autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need advise!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advise!!!

I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra in white. Now the white on the tundra is a single stage paint, not a base coat-clear coat paint. Toyota had some problems with this white paint. The paint gets dull/blocky spots. I tried what I had at home to bring some shine back. What I have is a red pad and Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover. It worked somewhat, but with alot of work to a specific area. I need advice on what colr pad to start with and what polish? Maybe someone here has had this problem with toyota white paint.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advise!!!

To Autogeek Online!

A little on choosing the right foam pad.

Personally, I prefer using 5 1/2" foam pads on all my machines. In my opinion, the smaller pad is a perfect balance between size and efficiency. Smaller pads make controlling the polisher easier putting less stress on the machine and the user

For Wolfgang's Swirl remover I'd opt for the Orange light cutting pad. It sounds like the perfect choice for your situation.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobby,
    Like i said before I just used what I had at the moment to see what it would do. I will buy different pads, accordingly to what you posted. Is there a better polish/cleaner I should get instead of he swirl remover? I had a tough time with the 3.0 swirl remover and red pad, and I know that red is a polishing pad, but non the less had a hard time making the paint shine.

Post Thanks / Like

The red pad, if it's a Lake Country, is meant for applying waxes, sealants and like products. It has zero cutting properties and possibly the reason for the difficulty. What I suspect was happening is that the red pad was absorbing the product and really doing nothing to improve the paint because the product couldn't break down as designed.

Wolfgang Swirl Remover is a kick ass product and with an orange foam pad and the speed setting on about 5, you should see some marked improvement.

Here are some articles Mike Phillips has written that will surely help!

Car Buffers & Polishers

Dual Action Polishers

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher?

Wet Buffing Technique

DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is a Lake Country pad. It makes sense now that you put it that way. I have only done this to my current truck and a previous car so i am still trying to learn about all the different products. I will be buying a orange pad and go from there. thanks again.