autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got a PC 7424xp, pad question

Ok i apologize in advance, i used the search button and it answered lots of the questions i will not ask, but terms of pads. All i have is the white pad that the PC came with, is this safe to use with MG swirl remover, then after that process im assuming im going to need a seperate pad to apply and remove wax and sealant, even if i was able to wash the white pad. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got a PC 7424xp, pad question

Quote Originally Posted by jperraul View Post
    Ok i apologize in advance, i used the search button and it answered lots of the questions i will not ask, but terms of pads. All i have is the white pad that the PC came with, is this safe to use with MG swirl remover, then after that process im assuming im going to need a seperate pad to apply and remove wax and sealant, even if i was able to wash the white pad. Thanks for the help
    That white foam pad that came with your buffer isn't what youre going to want to use. Your going to need to pick up a hoop and loop back plate and some buffing pads. Check out this comparison chart of all the Lake Country buffing pads. Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

opie_7afe

the white pad that came with it is about the same texture as my Lake country white polishing pads, so yes that pad will work for the swirl remover just clean pad often....and if you really want to polish id suggest getting the 6 pack of 5.5" pads and a 5" backing plate get 2 orange 2 white 1 black 1 red id suggest more pads but for just starting out it will be fine unless you have some super soft paint.also, once you use a pad for wax it will be tough to get the wax out so minds well keep it for that one type of wax..minds well get some other products if you make a pad order. can get m105/m205 in 8oz sizes and other products in smaller sizes. another good product combo one is optimum compound II and optimum polish II.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice, can you critique my process

Step 1 Wash and clay

Step 2 Orange pad with compound II

Step 3 Orange pad with m105

Step 4 White pad with m205

Step 5 Grey pad with meguires wax

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on a few things. What kind of condition is the paint in ? What exactly are you trying to accomplish ? What color are you working on ? Is it a ceramic clear coat like on a Vette which is really hard ? Please give more information about what you are trying to do.

This is a good thread to read.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-job-done.html

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well just to answer some of your questions before i read, the paint on the car hasnt been washed in over two years, major swirls and spider webs, the color is red and i really couldnt tell you how hard or soft the paint is. Assuming its hard being that the car is a 96, what i looking to accomplish is a show room finish with what i got, i want a wet red paint look. thanks for you comments

Post Thanks / Like

Question to jperraul and the group: Aren't steps 2 and 3 doing the same action or is M105 different than compounding? Or are you doing a 2 step compounding?
    My process:
    1- Wash and clay
    2- M105 on orange LC 5.5" flat pad on PC7424
    3- M205 on white " "
    4- Megs #7 on black " "
    5- Megs #26 on red " "
    My logic is to clean, remove surface debris, cut out oxidation and swirls, polish out compound marks, glaze for making pretty and wax her for protection

Post Thanks / Like

First things first; no apologizes for anyone trying to learn!!

Typically, the pads that come with polishers aren't the best. However, if you just want to practice a bit to get the feel of your polisher and possibly see some improvement.

You should have a few pads on hand. Take care not to cross contaminate by using lets say a Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax and Collinite 845. Use a separate pad for each.

Foam Pads

To simplify pad usage, I've given a generic usage of pads and products.

Compounding

Compounds or aggressive products are generally used on firmer pads, Yellow, Orange, Green, and White.

Polishing

The White and Gray pads are generally used with polishes.

Sealants & Waxes

Blue and Red foam pads work nicely for applying sealants and waxes.
    These are a very good choice of pads for the Porter Cable stye dual action polisher..

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby, you are one of the reasons I joined these forums. I mean that. Great info and links aplenty. I hope Meghan links you to new members. The 'Vette in your post ain't too terrible either.
    Thanks!
    jperraul, stick with these forums and you'll get that wet look you're going for.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

will do , I see bobbys name pop up alot in my searches so i was hoping to get some input, sorry if its a reaccuring topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast