autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Damp Sanding with the GG6"

Mike or Nick, or anyone else on here. I have the GG 6" DA machine and I was wondering if anyone else had used it to damp sand a car? I would like to start testing out the 3M Trizact system, but I don't want to really go off buying something new like a dedicated sander just yet.

HUMP

Mike Phillips

Re: Damp Sanding with the GG6"

I tend to use the PC but the action of the tool is identical except that it has more power.

Mark your backing plate so you can be sure the backing plate and sanding disc are rotating and not just vibrating and test out the 3-4 speed setting.

Also, be sure to use an interface pad. The interface pad reduces the aggressiveness of the cut and also helps the disc to conform to the curve of a panel.

Most important, the interface pad makes the machine sanding process a LOT smoother as it relates to holding the tool.

Meguiar's Foam Interface Pad #S6FI 6 inch
    Back side

Working face side

Approximately 1/2" thick

What are you going to machine sand?

Mike Phillips

Wrote this back in 2010... all the information is still just accurate today as when I wrote it.... TONS of info on how to machine sand....

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post

I would like to start testing out the 3M Trizact system, but I don't want to really go off buying something new like a dedicated sander just yet.

HUMP

Electric polishers work great for machine sanding, one difference is the cord is flexible as compared to an air line which is rigid, this makes sanding easier.

Becaue you're using an electric tool around water be sure to use a GFI, the below is from my article, it covers ever aspect of machine damp sanding....

Safety Precautions with Electric DA Sander/Polishers
    If using an electric DA Polisher make sure you have access to a GFI Outlet. A GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter will stop the flow of electricity if it detects a leakage or short in the normal circuit or flow of current.

GFI Outlet

And always wear eye protection and ear protection when using any power tool.

If you don't have GFI outlets where you're sanding you can pick up a GFI adapter at any hardware store. Looks like this,

Safety First - Always plug-in to a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter

I do a lot of damp sanding and teach damp sanding using dual action polishers as well as dry sanding and wet sanding by hand . The entire idea behind damp sanding is unlike WET sanding you're only using a little water. So as long as you're using common sense there shouldn't be any safety issues.

That said, if you're going to use any type of electrical tool around water you should always be plugged into a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter equipped electrical outlet.

If you don't have access to electrical outlets with GFI built-in then you can purchase a dedicated GFI like you see in the pictures below.

I also use a GFI when I machine scrub tires or clean vinyl or non-skid surfaces in boats using electrical tool. (SEE BELOW).

For anyone reading this, use common sense and keep water away from any electrical tool and always use a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter when using electrical tools. If your electrical outlets do not offer GFI then you can get a dedicated GFI at any hardware store.

Looks and works like this...

For the last few years I've been showing a lot of people how to take their electric dual action polishers and turn them into machine wet sanders as well as how to take their Porter Cable, Griot's Garage and Meguiar's G110v2 dual action polishers and turn them into machine scrubbers for rubber, vinyl, non-skid decks on boats, etc.
    (See the follow-up post below)

Wet Test
    There are no electric tools that will pass the wet test. That's where an electrical tool is tested by blasting it with water.

Common Sense
    I've never been electrocuted when machine sanding or machine scrubbing tires but I also use common sense when using any tools anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I like using the 3" Griots. The 6" is to bulky and is not as easy to control IMO

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I like using the 3" Griot's. The 6" is to bulky and is not as easy to control IMO

The larger polisher with the 6" makes quick work of large, flat panels. You can do an entire car with a 3" disc and I know guys that have but it will take a lot longer.

When we sanded and buffed this 1928 Model A I started out all the guys that had never machine sanded before with 3" Griot's "dampsanders".

Then as their comfort level increased some moved onto full size polishers just for the speed.

But the 3" discs on a Griot's 3" mini polisher is the best way and in my opinion the only way to tackle what I call edging, that is sanding the paint next to every edge FIRST and then tackle the rest of the panel.

Pictures: 1928 Model A - Wetsand, Cut and Buff at Autogeek

Here's Matt and Craig learning to machine wetsand for their first time on a 1928 Model A Hotrod...

Notice how well taped-off this hotrod is? That's because it has a lot of curves and edges and paint is thinnest in these areas. The tape not only protects these areas but it's a visual reminder to avoid sanding on these areas.

Frank's First Time
    Here's Frank learning all about how to wetsand, cut and buff fresh paint here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

This was Frank's first visit to our Thursday night gigs and he picked an great night to join us as not only did he get to see the entire process from sanding, cutting, polishing and machine waxing a very cool traditional hot rod but he also was able to helps us restore the original paint on a 1956 Chevy Bel Air.

Den wetsanding the curve of the roof...
    It's always great to have Den here to help with these projects. Sometime in the near future we're going to have Den's GTO here for a show car makeover.

Big Boys Toys
    After getting the feel for how to machine sand using the 3" Peanut Polishers, I let the guys move up to the big boys toys meaning move up to the 6" 3M Trizact Discs on full size dual action polishers. Below Den is using the Meguiar's G110v2 as a machine dampsander.

And of course, here's the after pics....

There's a video too showing the paint on this Model A in full sun, click the link to the write-up to watch it. No holograms.

Pictures: 1928 Model A - Wetsand, Cut and Buff at Autogeek

Mike Phillips

Taught the guys in Argentina the edging technique a few weeks ago....

Blackfire creates whiplash in Argentina! - Autogeek's Detailing Class in South America!

Machine Sanding - Edging
    I love the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher. I cal it a 3" Wet Sander because it works so well for machine sanding with 3" sanding discs.

What I do when I sand down a car or teach others to sand down a car is to start by doing what I call edging.

Edging is where you sand the paint next to any edges or raised body lines first and then after sanding these perimeter areas tackle the major sections of the paint. In my classes I go over why this is important for a number of reasons and to do this by machine you must have a 3" orbital polisher that you can use with the 3" discs or do it by hand.

Machine Sanding - Majoring on the Majors
    After showing how to edge a panel and explain why to do this first, next we switched over to the Porter Cable 7424XP with 6" Trizact #3000 discs and knocked out the major portions of the panel right up to where we edged the panel.

Faster, easier and you leave more paint on the car
    Not only is machine sanding faster for the sanding step and faster for the buffing step it's also a LOT easier because the machine does all the work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, it will be starting out on my wife's 2001 Camry. It is one of those cars that I can test things on and not have to worry too much. It is black as well, so it will make a huge difference. I was not going to go lower than 3000 on hers.

HUMP

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    Mike, it will be starting out on my wife's 2001 Camry. It is one of those cars that I can test things on and not have to worry too much. It is black as well, so it will make a huge difference. I was not going to go lower than 3000 on hers.

HUMP

Already looking forward to the pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Just put the order in Mike, got Trizact 3000 and 5000 and also the interface pad. Here we go!!

HUMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast