autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie has a question. Already tried the search function.

I just bought a new 2012 Black Acura TL. Now, I want to keep it pristine looking. Before I found this board I bought a bunch of Zaino products because that is what I used on my Camaro Z28 many years ago. My plan was to wash, clay if I time this weekend, and then use Z5 polish. Is this enough? I've been reading about sealants and waxes. I'm not really sure how a polish relates to protecting the paint and how it compares to a sealant or wax. Should I put something on top of the Z5 polish or is that enough?

Also, I bought some 303 for my dash. What should I use before the 303 to clean the dash? I've spent $200+ on cleaning products and didn't get anything to clean the dash on my car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie has a question. Already tried the search function.

That polish also acts as a sealant, so you could just use that.

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino uses some quaint terminology (just like Duragloss....hmmm). Their "polishes" are sealants, so you can use Z5 just like any other sealant that is talked about here. There is some semantic difference between Z2 and Z5 (just like the several Duragloss "polishes"...hmm), but they are just sealants, and IME, bead like no other (including Duragloss).

As far as cleaning the dash before 303, if the car is new, unless the dealer slathered some greasy kid stuff on there, you should be fine just putting the 303 on. You may already have something you can use in your $200 arsenal, ONR, some very diluted APC, or some Woolite from the supermarket (diluted 10:1).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Zaino uses some quaint terminology (just like Duragloss....hmmm). Their "polishes" are sealants, so you can use Z5 just like any other sealant that is talked about here. There is some semantic difference between Z2 and Z5 (just like the several Duragloss "polishes"...hmm), but they are just sealants, and IME, bead like no other (including Duragloss).
    Hmmm...are you saying that Zaino is the same product as Duragloss? Is Duragloss or Zaino a good product? When I had my 2001 Camaro it was very highly regarded, but a lot could have changed. Will Zaino protect my paint or am I wasting my time and my money on it? The polish will bead on the surface?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying that there are too many similarities and coincidences for Zaino and Duragloss not to be related somehow. But I have not found them to be the "same" (well, the old Z16 seems to be identical to one of the DG tire dressings, and the leather stuff seems to be very close as well...oh, I forgot FC&C IS Z6, as far as I can tell).

Zaino sealants (Z2 and Z5) are excellent products, I have been less impressed with their WOWA sealant (ZCS) but I have the original version. I was saying that Z2 and Z5 bead water like no other sealant IME, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. IME they are the only sealants that have "Collinite" beading.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Zaino sealants (Z2 and Z5) are excellent products, I have been less impressed with their WOWA sealant (ZCS) but I have the original version. I was saying that Z2 and Z5 bead water like no other sealant IME, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. IME they are the only sealants that have "Collinite" beading.[/QUOTE]

Not to bug you, but why is beading a bad thing? Wouldn't that help in eliminating water spots in the future?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mambwe View Post
    Not to bug you, but why is beading a bad thing? Wouldn't that help in eliminating water spots in the future?
    Maybe, but it could help in CREATING water spots in the future. Generally I would consider it a good thing, it sure makes you feel like you've done something to your paint when it beads, and beads, and beads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred wax/polish/sealant for a black car? Seems like there are a hundred different options. Is any one brand better for let's say black paint than another brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mambwe View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is your preferred wax/polish/sealant for a black car? Seems like there are a hundred different options. Is any one brand better for let's say black paint than another brand?
    There are so many good sealants and waxes. If I was starting over I would use a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) because it is stupid easy, you can put it on any surface and it will work, no worries about residue, etc.

And there is such a big selection now, you have the Zaino, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima UPGP, and the Blackfire product.

Mike Phillips

There's lots of great "protection" products on the market, the key is finding one "you" like and then use it often enough to maintain the paint to a finish quality that meets your expectations.

"Find something you like and use it often"

Zaino beads water like crazy and it beads it for a long time. As long as you don't have something corrosive in the water drying on the paint and eating past the Zaino and leaving water "etchings" in the paint then heck yeah, beading looks cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast