autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OCW - Preferred Application?

Greetings All:

Was looking to get some thoughts on the preferred method of application for Optimum Car Wax.

Thanks In Advance

Ray

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OCW - Preferred Application?

Spray it onto your vehicle and spread it over the paint with a microfiber towel.

It's that easy

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car Wax is pretty easy to use but most of us tend to use too much. Over use can cause streaking especially noticeable on darker colors. The key to avoiding this is to use a light spray on a microfiber towel then buff the paint.

Sealant's and waxes in general go a long way and most of us have a tendency to over apply everything thinking more is better.....not the case here. When you think about the actual film thickness that's protecting our cars finish, that's really all that needs to be applied, the rest is wasted and gets thrown away...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

For most spray waxes, I would suggest using 2 towels - one to spread and one to buff dry. The first towel will get more saturated as you go so you will not really need to spray as much initially. The second drier towel will be sure minimal issues with streaking since saturated towels are not picking everything or just transferring back to paint.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I do the spray-on-the-applicator when I am in sunlight and cannot avoid it. Otherwise, I spray on the panel and wipe. What I find is that as I progress through the car the applicator (microfiber) gets saturated and I need to spray less product as time goes by.

Post Thanks / Like

On a normal sized panel I would say a couple of sprays is enough, on larger panels such as the roof then maybe 3 or 4 would be needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    For most spray waxes, I would suggest using 2 towels - one to spread and one to buff dry. The first towel will get more saturated as you go so you will not really need to spray as much initially. The second drier towel will be sure minimal issues with streaking since saturated towels are not picking everything or just transferring back to paint.
    Best advice with OCW above. The first towel will eventually get soaked, but that's okay because its main purpose is to spread the OCW to get good coverage.
    The second towel is the wipe off/ buffing towel.

OCW will streak pretty badly on dark colors. Not the products fault considering how durable OCW is.

Another fabulous method is to spray OCW onto a red LC pad and apply via PC. Allow to haze and buff of with a microfiber. More labor intensive and kind defeats the purpose of using a spray wax, but it provides more durability then SOWO.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't the towel you use to buff dry eliminate any streaking?

I've never had a problem with it streaking. OCW looks great and can be used as a standalone LSP. Very rare for a spray wax.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

If going to use a like 4 towels. OCW streaks more than any other spray wax I've used. It must be "waxy" that causes streaks, but at same time offers tremendous protection for a spray wax. It's more of a SOBO and not SOWO.

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

I've never had a problem with it streaking. OCW looks great and can be used as a standalone LSP. Very rare for a spray wax.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

It looks like your car is silver from your avatar ??? Ever try it on a black car?? Maybe in too picky, but I see holograms from it in the sun no matter how sparingly I use it. It's been a while though, maybe I'll try it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast