autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Chips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Chips

Hey Guys!

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question (please don't rip me apart if it isn't), I just couldn't find an applicable thread for my question.

So, I have been soaking up as much information as I can on this forum anticipating my new car purchase which was about a month ago. I had the car about two weeks before I felt confident/well equipped enough to give my first wash a go. I began to wash my car when I noticed a chip on my bumper. I was pretty bummed, but I figured when I go in for my oil change I will get an estimate and get it fixed. Today, I went to wash my car once again, and to my dismay I found three more chips. The reason I'm here is I wanted to ask you guys if there is possibly some defect in my paint, or am I just that unlucky when it comes to rocks on the road?

I used:
    CarPro Wool Wash Mitt
    Meg's Gold Class
    Two bucket system with grit guard
    Micro Fiber Towels to Dry

Here are some pics of the paint chips:
    Chip #1:

Chip #2:

Chip #3:

The goal of this is to know could there be something wrong with the paint? (The car is just over a month old). Also, is there something I could do to stop this from happening?

Thanks so much!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Chips

Pics 1 & 2 are the same the pic below should be the first picture. (This is the chip I found on my first wash.).....I could not find the edit button for the life of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!

Your best bet is the Dr. Color Chip method.

REVIEW - Dr.Colorchip paint chip repair system - Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - Premium Custom Detailing

Using the search feature and Dr Color Chip will bring/locate a wealth of additional
    information on Dr Color Chip.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like
    There is likely nothing wrong with your paint. It may have to do with where you drive, or the fact that Hondas have soft paint. If you plan on keeping the car in like new condition, get a professionally installed clear bra. The dealer will do nothing for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips are going to happen on a daily driver. Clear bra will protect from this. I have used dr. color chip with great success as well
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will check out Dr. Color Chip, I had seen this product and figured I'd either get the OEM touch-up from Honda or this product. Just pretty upset about the chips considering it's so new. As far as the clear bra, I did a quick Google search, seems pretty useful, but would I clean this just as I was cleaning the car if it wasn't there?

Also, my god, thanks for such quick responses!

Post Thanks / Like

Are the white hondas single stage paint? My sister has one and it has a rock chip on the hood and it went straight down to bare metal. Rust has formed were the chip is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike View Post
    Welcome !!!

Your best bet is the Dr. Color Chip method.

REVIEW - Dr.Colorchip paint chip repair system - Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - Premium Custom Detailing

Using the search feature and Dr Color Chip will bring/locate a wealth of additional
    information on Dr Color Chip.

I may be new at this forum, but I've got (literally) decades of car ownership to draw on, and let's just say I've got a Colorchip kit for each one of my cars. Whatcha get for whatcha pay is really good and if ya are like me whereby using typical touch-up paint makes your car look like it's got the measles, then this stuff is the ticket. Don't go expecting "perfect" 'cause perfect don't come in a little box, but if you follow the process you should be quite pleased with your results.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Langka paint repair kits and they are out of this world. There is a process to the repair but it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

The chips seem small enough that you won't need manufacturer touch up paint, so the previously mentioned options should work.

In addition to a clear bra you might want to add a coating for added protection, opti-coat, gtechic EXO or cquartz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast