autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting racked over the coals on AG shipping costs

I place my orders for over $95 and use the free shipping code too. By the time that I usually add the shipping cost most orders that I place are usually close to that amount or more anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy from AG because it's the only place that's stocks almost everything I need. Other places just don't have the selection. The customer service is great, so no problems there. Occasionally some other place will have something AG doesn't carry, so I will order elsewhere.

But I really don't understand complaining about shipping. Spend $95 and it's free. That's pretty rare. I think the real issue is people get pissed because the sales can't be used along with free shipping. They have 10-15% off sales, then the amount saved is less than the shipping would be, making the sale useless unless you spend over $250.00 or so.

Really, all you need to do is vote with your dollars. If shipping is to expensive and stuff in cheaper elsewhere, just but it there. Problem solved. However, AG has a massive inventory, and inventory on the shelves cost money. They have to make it up somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Shipping prices are high across the board, it's not as if ag is out to make extra money off of shipping.
    I agree. I just paid $48 shipping on a 24lb. package coming from Kentucky to PA. OUCH!!! I needed the stuff so I had to pay it. It surely goes along with the national economy and fuel charges.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're a business owner using AG's products than the key is to plan ahead for your inventory. On the other hand, if you're a small business (Mobile operation like myself), than having too much inventory is not difficult, in which case you simply purchase smaller product as needed. When buying product needed immediately for a job that comes up suddenly, than you have to look locally.

It's hard when the product needed is something like Opti-Coat for a customer who wants it done yesterday and the only place to get this stuff is through the internet. That's when you're hit with high shipping costs.

Walmart has jumped up their automotive isle, but when you need something like Meg's 105, it's not available, even the local automotive stores don't have much as far as quality product. AG is about 3 hours away from my home so if I order in the morning, it will arrive via ups the very next day. On the other hand, with AG only a few hours away from my home, I would think that shipping costs would be a lot lower than what they are, but they are not.

I know if you order from another source, the shipping costs are lower, yet the item cost is higher. It's all a numbers game in the retail business... some retailers make up for it in the shipping (which isn't right in my opinion), while others make it up in the mark up of the product itself. AG's product prices are competitive, so when you place an order for over $95 using your member code than over all, that's a pretty nifty deal. Over all. AG is one of those companies that exercises out standing customer service, a rarity these days.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just be glad you're not an international customer.... that $20 would seem like chump change for shipping if you ordered internationally.
    Exactly! I just paid several hundred dollars (shipping only). But it is fair to say that AG got me a deal cheaper than if I had done it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I buy from AG because it's the only place that's stocks almost everything I need. Other places just don't have the selection. The customer service is great, so no problems there. Occasionally some other place will have something AG doesn't carry, so I will order elsewhere.

But I really don't understand complaining about shipping. Spend $95 and it's free. That's pretty rare. I think the real issue is people get pissed because the sales can't be used along with free shipping. They have 10-15% off sales, then the amount saved is less than the shipping would be, making the sale useless unless you spend over $250.00 or so.

Really, all you need to do is vote with your dollars. If shipping is to expensive and stuff in cheaper elsewhere, just but it there. Problem solved. However, AG has a massive inventory, and inventory on the shelves cost money. They have to make it up somehow.
    The fact that AG is almost a one-stop shop is priceless. If I had something like that in Europe...I would be broke!

AG sales are good for international customers: we never have free shipping so we get the rebate - you guys are the ones who have to choose (free shipping or rebate)!

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping Information

Shipping is based on price of order, not on weight.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    I never look at shipping as a separate expense. I add the items plus the shipping and see what the item is actually costing me. Companies can offer free shipping always with no minimum order, just hide the cost in every item. They could offer everything in their store for free, just charge even more outrageous shipping.

Most do something in the middle. And since most consumers look at the price of the item first, companies find they can attract customers with lower prices and.make it up in shipping charges. At the point of seeing the shipping you have so much time and effort invested you just pay it, get mad, post to a forum, but you pay it.

Bottom line, they made a profit on your order. Some of the profit was on the product some of the profit was in shipping. Does it really matter where?

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Scrubs, you mentioned that customer service is a rarity these days. I was thinking just the opposite. I am 50 and can remember no receipt, no return, no possibility. Now many stores offer email receipts (Macys), can track by phone number, hell Walmart just takes it back most of the time. No questions asked seems to be more the norm.

So perhaps it is more accurate to say less skilled employees are servicing customers with better policies and better tech. But I believe consumers never had it this good, at least based on policies.

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DJBAILEY, unfortunately you didn't know about the "AGO" coupon code. The code provides free shipping for orders over $95 dollars. Since you spent over $100, you would have qualified. Next time.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also always factor in the cost of shipping into each item to determine the final price before purchase. I think what most people feel uneasy about is for example if an order comes out to $75, that's now an automatic $19 for shipping even if the weight is 1 or 2 lbs. To me that's clearly a bit over the top. Working in the shipping industry the cost of shipping that package is only a fraction so to me that leaves a little bit of uneasiness. Not a lot of companies still base shipping on cost of items but more so on actual weight.

Don't get me wrong I still do business with AG but only when there are promotions or free shipping blocks out. The customer service is excellent!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast