autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Compound vs Ultimate Polish?

Hey guys noob here. I bought an 89 BMW e30 thats been in the sun for at least a decade. I bought a PC 7424XP with an orange and black pad, XMT 360, AND THE PINNACLE twins. Without desired results.
    I've read a a lot of you guys' posts and comments about Meguiars Utltimate compound so I picked one up as well as the Ultimate Polish, Clay kit, quick detailer and quick wax.
    So I clayed it and hit it with compound and the PC at speed 5 with the orange pad and the results are AMAZING but when does the polish come in?
    Here's a crappy phone pic of the improvement:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate Compound vs Ultimate Polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Edse30 View Post
    Hey guys noob here. I bought an 89 BMW e30 thats been in the sun for at least a decade. I bought a PC 7424XP with an orange and black pad, XMT 360, AND THE PINNACLE twins. Without desired results.
    I've read a a lot of you guys' posts and comments about Meguiars Utltimate compound so I picked one up as well as the Ultimate Polish, Clay kit, quick detailer and quick wax.
    So I clayed it and hit it with compound and the PC at speed 5 with the orange pad and the results are AMAZING but when does the polish come in?
    Here's a crappy phone pic of the improvement:
    after compound with blk pad
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. What speed should i use? Follow that with wax? I just have the spray wax, would that work or should I buy another one?
    Thanks again and sorry for all the questions. I'm the kind of guy that washed his car once every six months cause I got a voucher at the oil change place but I'm trying really hard to make this one look awesome and keep it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you clayed it then compounded it the next step is to polish. I use a white pad on 5-6. Once that is done I follow up with the black pad and ultimate wax (Liquid). I buff with a blue pad that has a microfiber bonnet. Wax is applied on a 3 or 4.

Post Thanks / Like

You may not even need to polish on that BMW paint. do a test spot and see if it even provides more clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use megs UP on a 4 or 4 1/2 with a white pad. After I would use a sealant or wax. The polish is really more for finessing the finish, IMO. UC gets rid of the heavy stuff, swirls, oxidation ect. If it adds more clarity, go for it!

Happy detailing!
    Who said you had to be a guy to like detailing?
    Eva

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your help guys, makes a guy feel welcome.
    I hit it with a black pad and the ultimate polish but found no difference, I even did the masking tape technique but nothing so I just finished it off with the PC and a hand pad on tight areas.
    Can you recomend a good-gr8 over-the-counter wax for white paint? Can I wait till tomorrow to apply it or will I need to do this again if I wait? This is my DD.
    Might I add, HOOOOLY SMOKES!!!! It looks awesome after the UC, which in turn makes my wheels look terrible. Good OTC wheel cleaner for baked on brake dust?

Post Thanks / Like

you should probably take the wheels off and temper your expectations. If brake dust is allowed to cake on, then it actually eats into the wheel.

Try hitting it with megs wheel brightener and use the proper precautions. Some people have had good results using iron x paste too.

Duragloss 501/601 is the stuff for white paint
    collinite 845 is also quite good and can be put on your wheels once they are clean

you might also want to consider a coating as white paint really is tough to keep clean
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I have completely abandoned any polish as such (however no experience with UP). Don't see any point or improvement in using a polish at all!

From compounding I'd go straight to sealant/wax of your choice.

As for wax, I recently bought Collonite 845 and fell in love immediately. Then I ordered 3 more bottles of the 845
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edse30 View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys, makes a guy feel welcome.
    I hit it with a black pad and the ultimate polish but found no difference, I even did the masking tape technique but nothing so I just finished it off with the PC and a hand pad on tight areas.
    Can you recomend a good-gr8 over-the-counter wax for white paint? Can I wait till tomorrow to apply it or will I need to do this again if I wait? This is my DD.
    Might I add, HOOOOLY SMOKES!!!! It looks awesome after the UC, which in turn makes my wheels look terrible. Good OTC wheel cleaner for baked on brake dust?
    Use some meguiars all wheels for the brake dust. Brush to agitate would be good. And yes, you should take the wheels off to make your wheels cleaning efforts more effective. Follow the instructions and make sure you rinse it off before it dries!

For wax, if you can't get the duragloss or collinite mentioned, just get some meguiars cleaner wax paste or liquid if you prefer. Use the cleaner wax often and you'll keep your white paint nice and slick. Wait, you have XMT 360? Why not just use that for now? You could also give meguiars hi-tech yellow wax a try if you want to try something different. Like their cleaner wax, it's also an oldie but a goodie. Mother's also makes good wax. And finally, that meguiar's ultimate quik wax you got is really nice to use after giving the car a wash. If you've finished correcting your car late and just want to pack it in, just go over it quickly with ultimate quik wax until you can put something more durable on later.
    ...Rick
    Team Flex 3401 / PE14-2 150 Time to show black paint who's boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast