autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New 2012 Nissan Maxima Super Black

I just picked up a new 12 Maxima in Super Black. I want to keep the car as nice looking and swirl free as I can for as long as I can. I am guessing the dealer polished the car before I bought it. I have washed it twice so far using the two bucket method and I usually use my shop vac to get all the water out of the crevices around lights, body seams, emblems, lug nuts, etc. The paint is in very good shape as it should be but there are some minor swirls and scratches from where the car has been washed and washed setting at the dealers lot. I have Megs 105 and Megs 205, Collinite 845, a selection of Megs Ultimate, some of the XMT line. I have the PC 7424XP with red, blue and black LC pads. I still have the stock white XP pad also.

I am thinking I should just polish and wax the car at this point using the black pads and maintain with a good spray wax this winter.

Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New 2012 Nissan Maxima Super Black

I have a black Altima and we have similar if not the same paint. I also have it in black and I've been too impressed polishng with 205 on a few panels that had a good amount of scratches. The 205 removed the scratches and brought it back to a high gloss all in one step, but I used the tangerine hydro tech pad with my PC 7424. Of course all I had to do after that was to apply a lsp and damn I was talking to myself after parking it outside in the sun. Use a pad product combination with your pads and 205 to test out a 2x2 area. If you like the way the test spot looks, then you should feel more than confident repeating that same technique on every other square inch of paint you have LOL. Let me know how it goes

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully you wont need the #105 at this point. If they are just light surface scratches from a few washings, the #205 should do the job. You may need a pad with more cut though. Something like the Lake Country CCS in white. Apply your sealant/wax with the red or blue pad. I'm not a big spray wax user so I have no thoughts there. Keep a good coat of sealant on and there's no need to keep adding spray waxes. More rubbing on the paint means more swirls in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not quite up to speed on all the acronyms just. LSP means?

I just came up from looking at my pads again. I also have a set of these pads I have never used, these being the red, blue and tangerine mentioned earlier.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!

I also have some orange and black of this variety.
    CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander

I also have a bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant that I bought specifically for this black Nissan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am not quite up to speed on all the acronyms just. LSP means?

LSP means: Last Step Product, wax or sealant.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie 70 View Post
    I just picked up a new 12 Maxima in Super Black.
    What you really just did is got yourself a second full time job.

Post Thanks / Like

Kaban is right, but it is very rewarding. I cant believe you have the tangerine Hydro tech pads and never used them, and the perfect size man im in the same boat. Try the Tangerine hydro tech pads you have with 205 implementing the techniques you learn from forums and Mike Phillips. I promise you will be happy as hell, that is what i started off with for light cut and high gloss until i got the sf4000 from Menzerna. There are many products to choose from but you have quality products that will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    What you really just did is got yourself a second full time job.

This is at least my 8th black vehicle and while I agree they are a lot of work, they just look so good for that 15 minutes they are clean!!

I have never really put in the effort that the guys on this forum go to. I would like to keep this one looking as good as possible. I really need to get after my wifes H3 but that is another subject for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaHen View Post
    LSP means: Last Step Product, wax or sealant.

Thanks for the info. That is easy enough to remember. I have several LSP to choose from around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I am going to be working with. So far I am very happy with the car. That's a lotta black!!