autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orange Peel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange Peel

I agree to just live with it. I have two new Audi's and they both have orange peel in them. I think almost all new cars have it to some extent from what I've seen. Only car geeks like us notice it, but it is there. I don't know if it has something to do with VOC laws and new paint formulas the auto makers now use, but painting seems to have become a lost art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Can you feel orange peel when you do the plastic bag test?

Reason I ask is because I recently polished my jeep. Prior to polishing I did a round of iron x and used a fairly heavy clay to prep the surface but even after polishing the surface doesn't feel as smooth as it should be.

To be quite honest, I didn't even do the test. I knew that I wanted to do the process since I really did nothing else than to wash and wax it.

I was really happy with the results and again, it's something I caught at a certain angle with the sunlight just right.

It doesn't bother me as long as it wasn't something I did.

My Acura vehicles don't have it at all. Someone the other day posted that Honda/Acura has very thin paint. I hope I don't run into any problems with doing the process on those vehicles.

Since I don't know much about paint, I hope this isn't an issue as I expect more from the Honda/Acura line. They make very good vehicles, IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinwhiskers View Post
    I agree to just live with it. I have two new Audi's and they both have orange peel in them. I think almost all new cars have it to some extent from what I've seen. Only car geeks like us notice it, but it is there. I don't know if it has something to do with VOC laws and new paint formulas the auto makers now use, but painting seems to have become a lost art.
    I'm going to leave it alone. I just caught it a certain way with the sun just right. Otherwise, I didn't even notice it until I did the complete detail and even then, it took a certain angle to notice it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kmsdetailing View Post
    To be quite honest, I didn't even do the test. I knew that I wanted to do the process since I really did nothing else than to wash and wax it.

I was really happy with the results and again, it's something I caught at a certain angle with the sunlight just right.

It doesn't bother me as long as it wasn't something I did.

My Acura vehicles don't have it at all. Someone the other day posted that Honda/Acura has very thin paint. I hope I don't run into any problems with doing the process on those vehicles.

Since I don't know much about paint, I hope this isn't an issue as I expect more from the Honda/Acura line. They make very good vehicles, IMO
    I had a couple of Acura's too and agree they are great cars, but the paint is thin. I had a brand new red TSX and any little speck of dust seemed to cause a paint chip. It only happened on the hood but there were hundreds. Acura actually agreed that the paint was too thin and reprinted my hood for free. That's great customer service IMO.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 6supersport7 View Post
    Was that paint rolled on in the above pics. If someone painted my car for free I still wouldnt accept that bad of peel.
    I don't know much about the paint job on the GTO and the car has been sold and is long gone...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123