autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

quick detailer after a short drive vs fresh wash

is one easier than the other for you?

i used to like using it to clean my car after its been used for a day or a quick drive, but i've found recently that for some reason, it streaks bad if the car isn't perfectly clean.

i use fk425 right now, and i have tried a dilution of fk425 2:1 with an onr quick detail solution which worked much better on clean surfaces to fight streaking of the product in general, but if used on the car when it is dusty from a drive or from sitting in a parking lot at work all day. i just can't get smears out unless i literally wash it first, then apply.

has anyone had problems with this? would i be much better off using a waterless wash product instead of a quick detailer to remove road dust from a days drive after i put the car in the garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Never tried Fk, but are you QDing when your paint is warm or hot? That makes a huge difference to me, unless your using a QD that's good in all weather. Humidity plays a big role as well, IMO.

I still feel like no matter what I do, things aren't quite as clean as when I use a wash. If my car already has protection, nothing beats a wash with QD or QW after.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: quick detailer after a short drive vs fresh wash

Try chemical guys Eco smart.

Post Thanks / Like

You are on a slippery slope. QD'ing a car all the time to keep it clean is the best way to induce swirls and scratches. QDers are only meant for the lightest dust and fingerprints. Using a waterless wash is much better, but "wiping down" the car all the time (instead of washing it) with anything will eventually mar your paint - especially black.

Ask me how I know...

The best thing to do is just let it get dirty and wash it by a safe method IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped waterless washing after a few attempts. Did it clean my car? "Yes"

But I just thought about touching my paint so often (while dirty) and just started to make zero sense to me, (with a ton of "if's and's or but's)

I just let my car collect dust then spray the dirt off with water,then then spray soap,very lightly pass it with my chenille mitt, (1 time)

I then use a Spray wax as a drying aid, I then lightly pat dry, trying to touch my paint as little as possible.

But to each their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    You are on a slippery slope. QD'ing a car all the time to keep it clean is the best way to induce swirls and scratches. QDers are only meant for the lightest dust and fingerprints. Using a waterless wash is much better, but "wiping down" the car all the time (instead of washing it) with anything will eventually mar your paint - especially black.

Ask me how I know...

The best thing to do is just let it get dirty and wash it by a safe method IMO.
    this is true, and i tend to do a quick "test" in a low spot on the car first or a spot that is hard to see without really looking by using a micro and sort of lightly touching the surface, if the dust or whatever else on it can be pulled off simply by touching the surface to reveal clean paint underneath, then i feel its safe enough to do a light wipedown. but if there is a haze below or the paint doesn't look clear, then it definitely needs a wash.

the problem for me is i do not want to have to drive out to wash my car every week, im currently still looking for a house, and have an apartment garage which is unfortunately very unfinished, so i get constant dust on my car just from being parked in it.

the swirls are inevitable, but if i can keep anything deep from going in, i am fine as the car needs a respray (bad rock chip damage on a fender, faded and going clearcoat on the rear quarter areas.), so its not a huge concern to me right now. where i sit right now its about as good as i can get. although i do a lot of waterless washes as well, just ordered some ONRWW instead of the shine.

i probably am using the QD too much as a clean up instead of a shine enhancer though, and should stick to my guns with washing before touching up though.

Post Thanks / Like

I am anal like this also and clean my good car after everytime its out of the garage. Most days I use a QD to get the dust off from the day outside. If its REALLY dusty, I'll use a waterless wash. To get the bugs off, I always use a WW to do this.