autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a good One step DA Polish system?

I did a total 3 step paint correction with a PC on my 2 black cars last spring. Even after careful hand washings, I still have some light swirls now. Does anyone have a good suggestion on an easy one step PC polish combo? I'm thinking about doing a touchup on each in the Spring and Fall to keep that mirror finish.

I have some white LC pads left, along with meg 201, menzerna sip, and menzerna 4000 & 4500. I was thinking of trying MF pads, but not sure what polish to use, or if I should buy something new.

Thanks!
    2011 Camaro 1LT RS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a good One step DA Polish system?

One step as in an AIO, liek XMT 360 or Optimum GPS. Or one step polish like m205?

If you mean AIO, then XMT is good, and Meguairs White/Black Wax I am quite fond of!

If just a polish, M205, or any mild gentle polish will do.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

So you have a camaro and what other car? They may have very different paint "hardness" requiring a different approach for each.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Perfect Finish
    Nu Finish - The Once-a-Year Car Polish !

Post Thanks / Like

Clarifying what you mean by One Step would help.

If you're looking for a 1-step polish, depending on many factors, Sonax Perfect Finish, Menzerna PF2500, Ultimate Compound, M205, the SF4000 you already have, all of them used on a polishing pad may give you the 1-step polish reducing or eliminating minor problems while finishing LSP ready. Then you'll have to apply wax, sealant or coating, and that'll be a '2-step' process in my opinion.

Depending on paint hardness, I've managed to use FG400 with orange cutting pad as an 1-step using the 'Smack's Technique'.

If you're looking for 1-step only (from polishing to wax altogether), you can look for XMT360, Blackfire total polish and seal, and many others at AG. Mike Phillips has a great topic demonstrating those All in One (AIO) / Cleaner Waxes in details.

I like XMT360 in fast works because it can get rid of minor defects while leaving a beautiful finish, everything without the need of even buffing at the end (although I always do one or two towel pass anyway).

That would be considered 1-Step in my opinion.

Anyway, I always apply a Carnauba Wax (like liquid Souveran) on top of an AIO because I like the look and smooth feeling, but again, that's 2-step.

About MF discs, if you have a Porter Cable (PC), you'll benefit from using them, mainly if you're looking for better cutting. MF are thinner than foam pads (generally) so they spin better using a PC. They also works well on lower speeds (3-4) and less pressure, so you will not be struggling with pad rotation since those characteristics above are in favor of pad spinning.

I tend to say the pressure used for MF discs is 'FIRM', not Heavy.

Generally, I like to use D300 compound with MF, but you may also use any other product like FG400, Ultimate compound, M105, M101, and many others.

What I see generally is that after cutting with MF and a compound, you'll generally need a secondary polishing / finishing step to achieve flawless finish, and that means getting rid of any 'haze' left by compounding step with Microfiber.

On the other hand, I'm seeing people here using MF FINISHING disc with M205 and achieving awesome results in 1-step polishing.

I'm yet to test this setup (I have both MF finishing and M205), so I cannot give my personal opinion on this one, just comment from what I've read.

I'd recommend you to get a 5" plate to use 5.5" MF discs, since the larger discs will make your PC 'struggle' a bit more to work with such large pads.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads in 5.5" are also a great addition to a PC-style machine, since they can be used as 1-step polish and with AIO products. They cut well while finishing really nice (all of them, the Cyan Cutting pad and the Tangerine Polishing Pad).

I've tried using Hybrid Pads (the ones I use with the Flex) with my PC-style machine (a G220v2 from Meg's), but I've found the pads to be much thick and dense for such machines. Sure it will work, but will take more time and work than using a smaller Hydro-Tech like mentioned above.

I've placed a thread here using AIO in a Peugeot where I have a picture of a test spot using 3 kind of pads for XMT360 (White Polishing, HT Tangerine and MF Finishing Disc). I ended up using all 3 pads in different areas, but if I had to chose one, the Hydro-Tech Tangerine would be the one.

Hope I've helped,

Please, feel free to ask if any question left.

Also, feel free to disagree from my point!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit. With this cruel Chicago winter, I'm just starting to think about, as my wife calls it, making love to my car.

My one step, I simply meant a light touch up of polish to get rid of minor swirls. I fully intend to use BFWD as a sealant, with additional wax. So in essense, a 3 step...lol.

Since I have a lot of Menzerna 4500 left, I may just try that first as a test to see if it gets rid of the minor swirls. If that doesn't do it, I'll get some 205, along with MF pads to see if that does it. Thanks again!
    2011 Camaro 1LT RS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit. With this cruel Chicago winter, I'm just starting to think about, as my wife calls it, making love to my car.

My one step, I simply meant a light touch up of polish to get rid of minor swirls. I fully intend to use BFWD as a sealant, with additional wax. So in essense, a 3 step...lol.

Since I have a lot of Menzerna 4500 left, I may just try that first as a test to see if it gets rid of the minor swirls. If that doesn't do it, I'll get some 205, along with MF pads to see if that does it. Thanks again!
    Menzerna SF-4500 is fine...I mean really fine. I use it to make a near glass-like shine just a bit glossier. Menzerna SF-4500 has almost no cut at all and in fact, some use it and are left with the feeling it does nothing...

A newer product in Menzerna's line up is their FG-400. While this is their most aggressive product ahead of their PG-1000, it finishes up like a polish with a nice gloss to boot! If I were to use Menzerna SF-4500, it would be right after using the FG-400.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

If your paint is hard, I would go wtih something like PF2500

If its soft, SF4000 might be enough.
    Nu Finish - The Once-a-Year Car Polish !

9. Thanks derass thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Menzerna SF-4500 is fine...I mean really fine. I use it to make a near glass-like shine just a bit glossier. Menzerna SF-4500 has almost no cut at all and in fact, some use it and are left with the feeling it does nothing...

A newer product in Menzerna's line up is their FG-400. While this is their most aggressive product ahead of their PG-1000, it finishes up like a polish with a nice gloss to boot! If I were to use Menzerna SF-4500, it would be right after using the FG-400.

Thanks for the chart Bobby, I already saved it to my desktop for when i need to order again
    Thomason Car Care
    (423) 883-5944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
    Sonax Perfect Finish
    +1 for Sonax Perfect Finish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast