autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Plan of Attack this Year, thoughts?

Thanks for stopping by my thread, need some opinions from the gurus. This will be my third year doing my detail on my 2010 accord and I'm looking to mix things up in products and approach in terms of 'paint correction' if you can call it that since I never break out an aggressive product or pad with my PCD 7424xp, nothing more than a polish (M205) has been used on my car previously to correct swirl marks and hard water spots. I quoted my previous thread that outlined my whole detail but specifically I'm doing a few things differently and wanted to make sure I have the right approach.

This year I decided to scrap using the Klasse twins and the M205 and am going to give an AIO product a chance to consolidate the AIO/Polish into one step. After applying that product, I was planning on applying a layer of Black Hole Glaze, then two coats of PB Sealant with Carnuba since I can apply 60 minutes apart. Lastly I ordered optimum optiseal and was planning on having that be my final sealant.

Applying the optiseal at this point was one part of the detail I was unsure about, should I apply this now, or prior to the two coats of PB sealant with Carnuba after the black hole?

In summary I plan on doing the following...

Wash with Dawn and Grout Sponge
    Clay with ONR as clay lube
    Quick Rinse to remove any ONR residue
    Polish with PB Polish with Sealant with Orange Pad
    PB Black Hole Glaze with Gray Pad
    Two Coats of PB Sealant with Carnuba with Blue Pad
    Optimum OptiSeal by hand
    Wait overnight Spray and Wipe dust off
    PB QW+by hand
    Mother's Reflections Advanced Top Coat by hand

If I should mix up the order at all, let me know. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and give me some feedback.

Below is a quote from my detail thread from last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypenguin View Post
    Thanks guys, the detail is done and it couldn't have been better weather to do it other than the sprinkle of rain yesterday. It will be a year till the car gets detailed like this again. In 6 months I'll winterize but no paint correction. Though I would hardly call what I do correcting paint, I'm too much of a pansy to go aggressive on my paint. Below is the list of what I did for this detail, all together I invested 16 hours over 5 days...
    Engine:
    Cleaned with CD2
    Interior
    Cleaned Mats with P21S TAW
    Removed Carpet Stains with Stoner's Carpet Cleaner
    Vacuumed Carpet & Trunk
    Applied Stoner's Fabrotex to Scotch guard carpet
    Dusted Dash
    Cleaned and protected Dash, and Leather with Klasse Interior Cleaner
    Cleaned windows with Stoner's Invisible Glass
    Applied Lexol Vinylex to Trunk Liner
    Wheels:
    Removed Wheels
    Washed Wheels using meguiars gold class soap and 4 brushes. (Tire, Spoke, Face, Lug Nut)
    Clayed Wheels with DP Clay used Meguiars LSP as lube
    Applied Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
    Applied Mother Reflections Top Coat
    Washed Fender Liner
    Scrubbed Wheel Wells with Meguiars Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner
    Dressed Vinyl pieces with CD2
    Dressed other portion of wheel well using cheapo Tire Shine
    Paint:
    Washed Car with Meguiars Gold Class Soap using 2 bucket method
    Clayed paint using DP clay and Meguiars LSP as lube
    Washed Car again with Meg's Gold Class
    Taped Off Car
    Applied Meguiar's M205 with 4" Orange Pad on Hood, Trunk, Rear Bumper, Doors, Roof and Rear Fenders. Didn't Bother with the front bumper, wasn't impressed with how the clear bra was coming out using M205, I will try a different product next year
    IPA where polished
    Klasse AIO with 5.5" White Pad
    Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze with 5.5" Gray Pad
    Klasse Sealant with 5.5" Blue Pad
    S100 Wax with 5.5" Red Pad
    Coat of Poorboy's Spray Wax
    Mother's Reflection Top Coat with 5.5" Red Pad
    Meg's LSP
    Here's is the gallery from today....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Plan of Attack this Year, thoughts?

Your car looks very nice, but boy that sure is a lot of redundant steps you have. I'm not sure why, since you are planning to use a durable glaze topped by three layers of LSP, that you need to use an AIO polish instead of a dedicated one like M205. I presume the "PB Sealant with Carnauba" is EX? Also, that QW+ has cleaners, I would really advise against using something that will remove part of your hard work from the day before.

I think you will find that all that layering will not get you as much as you think in either the looks or durability dept.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Plan of Attack this Year, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Your car looks very nice, but boy that sure is a lot of redundant steps you have. I'm not sure why, since you are planning to use a durable glaze topped by three layers of LSP, that you need to use an AIO polish instead of a dedicated one like M205. I presume the "PB Sealant with Carnauba" is EX? Also, that QW+ has cleaners, I would really advise against using something that will remove part of your hard work from the day before.

I think you will find that all that layering will not get you as much as you think in either the looks or durability dept.
    Thanks for the reply. Which other steps would you omit aside from the qw+? Should I only polish using my AIO and seal with opti seal, than top with mothers reflections the following day?

Though I've been willing to spend a full day detailing in the past, my goal this year was to cut my detail time down. If I'm not gaining a thing by layering or adding extra products in the mix I'm all for omitting them. You are correct the sealant with carnauba I was going to use is poorboys ex, I could always top with this a couple weeks after my detail for a little added protection.

One more thing as for the qw+ being used as my spray was between 6 month details, is it abrasive enough it will strip sealant ? Thanks again for shedding light to a newb.