autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: New to scratch removal w/ questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Yep. 800 is what I would start with
    If that works for you then I say go for it. I'll stick to what I wrote and recommended. That is,

Avoid sanding and if the truck is older and a daily driver work truck, just offer to improve the finish, don't promise to remove 100% of the scratches. Especially in the context of the OP's stated experience and arsenal of products and tools.

There's an old saying,

Use the least aggressive product to get the job done

That's a pretty good approach that's been working for a long time whether you're working on a show car or a daily driver and whether you're a seasoned professional or brand new to car detailing.

Kevin is a member here. Would it be okay if I emailed him this thread so he can explain this for himself?
    I count Kevin as a very good friend. We've known each other since the early 1990's and in my how-to book I gave him credit for the KBM as I don't ever steal other people's work and claim it as my own. I make it a practice to give credit where credit is due. I don't see the same respect practiced in the online world since I've been in the online world but I can't take responsibility for other's actions, only my own.

By all means invite Kevin to explain your recommendation of starting with #800 grit discs or sandpaper on older, factory paint on a daily driver to a guy that's new to doing correction work. Kevin is a really smart and experienced detailer and everyone benefits from his insights and experience.

I would be surprised to see Kevin recommend using #800 grit sanding discs to the OP of this thread for this project but I'm always open to learning. Keep in mind, after using #800 grit sanding papers or discs you would still have to refine these sanding marks to at a minimum #1200 grit to use a product like M105 or M100, which are stated at being able to remove down to #1200 grit sanding marks on fresh paint.

So your process could look like this,

1. Sand with #800 grit
    2. Sand with #1200 grit
    3. Machine Compound
    4. Machine Polish

All four of the above steps will remove a measurable amount of paint. Again, this is on a daily driver, probably a work truck by a guy that is new to detailing. I'm thinking just the expense of using premium quality products to do the above would cost more than what I recommended, that is just compound, polish and wax and educate the customer. Plus his customer might not want to pay for a project requiring sanding discs, a premium compound and polish.

Maybe a pro working very carefully with all the tools, pads and products could carefully do the work, especially if they taped off all the raised body lines and edges with a tape like the 3M Blue Vinyl Tape.

Paint tends to be thinner on edges and raised body lines. If a person didn't tape off these areas, the chance for a mistake would be even riskier. See examples in this thread except we used #1500 and #3000 grit Trizact discs.

1965 Mustang GT Fastback - Wetsanding - Live Broadcast

P.S. I heard you got married while I was away. Congratulations man !!!!
    Thank you. And yes, I did get married and life is good... You can see my lovely wife here...

A few wedding pictures - Mike & Stacy in Key West

Post Thanks / Like
    My cousin said he used 800 grit, but that was on a new painted car, with extra CC to spare. To remove "dirt" that got collected during the paint process. I said, "really!?" He said "yeah crazy huh" (probably more, but don't remember the exact conversation)

This job might be fixable/masked but way, way... to advanced from my experience/skill.

Even a DA Nano Skin Auto Scrub would scare me to put on this. (Lol not really, but that's how "bad" this is IMO)

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to put words in his mouth, but I think what he meant was by starting with a lower grade, less passes would be needed, thus less clear coat is actually removed. I can't say I comprehended everything he was saying,
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Flash this is very interesting. I was thinking at first that maybe the 800 grit was a typo. I would be very interested in getting more info on the process you are talking about. This would be some great info to read!
    No it was no typo. Maybe not exactly what Kevin was trying to explain to me, but it worked out beatifully on my friends Camry (thank you Jesus!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If that works for you then I say go for it. I'll stick to what I wrote and recommended. That is,

Avoid sanding and if the truck is older and a daily driver work truck, just offer to improve the finish, don't promise to remove 100% of the scratches. Especially in the context of the OP's stated experience and arsenal of products and tools.

I agree Mike. I've turned down a job were the owner wanted their 2012 King Ranch (daily driver) fully wetsanded just to remove a very small amount of orange peel. IMO it just wasn't worth it. After polishing it out and talking with the guy somemore he thanked me for not listening to him

What the OP posted though I don't see where you have much to lose. That thing looks TERRIBLE!

I've sent Kevin this thread. Hopefully in time he can write something out that we all might learn from....and that without doubt includes me

Your wife is HOT! How do ugly guys like us land such pretty girls? Best I can figure is they know we know we will never be able to do any better

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the help guys. Here's the moment you've all been waiting for.

Started with this:

After 4 section passes of UC:

After 3 more section passes of UC:

Followed up with 2 section passes of CG AIO:

50/50 (I have no fancy swirl light)

Afters:

50/50 in the sun:

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. This was my first paint correction period. I feel confident now and people need to have confidence in their products. I'm very impressed by the UC and the AIO.

I'd say it's about 90-95% correction but you REALLY have to look for the scratches. Any of you AGer's could find it but to the normal customer/citizen, you won't see a thing.

Thanks again guys,

Frick
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

WOW fantastic turn out! Bigups to you!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    WOW fantastic turn out! Bigups to you!
    Thanks a lot, Evan.

Here's another:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Mfrickman, great results!
    So no wet sanding, Just compound?
    Again Great job (props!)

Post Thanks / Like
    No wetsanding.

-ONRWW'd the area with 4:1 QD.
    -Clayed with Nanoskin Sponge
    -Compound with Meg's UC with an orange LC CCS pad with my PC7424
    -Applied CG AIO with green LC pad
    -Final wipe with ONRWW 4:1

Primed my pads with the QD solution and just did like the Mike Phillips' articles and videos show. I think it turned out really good and took me 15 minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't turn really good, it turned out awesome-ingly really great!

Again great job! it's night and day.
    👏

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work buddy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast