autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you photograph orange peel?

Having a hard time getting a photo to match what it looks like with the eyes. Is there a trick to capturing orange peel with a camera? A certain angle, a certain type of light (I'm guessing no flash would be best), or camera settings that work best?

Post Thanks / Like
    <b>How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera</b><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Due credit where credit is due</b><br />
    This article was originally written by me, (Mike Phillips), and posted to MeguiarsOnline on <b>May 28th, 2006</b> and it can be found here,<br />
    <br />
    <font color="blue"><b>How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera</b></font><br />
    <br />
    Sometimes I will try to re-write articles I have written on the Internet and sometimes it's really hard to re-write what I've already written, in these cases it's easier to share the original article and provide a link back to the originating site out of respect for the other site and the law, and for good reasons of good <i><b>Netiquette</b></i>. I don't like seeing my articles stolen or re-written by others and then seeing my worked presented as someone else's and wouldn't do that to anyone else.<br />
    <br />
    -Mike Phillips
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    A few tips and techniques for helping your camera to focus on the surface so you can capture the defects in the paint you're hoping to remove. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Finger Pointing Focus Technique</b><br />
    Besides figuring out the right camera setting for your specific camera, another quick, simple way to help your camera focus on a defect you're trying to capture with a picture is to simply place your <b>index finger</b> close to the defect on or hovering over the finish then carefully captures a few pictures and in most cases you'll get a couple you can use on the Internet. This works for Swirls, Scratches, Etchings, Water Spots both Type I and Type II, Stains, Oxidation, etc. Basically anything on the surface. The reason you need to give the camera something to focus on is because often times when taking shots of a large, uniform, flat surface, once any focus points are zoomed out of the picture your camera has nothing to sense and focus on.<br />
    <br />
    <b>Detailing Clay</b><br />
    You can also use a little piece of detailing clay because in most cases you have some detailing clay around. If the paint is clean and it should when trying to capture pictures of surface defects, then when you're done taking your pictures you should be okay to put the little piece of clay back into the large piece you took it from or just through it away. A small piece will work fine. (See picture below).<br />
    <br />
    <b>Coin</b><br />
    A coin can also be used if the surface is flat and horizontal like the hood. Place the coin carefully onto the paint so as not to instill a scratch. If you already have a flawless, swirl-free finish then maybe stick with the finger or clay technique. If you're getting ready to buff the car out then as long as you're careful you'll be okay; remember you're going to be buffing out the paint and likely the defect you're trying to capture with a picture.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Cobweb Swirls or Cobweb-Effect</b><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Detailing Clay</b><br />
    Another way to help your camera focus on a surface defect is to place something on the surface of the paint, for example in the below picture we placed a small piece of detailing clay on the paint, then let the camera auto focus and wa-la, perfectly captured swirls, scratches and a bird dropping etching in the paint.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Random, Isolated Deeper Scratch</b><br />
    <font color="blue"><b>Scratch Removed using Ultimate Compound</b></font> <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>An Isolated Bird Dropping Etching</b><br />
    <font color="blue"><b>How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound</b></font> <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <font color="purple"><b><i>Photos courtesy of MeguiarsOnline.com</i></b></font><br />
    <br />
    <br />

Here is an article by Mike Philips, it will help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what happened, I just copied and pasted but you can still read it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you photograph orange peel?

The key to capturing orange peel is to get a reflection shot. Have an object in the reflection. With orange peel the object in the reflection will not be crisp and the edges will appear wavy.

After fixing the orange peel, the reflection should be sharp and crisp.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Hold your camera up to an orange and snap the picture... Duh

Post Thanks / Like

"Mike Phillip's Articles" has some excellent: 'How to point and shoot' tips.

BTW...
    Recently I got a pretty good photo...(not so much of "orange peel", per se)...
    but of an alleged: shopping-spree incident for something freshly-squeezed...
    between my Buddy's soon to be "ex-" and a 'fruit-handler'!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Because taking digital photos are pretty inexpensive take lots!!

1. Try parking the car in full light.
    2. Set the camera to Macro mode for those closeup shots and you should get something acceptable..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette