autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Adds

Post Thanks / Like

Craigslist Adds

This is a detailing 101 lesson for anyone thinking of or already doing advertising on sites like craigslist. I've heard about people placing adds on craigslist before, have never really looked at any of the adds before. Tonight I decided to see what was out there.

What I found: many, many adds that are poorly written, offering services such as a "full detail" for $65 which include processes such as "wash, wax, and topped with an instant detailer". People selling themselves by enticing potential customers with catch phrases such as "I really like cars". Standard pricing by vehicle size, sight unseen.

Another point I noticed was the tone of many of the adds. The word choice made any of the detailers sound desperate for work. What does that tell you? It tells me they don't do quality work.

Of course my favorite was "I provide the best detailing service in XX city". This claim was accompanied by two, poor quality, photographs and no company name.

I personally don't like this type of advertising, but if you ever decide to post an add on a site like craigslist, do yourself a favor and have it proof read by multiple people. Get feedback from fellow detailers who understand the business as well as someone who doesn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel. This will make sure your add is well written from the point of view of someone who knows as well as someone who doesn't have a clue about detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craigslist Adds

I have never used craigslist and probably wouldn't seems like most detailers on there are hacks from what I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Idk, this is might just be me, but I pretty much don't trust craigslist. I am sure there are some legit ones out there, but I would not risk finding a needle in a haystack on craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way which is why I've never used craigslist or even looked at the adds before. Curiosity got the better of me so I checked them out and my feelings were confirmed.

I did find one add that was decent, not good, but decent. Then I found another add in a different town 50 miles away that used the exact same words, formatted a bit differently. The person worked out of his garage and had different contact info. I'm assuming someone liked the add so he copy and pasted it into his own add, word for word including the background experience. I guess it's possible they were siamese twins recently separated and striking it out on their own.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree..........however you will have plenty of people falling for their sales pitch, because they do not know what a good wash and detail actually is

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a few posts on CL, never got a response yet. I did read what others posted, most have no pictures, poor spelling and grammar. Most also see like a jack of all trades guy, someone who while doing your "breaks" will buff out your car. I have some purchases off CL as well, haven't been jacked yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craigslist Ads

I used craigslist for the first time last summer and garnered some success with my ad. One customer chose me over the "others" because I had photos of my work, a clear description of my services and came across as a credible business. Another customer hired me based on my craigslist ad to wash his 80+ cars he was selling at an annual auto auction nearby.

A quality craigslist ad can make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

And this is what we have to deal with on a day to day basis, the "hacks" as they were called ruin a legitimate detailer especially in a smaller market or a lower socio-economic market where expendable money is hard to come by. I had this same thing happen to me all the time when I had my mobile business, always trying to justify my pricing, when the "hack with a hose" will do it for pennies because they are only looking for what they can make that day. I see it alot where I live.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

The only time i've used Craigslist was when i offered detailing lessons at $20 an hour. I did that for about a month;got no bite so i gave up completely.

I do know what you mean though, many places offer such services which just makes me shake my head is dissapointment.

Owner at Clean N' Shiny Auto Detailing Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe any exposure, whether on Craigslist, Facebook, blog, or other website is good exposure. As long as it generates traffic/revenue, i believe it can be successful.
    To call a detailer a hack and unqualified, simply because his ad is poorly designed, may be considered unfair judgement, especially if you have not personally inspected the advertiser's work.
    One can go as far as to state all poor spellers can't detail worth a lick, and that would be wrong, too, as one (spelling) has nothing to do with the other (detailing).
    I do agree, however, that proper spelling and a well laid out ad can garner some confidence in the potential customer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast