--even if they were the same polisher in a different case (which they are claimed not to be), they ARE a different form factor, who's to say that it's a bad thing to have a G110 for people who like that style, and an MT300 for people who like the "rotary" style with a trigger, even if they were the same machine (which apparently they are not).
    I don't see this gaining much dealer interest unless it is cheap (not likely). Dealerships are already making a killing on crappy products that cost them next to nothing that their guys simply wipe on in 10 minutes and they still charge $1000 for it. If this product were to cost them an upfront $500 (random number) they would have to be damn sure they could turn around and sell it for the same margins or more or else why bother.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I don't see this gaining much dealer interest unless it is cheap (not likely). Dealerships are already making a killing on crappy products that cost them next to nothing that their guys simply wipe on in 10 minutes and they still charge $1000 for it. If this product were to cost them an upfront $500 (random number) they would have to be damn sure they could turn around and sell it for the same margins or more or else why bother.
    I guess it's the same argument about why (and is this related?) OPT decided to force guys like you out of OCP apparently or perhaps in favor of selling OCP to dealers--is there really a market for OCP at the dealer, when they make so much money selling crap and most customers can't tell the difference?

Will there be a market for Immortal at dealers if they have to charge $3000 for it? I guess don't underestimate the $80-100K car customer and whether they will pop for that.

Dealers farm out high-end processes, so as you suggested, maybe they partner with a detailer for either of these options. It's interesting, and makes for good conversation, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    It's a coating, but it's applied via paint gun like normal paint. It will require a booth/clean room to be applied and needs to be IR and UV cured (from what I read, not sure it needs both though).
    Sounds like paint to me.
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobRabbit2.5 View Post
    Sounds like paint to me.
    But it isn't a replacement for clear coat, it meant to be an additional layer to traditional systems. I've sprayed sereral coatings now with my HVLP gun, but that doesn't make them paints...
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    But it isn't a replacement for clear coat, it meant to be an additional layer to traditional systems. I've sprayed sereral coatings now with my HVLP gun, but that doesn't make them paints...
    I think you are the guy best positioned for this product, good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Dealers might like it. My dealer offers Ceramic Pro. We have a professional detailer install it. If I told you how much people pay for it, I don't think you'd believe me.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Immortal - Self-Healing Coating

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Dealers might like it. My dealer offers Ceramic Pro. We have a professional detailer install it. If I told you how much people pay for it, I don't think you'd believe me.

Well since most of us charge between $1000-$2000 for a CQuartz Finest installation on an average car... I'd assume CP at inflated dealer prices would be at least double that.

This isn't common for dealers though from what I have come to know. Most are using no name or cheap coating products marketed directly at dealers as a big profit generator for the unknowing customer.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think you are the guy best positioned for this product, good luck with it.
    To soon to say, but it definitely has my interest. I'm not currently set up to handle this, so I would actually have to work with a body shop, or go full time and invest into a shop with a booth. I do have some limited painting experience though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Tell us.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast