autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie looking for first DA Polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    FWIW, while the PC's used to be made in the USA, I believe current production comes out of Mexico.

That's why I found tacos in my PC when I opened the box!!!...LOL

All kidding aside any of the DA's mentioned here are great for the 1st timer. We all have preferences. Mine just happened to be the PC. But my new DA is the Flex 3401 VRG and no DA regardless of brand comes close to the Flex IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebrez View Post
    +1 to the HF w/ mods! Cheap and works great. Just budget for new backing plate.

$40 with a 25% off coupon!
    If you're interested in the mods: LINK

Post Thanks / Like

i would start out with the PC just like Mike stated earlier. when you are ready to move up go with the Flex 3401 with the LC backing plate system and LC hybrid pads. that is what i have and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot agree with Mike on this one.

The Griots is a much, much better machine than the PC 7424XP. If my budget was only $150, there's no question that the Griots would be my machine of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    If it were me the PC7424 XP would be my choice. There are more different size backing plates and pads for the DA. Additionally, it keeps on working and working. I have it and am very happy with it. I got it from AGO with their PC package.

I have heard that the GG 6" were made in China, however, do not quote me on it. I would guess the PC is more reliable.

That is just my $.02 worth.
    The same backing plates for the PC work on GG the same way.. And I'll take a lifetime warranty on a more powerful machine every time, even if it was built like crap, which I don't believe it is at all.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post

The Griots is a much, much better machine than the PC 7424XP. If my budget was only $150, there's no question that the Griots would be my machine of choice.
    As I posted b4 in a different thread, take the HF, put beside Griots, remove plastic cover over both machines,, Its the same daggon unit. I will agree the HF and in same Griots does have more torque than the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

HF on sale for Fathers day 50 bucks! You really can not go wrong,, just ditch the stock BP. You want a warranty pay the 15 more dollars.

This also leaves you 100 bucks for some pads and BP.

I did not buy one for mine cause I planned on doing all the mods. Its kicking butt.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Griots 6" and 3". I admit I am a novice also with the micro-fiber pads and the expert advice here on AG I can attack anything on our 3 vehicle's.

Good luck.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post

Completely okay to disagree Critic.

But I'll stick by what I wrote and that is the PC is a well built tool by a real tool company. The fit and finish is high quality and the tool for the most part never breaks not even if you drop it.

Just to note, I'm on record as saying the Griot's version of the PC is like a safe version of a rotary buffer. This was 5 years ago.

Probably before most people reading this thread ever used one of these tools. So don't anyone think I don't know the power difference between the Griot's and the PC.

Check it out here, posted on November 8th, 2009.

Pictures from Autogeek's Roadshow Class in Dallas, Texas - November 14th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Something I noticed was as long as I held the pad flat the new http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html"]Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher[/URL] worked just like a safe version of a rotary buffer. I couldn't stop it from rotating the pad and it was removing swirls and scratches like nobody's business and unlike a rotary buffer it was so easy to use. While Nick was down below on the 3403's low setting, I ran the ROP on the 6.0 setting.

Swirled-out 1954 Mercedes-Benz

Cropped out of the above original

WG TSR with a Green Kompressor Cutting Foam Pad on the GG ROP Speed Setting 6.0

After

Same section only zoomed in on the Van in the reflection.

But I still reach for the PC whenever I need what I call an simple DA just because I like the fit and finish better and for what I use these types of tools for the 6 speed setting with the thin LC pads, the right products and the right technique will get the job done as well as any tool that is a knock-off of PC.

It's personal preference. But when I'm asked for a recommendation I recommend the tool I use to polish paint with and also machine sand paint and machine scrub tires and that's the PC.

Regardless of which brand of dual action polisher a person purchases, they are always going to have to purchase a 5" backing plate so they can spin 5.5" pads and that's why I wrote this article, which is one of the most common and popular articles I share on this forum. The info is also shared in my how-to book See my Signature Line.

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Here's some pictures showing the size of different backing plates on the popular Meguiar's Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers.

The Griot's and Meguiar's DA Polishers come with 6" backing plates and the Porter Cable by itself does not come with a backing plate.

If you want to use 5.5" foam pads on any of these tools you'll need to remember to order a separate backing plate when your order your polishers.

From left to right...

Factory Griot's 6" BP, Lake Country 5" BP, Meguiar's 5" BP and 5" Black Heavy Duty BP

3 popular DA Polishers ready to rock and roll with 5" backing plates and 5.5" buffing pads...

The correct backing plate

Lake Country 5" DA Backing Plate <-- Get this one as the Velcro will match Lake Country Pads

The correct pads
    Get the below pads to maximize the efficiency of any dual action polisher.

Lake Country

5.5" Flat Pads

Back to your discussion guys....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123