autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

cleaning interior and door jambs...

Hi guys,

I had some trouble cleaning my interior carpets with all the hardened salt stains yesterday and thought I'd ask for some advice on how to tackle this. I used some Zep carpet cleaner but couldn't get it cleaned. How do most of you handle really stubborn hard salt stains?

Also would like some advice on cleaning some really dirty door jambs. I was thinking of using ONR but I don't think it will be enough for the the door jambs I'm working on because they are really heavily soiled. I do have some OPC but not sure how to rinse it off because I don't want to get all the interior all wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning interior and door jambs...

I believe that white vinegar can help remove the salt stains.

For the door jambs. I would dilute OPC to 10:1 and spray on the jambs. Let it soak for bit. Then fill a bucket with clean water and get a MF towel in there and ring it out some. Proceed to wipe the jambs clean. After this I would follow up with a quick detailer or ONR diluted because the OPC may leave streaking.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Zep Carpet Cleaner has an alkaline pH level of approximately 9-10. This is similar to the alkalinity of motor oil. What you are trying to clean out of the carpets is a mixture of dirt, oil, salt, and other ingredients tracked in from the outside. In order to release the stains from the carpet you need to neutralize the pH level of the stains. Try using some sort of "citrus" type APC with a lower (more acidic) pH level and see how that works.

For the door jambs I usually spray them out with a 40 degree nozzle from the pressure washer (carefully, so as not to get any over spray inside the vehicle). Then treat them with APC and wipe down. Heavier soiled areas may need to be cleaned with a soft brush, rinsed, and then wiped clean. ONR will work on lightly soiled door jambs but if the vehicle has been neglected you will probably want something with a little more bite.

Happy Easter!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately I don't own a pressure washer. Would you consider Zep citrus degreaser a safe citrus cleaner for the door jambs? If not I think I can dilute it to 4:1. I've heard other forum members mention Zep CD as a good APC

Post Thanks / Like

What about some folex for the carpets? I have used Meg's APC+ with hot water and stiff brush to agitate the area and loosen up the salt.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    What about some folex for the carpets? I have used Meg's APC+ with hot water and stiff brush to agitate the area and loosen up the salt.
    +1 folex

Post Thanks / Like

I use OptiClean on my door jambs. Cleans well and also protects paint and door seals.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use CG NONSENsE on the carpets with a stiff bristle brush and I would saturate the door jambs with waterless wash and gently wipe in one direction with some microfibers that I don't care too much about.

Post Thanks / Like

+2 Folex. Stiff brush or a carpet brush on a PC works great.

Low Tech:
    APC+ or Simple Green (diluted) and a brush to agitate for jams.

Hi Tech:
    For door jams I'm starting to make the Tornador Black part of the process. My first run with this tool was a trashed floor carpet and it worked very well. Thre air really helped dry out the carpet. BTW I diluted APC+ for this trial. I then did my engine bay, door jams, gas tank lid and trunk lid, all with APC+. Overall very impressed with the cleaning ability.

For door jams it has the ability to contain the overspray sort of a "surgical cleaning". Pretty handy for interiors as well.

Next I want to try Folex as the solution on carpets. I think it will be better than APC+.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    +2 Folex. Stiff brush or a carpet brush on a PC works great.

Low Tech:
    APC+ or Simple Green (diluted) and a brush to agitate for jams.

Hi Tech:
    For door jams I'm starting to make the Tornador Black part of the process. My first run with this tool was a trashed floor carpet and it worked very well. Thre air really helped dry out the carpet. BTW I diluted APC+ for this trial. I then did my engine bay, door jams, gas tank lid and trunk lid, all with APC+. Overall very impressed with the cleaning ability.

For door jams it has the ability to contain the overspray sort of a "surgical cleaning". Pretty handy for interiors as well.

Next I want to try Folex as the solution on carpets. I think it will be better than APC+.

+1 on the Tornador to clean door jams.
    My Tornador and new steamer from Mytee are actually making detailing fun again..
    Mercedes C230 Sport edition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast