autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange Peel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange Peel

Those 5000 grit discs look pretty sweet. I wonder how much they would reduce orange peel by themselves, compared to starting with 1500 and working towards the 5000.

If they could cut down the orange peel on my Vette without substantially reducing UV ( car is garaged so much it wont matter as much as a daily driver ), I might consider giving them a shot. Im going to repaint my roof and halo black, so I might use them as a test.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're making the smart decision to just live with it. I have it on my Challenger, and it's true that it doesn't stand out until you polish everything else to a high shine. 95% of people won't notice anyway, and another 3% will know and understand that it's just not worth it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Those 5000 grit discs look pretty sweet. I wonder how much they would reduce orange peel by themselves, compared to starting with 1500 and working towards the 5000.

If they could cut down the orange peel on my Vette without substantially reducing UV ( car is garaged so much it wont matter as much as a daily driver ), I might consider giving them a shot. Im going to repaint my roof and halo black, so I might use them as a test.

If you just knock down the tops on say the horizontal surfaces, the areas most people "look" at when looking at a car to size up the quality of the paint job then you could easily get away with it...

Just have a quality compound on hand to remove the sanding marks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kmsdetailing View Post
    Thanks everyone for the response. I really do appreciate it.
    Since it's factory painted and it really doesn't bother me since many other Challengers have it and it's just not mine, I can live with it.

In fact, in 1984, I purchased a Monte Carlo SS in white and it had orange peel although, it was more noticeable.

I guess if you look hard enough, you can, most of the time, find fault.

Again, thanks eveyone.
    Welcome to Chrysler paint I thought Nissan's paint was bad on my silver 350Z, it doesn't have anything on the black forest green on my Jeep. I did kind of notice it adds to the shimmer effect of the really shiny metallic paint in the bright sunlight though, so maybe it's actually a feature? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is that once you get a panel totally flat, it will now show everything and marr much easier. My Z has factory peel and it doesnt get swirls hardly at all. My chevelle is peel free and I can look at it wrong and marr it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 6supersport7 View Post
    Another thing to consider is that once you get a panel totally flat, it will now show everything and marr much easier. My Z has factory peel and it doesnt get swirls hardly at all. My chevelle is peel free and I can look at it wrong and marr it.

That's correct.

The more you perfect the paint the easier it is for any single defect to stand out like a sore thumb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you feel orange peel when you do the plastic bag test?

Reason I ask is because I recently polished my jeep. Prior to polishing I did a round of iron x and used a fairly heavy clay to prep the surface but even after polishing the surface doesn't feel as smooth as it should be.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post

Can you feel orange peel when you do the plastic bag test?

IF it looks as bad as this you won't even need the plastic baggie...

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post

Reason I ask is because I recently polished my jeep. Prior to polishing I did a round of iron x and used a fairly heavy clay to prep the surface but even after polishing the surface doesn't feel as smooth as it should be.
    Does the paint "look" horribly orange peeled?

Does the paint feel the same on horizontal surfaces as it does on vertical surfaces?

How does the glass feel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    IF it looks as bad as this you won't even need the plastic baggie...

Does the paint "look" horribly orange peeled?

Does the paint feel the same on horizontal surfaces as it does on vertical surfaces?

How does the glass feel?

Paint doesn't look horrible .. Certainly not as bad as that car you just posted as an example! And I only notice it in direct sunlight when I'm up close, mainly on the vertical surfaces like the doors.

To be honest with you I only did the Baggie test on my hood, that was the first panel I polished. It got a little smoother after the clay and iron x but nowhere near as smooth as the gas tank on my Harley.

I'm a little busy today but I'll be sure to Baggie test the other surfaces as well as the glass and report back my findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Was that paint rolled on in the above pics. If someone painted my car for free I still wouldnt accept that bad of peel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast