autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flex or Rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Flex or Rupes?

Just got a notice of a coupon and it includes polishers so I am debating on picking up another to add to my arsenal. I currently have a GG with a 6" backing, I have two HF with a 2 7/8" and 5" plates. Wondering if I should get a Rupes or Flex DA? I have a myriad of 6.5" pads which I think would work on the Flex if I am not mistaken. Or I can get the multi plate job for the Flex and have all three sizes there. I'm ok with having to get new pads if needed. If you could buy one tomorrow and don't have either which would you get? The cars I work on are usually in bad shape and need a good heavy cut before polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex or Rupes?

For versatility and cutting power, I say FLEX. I don't have a RUPES so I cant comment legitimately on it.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Rupes 15 last week and absolutely love it. It is an amazing machine, super smooth and easy to use. My friend has a Flex and it's a great machine too, but I'm glad I went with the Rupes.

I did a light Polish with Wolf's "The Jeweler" with a Black pad followed with an application of Wolfgang 3.0 with a Blue pad and two coats of Fuzion by hand. I just love the smooth effortless operation of the Rupes. It is super easy to control and not fatiguing at all.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like
    About a month ago I was asking myself this same question. I ended up buying a Rupes and their pads. The thing is, I can't comment on it because I haven't used it yet.

The way I made my decision was it seems to me a Flex 3401 would work better on cars that need more severe correction due to its forced rotation. A Rupes seems like a better finessing machine for lighter polishing. It seems like for lighter correction work the Rupes may be less fatiguing.

Although I only base my opinion on comments of others, I can remember more than one post where someone was having a tough time with a 3401 finishing down the way the user desired for whatever reason. Its surely operator error, not the machine's fault. But, I didn't want to go through that learning curve if I didn't have to.

Another thing is, the Flex is a bit more versatile, as you can use pads as small as 4" with it. If you go with a Rupes, you'll likely need another polisher for smaller pads.

So, if your doing heavier correction work the Flex may benefit you more with wool pads and such. It also has a proven track record of reliability, but I haven't read of anyone with a broken Rupes yet. I think from an enthusiast's point of view, I do like that Rupes makes the pads, machine, and polishes all to work together - it doesn't get much simpler than that

Post Thanks / Like
    For you, I'd say get the FLEX. it's just very powerful with the forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a Flex for about 3 years and still delivers swirl free.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you i would go with the Rupes 21 since you have all those lager pads. Also you can get the 5" Backing plate that works great with the 21 then you can use smaller 5.5" pads.

The MF discs work get with the rupes as well and make heavy defect removal very easy and quick.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day the Rupes is still just another DA. Yes, it's a bit hyped up and maybe deseredly so with the larger throw but it's still missing the power. It's got the same size motor as the PC 7464xp, not even as much as the GG let alone the Flex.

It's like a car...you don't always need the additional horsepower but when you need it, isn't it nice to know that you have it? And isn't it fun?

So when you need to do that extra correction, don't you want to know that you have the right machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Power is also only as good as it's passed down to the backing plate. Similar to horsepower is no good if the wheels can't handle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't tried the flex, but I'm very happy with my rupes. If you get a rupes, mf pads are a necessity. They rip through swirls like nobody's business. Flex would probably be better on curved panels but I love the rupes because it is so smooth and I don't get fatigued.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast