autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Winter Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter Car Care

I am sure we are all not looking forward to winter, but while cleaning my car this past weekend, the topic came to mind...

During the winter months I do not have the ability hand wash my cars. I live in the North East and cannot wash my cars inside my garage. Typically during the winters, I will go to a touchless car wash. Are there any products or tips that will help me get the most out of the touchless washes during the winter months? Any other general tips for winter care?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Car Care

I would avoid the touchless car washes...they do more harm than good.

Start here for some winter tips
    Winterizing Your Car's Exterior, Winter car wash Tips, Preping your car for winter
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a laser wash, so nothing ever comes in contact with the vehicles...Is this still something I should avoid? I get a ton of salt on the cars in the winter so I feel like at least having the jets of water spray it help.

Post Thanks / Like

Living in the Northeast as well I have found a routine that works for me. I go a little crazy with protecting my finish then. Two coats of sealant and two or even three coats of 845.

For washing, I try to find a day where the temperature isn't close to freezing, probably around 40+. I go to the local wash bay and bring a wash mitt, bucket with grit guard, ONR solution in a spray bottle, ONR undiluted, car soap.

I start by spraying the car with the ONR solution to loosen up some of the road grime, then pressure wash the car with water, the fill my bucket up with 2.5 gallons of water, add ONR and soap and start washing.

I really don't try to get every crack and crevice clean though. It's just going to get all salty again once I drive on the road.

Then do a final rinse and towel dry with a WW towel. I don't try to make it absolutely streak free and perfect because it won't stay like that for long. My main goal is to just get the road salt and sand off my paint.

I have really been looking at coating my car with Cquartz since you can layer it multiple times and it resists dirt. Just something you should look into as well.

Also, the touchless washes will most definitely strip your LSP if you go through it a couple of times.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cqcx0Y4KjU&feature=related]HOW TO WASH A CAR The fastest car wash in Malaysia at Supwave Automobile Car Care Centre - YouTube[/video]

Don't go to this guy....Same mitts the whole way around
    Mark
    Go Orange!
    Seasonal Depression Disease

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will visit the local wash bay with my own products from now on. I know the soaps used at the laser washes pretty much strip away any sealers on the paint, but I always get nervous about actually washing my paint with a mitt in the winter because of all the road sand and salt that I get. I live in New Hampshire...

Thanks for the tip.