autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Major problems!!!

Hi everyone, i posted before under my friend about a lancer ralliart. Anyways today we tried it again this time we bumped up to a yellow LC pad and SSR3 to remove the swrils.
    After working it in, no swrils were removed and this happend (see pic)

Major problems!!!-wtf-jpg

looks like it ripped the paint i guess...werid thing is..its flush to the curve

now sorry if i pissed but ### is going on heh. The swrils in crazy deep...clear coat missing or what?.. What should i do...

So people reading htis know we tried orange with ssr2.5 and it wouldnt work... i tried the same setup on a silverado and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Matteo

Here is a bigger pic: http://smnetworks.ca/S36000233.JPG
    Last edited by matteo86; 05-11-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    paint is always lightest on edges and corners, you must take care and passion when working these areas. Also a yellow pad, is truly to aggressive in most instances for use. Trying sticking to white or orange as a worst case when using LC pads.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    paint is always lightest on edges and corners, you must take care and passion when working these areas. Also a yellow pad, is truly to aggressive in most instances for use. Trying sticking to white or orange as a worst case when using LC pads.
    Ok so is that basically stripped paint... ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch. Sorry to see that. A yellow pad. Were they horrible swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Star
    Ouch. Sorry to see that. A yellow pad. Were they horrible swirls?
    Very... and funny thing is they still wont come out
    ill try a level surface and try to fix this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks that way to me, like killer said on the corners you got to becareful.
    I have that same problem on my SUV, I have lots of grooves on the roof top area and the CC is failing on the corners and curves. Rest of the vehicles paint is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Matteo,

Sorry to hear about your little booboo my friend but what machine were you using? PC? or Rotary? (sorry I don't recall your earlier post). Now, have you tried wiping the area with a mix of Isopropyl and water? The reason I say this is because I had the same issues when I detailed my Volvo and I thought I had burnt the paint at the edges and all it was polish that did not break down properly. So I spray the area, well actually I do this every time I'm dong any polishing. After I polish I spray the area with Isopropyl mixed with water and it removes anything that is left over by the polish or compound. This helps show you if you have removed all swirls as well because it removes all oils left from polishing.

Well just my opinion, if you used a PC and a yellow LC pad I just can't see the PC burning paint or ripping the paint for that matter. PC does not have the power to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Well just my opinion, if you used a PC and a yellow LC pad I just can't see the PC burning paint or ripping the paint for that matter. PC does not have the power to do that.
    I beg to differ... and I'm sure Matteo does as well . People have a false sense of security when using the PC. However, when used with the wrong pad / product combo combined with thin paint, the PC can and will do damage. SSR3 is like liquid sandpaper and is made for professionals. The yellow LC pad is also the strongest-- so right off the bat you used the 2 most aggessive things, which you shouldn't have. If the SSR2.5 didn't work with an orange, my next step, if all else failed, would be SSR3 with a polishing pad or maybe a orange light cut pad... SSR3 is a good product if you let the product do the work and if you are careful with it. Did you happen to read this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sive-pads.html? A PC is a great tool but I think you may be pushing its limits with this car. If SSR2.5 and the orange light cut pad didn't remove the swirls, maybe you should think about having someone buff it out with a rotary...

Post Thanks / Like
    yea i dunno ### is going on...when u work it in how hot should the paint feel after?
    Maybe its just the lancer but i dont think i will countiue doing this cuz i prob make it worse

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't continue using the yellow pad and SSR3 ... that's for sure. If you do decide to continue on doing it yourself, try SSR3 with a polishing pad... At this point in time I'm sure you'd rather have the finish look better, not perfect...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast