autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Adds

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craigslist Adds

I believe there could be legit ADS on craigslist with legit professionals, but most people are SO CALLED BARGAIN SHOPPERS on sites such as CRAIGSLIST that is part of why they have sites such as ANGIES LIST. Most looking for detailing services are looking for the CHEAP which may equal lack of skill, lack of knowledge, subpar products and quick service with cheap tools/equipment. Most CAR WASHERS advertise on craigslist are looking for the quick money, Don't care about skill, products or really customers, now I use craigslist from time to time I post MY PHOTOS not photos from others I post my website as well I may use CRAIGSLIST to get new customers and run a DISCOUNT for a limited time, but what I have found is most want the $10.00 Deal: $10.00 hand car wash/detailers
    And since these $10.00 CRAIGSLIST CAR WASHER will do it every day for that rate it maes a more difficult on the TRUE ENTHUSISAT/PROFESSIONAL
    I know of several shops in my surrounding area that don't even try to charge at the least $20.00 for an EXTERIOR WASH ONLY they will settle for $10.00 or $15.00 just to make rent plus have a crew working n their shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craigslist Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post
    I used craigslist for the first time last summer and garnered some success with my ad. One customer chose me over the "others" because I had photos of my work, a clear description of my services and came across as a credible business. Another customer hired me based on my craigslist ad to wash his 80+ cars he was selling at an annual auto auction nearby.

A quality craigslist ad can make a difference.
    Which goes back to my OP, if you choose to place an add, make sure it is professional.

As others have stated, most people on CL are looking for a bargain, but you are proof, that not everyone is looking for ONLY cheap, quality does matter to some.

I haven't looked at anything on Angie's List, but would venture to guess information contained there is much better

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Craigslist is a place where "bargain shoppers" go to find dirt cheap deals. I also see many ads that are just thrown together and are poorly written both in design and grammar. I personally will overlook ads like this since the odds are that the owner of the ad isn't as meticulous as I myself am. With that being said, Craigslist for the most part is a crapshoot and I choose not to shop or advertise there. On the flip side, I'm sure there are many reputable businesses who choose to advertise on Craigslist but like I said, weeding through all the ads to find them is just too time consuming for many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many here seem to be preoccupied with detailers that charge excessively low fees to wash, wash, detail cars. I don't believe one should focus on these, as they are not your competition. Some restaurants charge $7 for a steak in a comparison to others that charge $50. You should be focusing on your business model and let the low-ballers do their own thing. Concentrate on your market segment and let the customer looking for a $10 wash, wax, detail go to the one selling it. That customer, most probably, would never pay your asking price. Better yet, he will have learned a valuable lesson from the so-called hack job and seek you out to correct what the other detailer ruined.
    The restaurant selling $50 steaks knows it may not get the business of the customer looking to spend $7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said!^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

If you spend more time on your self then you do on what the other guy is doing you will be better off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Craigslist Adds"
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
    if you ever decide to post an add on a site like craigslist,
    do yourself a favor and have it proof read by multiple people.
    ^^^^^^

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a detailing business, I would post a well laid out ad on Craigslist every week. It is free advertising, it gets the business name out, and if done properly, can generate some business. I don't see a down-side.

I shop on Craigslist from time to time for items that I am unable to find elsewhere. Contrary to what was said above, I am not looking for a bargain, I am looking for hard to find items, and hopefully some value.

In the market for a Plymouth Prowler, after scouring eBay, Autotrader, Yahoo and AOL Cars, I finally found and purchased a 2001 Prowler in near mint condition with only 6K miles on Craigslist in Reno. My point here is, there are people of means that do shop Craigslist, and many are looking for value.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found an apartment on craigslist. Where I lived there about 4 years ago for about 2 years with my ex, ex.

She was small little lady

http://youtu.be/6Q8uoRO2LFw

^ just like that, she was older and my landlord lady had to be pushing 85

Post Thanks / Like

First starting out, I relied solely on cl ads as I wasn't about to lay money out for advertising.

Once I got word of mouth and repeats I slowed it down. It worked. You will get 'cheaps' but know that going in. You're always going to have the hacks to compete with. I raised my prices. Smart folks understand you get what you pay for.

I had a really good client review me on yelp, at the time I had no idea what that was, and it increased business. Now, if yelp would unfilter my ads I may consider advertising with them.

You should be aware of your competition, but don't be so quick to match prices.

Folks who are only interested in price are usually the most difficult to please. I usually refer them to the neighborhood tunnel wash. And yes I've been blunt and explained to them that they sound like price is their sole motivating factor in deciding on a detailer. Educate your clients. Washing cars isn't detailing. When we have that conversation, some see the light, others go cheap. Sometimes, not all the time, I hear back from them. ; )
    davinciautodetail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast